MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-08, 21:55
Cameron

Default picture/schematic for starting electrical system?

So I've got a new distributor adapter plate, coil, wires, 2 caps to connect the wires, sparks plugs, battery. Starter is good and runs well, battery cables are good to starter and block. I'm wondering if anyone has a picture of how they've set up their electrical circuit to do an engine start and run. We're in the process of redoing the dash so all the gauges, switches are all out. All the valves are opening and closing, really clean, the pistons are clean and running smooth too!.

Essentially I need to know how to safely wire up the above components so that we can start (and stop!) our UC and make sure the engine is running ok.

Can someone help me out?

Cameron
Old 09-04-08, 02:20

Here is a diagram of how my UC wiring is setup. This is the minimum amount of wiring needed to have the engine run.

I also just realized that the MK2 system is a bit different as it uses a starter handle vs the starter button (Mk1) on the dash.

Im working on making up a schematic for the whole system.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiringdiagram01.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-04-08, 15:14
Cameron

thanks a ton Jordan!! That's exactly what I need! 1 other quick question, I've ordered new distributor caps along with the new wires. Do the distributor caps have the numbers 1 to 4 listed on them or is there a way to indicate which wires go where? Going from memory I think there is a notch to align the cap within the housing. Any ideas?

Cameron
Old 09-04-08, 15:47

There should be a notch to align the caps. The caps I bought had both sets of numbers on them for each side.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 10-04-08, 11:32
Bluebell

Default Start up

Cameron, you might need to sort out your charging system before you fire her up, or you may do damage to your genny, regulator ,or cutout.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 13-04-08, 13:16
Cameron

Hi Lynn

you're about 3 steps ahead of me!! Nice to know from my point of view!!

Can you explain how you'd suggest the setup should be? As I've said before, our UC was vandalized and the wiring is a mess. So far I've completed what Alex has drawn in this same thread. I haven't tried to start it yet as we're still working on the intake manifold, the carb and fuel pump. The dash is another story and we're in the process of redoing it completely. The generator looks to be in good shape but I haven't done a thing to it. I'd assume we should be spinning it somehow and determining if it's putting out a charge. Can you elaborate on what you'd suggest from a testing and wiring point of view? We are keeping it a 6 volt setup, have all new electrix (wires, coil, points, plugs, adapter plate battery). Also mentioned before, our goal is to start this UC and show people that it runs. From there we're hoping that people will open their pockets and we can get some $$ donations to complete the job. So, we need to get it running (and charging) but not necessarily moving. This is a jump start sort of situation.

Thanks!

Cameron