MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 12-06-06, 18:13
Dave Good

Default Importing Armor?

I would like to get a FOX FV721 ARMORED CAR and I am looking into importing one from the UK and here is my question.Can you? I am geting the yes you can to no you can't answers.Has any one here imported any type of armored vehicle into Canada recently.If you can,what steps would I have to do as I have never done this before.
Old 13-06-06, 02:51

Dave,
I bought an already plated Ferret here in Montreal, and had 1000 questions fired at me when I did the ownership tranfer. I plated it as a collector vehicle. There are folks in Canada that have armour, like scorpions and scimitars etc. But weather you could import "armour", you'd have to rephrase the vehicle description to Transport Canada and /or Canada Customs. Something to the tune of a "military skidder" or "three person truck". You'll never do it by calling it a "combat reconnaisance vehicle" or "Tank". I have some friends in Customs, I'll ask around. My advise is to try and find something here. It's a burocratic mess!
Old 13-06-06, 04:36
Dave Good

I seen in our local paper a year or two ago that some person north of here in Fort McMurray had brought in a mark 10 Chieftan tank but I don't know what he had to go through to bring it in.The regulations might have changed since then.

Dave
Old 13-06-06, 05:31
In Vino Veritas

Default Chieftan

The Brits maintain an armour base at Wainright , at least in the past. I believe the FOrt Mcmurray one was surplus from them, out of Edmonton. You can always find Unimogs and landrovers and other European stuff for sale in Edmonton because they train nearby.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 13-06-06, 08:04
Dave Good

I don't believe it was a local one as I recall in the artical that it cost him around $35,000 to ship it in from where he purchased it from.
Old 13-06-06, 19:05
In Vino Veritas

Default There you go...

...for that kind of money sounds like he rail car carried it from Halifax. Would a chieftan fit through the rail tunnels in BC?
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 13-06-06, 23:42
RIP

Default Re: Importing Armor?

Quote:
Originally posted by super dave
I would like to get a FOX FV721 ARMORED CAR and I am looking into importing one from the UK and here is my question.Can you? I am geting the yes you can to no you can't answers.Has any one here imported any type of armored vehicle into Canada recently.If you can,what steps would I have to do as I have never done this before.
Dave,

Contact me at clive@servicepub.com and I'll tell you the process. My previous job was at Foreign Affairs where I was responsible for the import and export of military goods. This included various Chieftains, Sextons and other toys.
Old 26-06-06, 22:56

Default British armoured vehicles used at Suffield, AB

Some of the British armoured vehicles used at Suffield Alberta have made it out into collector and museum hands.

The British Columbia Regiment in Vancouver has a restored Ferret with turret, ex-UK forces.
Ashton Armoury Museum in Victoria BC also has one. Theirs came in a trade from a collector, and although I rode in it, I am not sure where he got it from.
Another Ferret with a turret has recently been bought by a BC colelctor from Alan Kerr in Edmonton. It sat in front of his shop for a decade.

Before the Falklands War I spotted and photographed trainloads of British armoured vehicles (Ferrets with red turrets - for safety on the live firing ranges, tanks and APCs) on flatcars at the waterfront in Vancouver, BC. They were apparently being loaded onto a British ship to be returned to the UK.

The ship is now very interesting as it was the Sir Galahad, which was later bombed and lost with great loss of life as the ship's captain had apparently delayed the unloading of the soldiers on board in the Falklands - leaving them a sitting duck for the Argies.

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC