MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 25-06-21, 20:56

Default New recruit checking in

Ladies & Gents. Hello to you all. I've been steered towards you here by some legendary individuals in the Carrier Community. I live in Hampshire on the South Coast of England. I'm a vehicle mechanic by trade & I've owned a small independent garage for the last 26 years.
I also served 18yrs in the British Army Reserves (Class1 Vehicle Mechanic & Class1 Armourer)
My long-term goal has been ownership/restoration of a Carrier. My Grandfather worked on them as a mechanic during the War from Normandy through to Germany. I look forward to contributing on the forum & getting to know many of you in due course.
Regards to you all.
Craig W
(aka Chalkster)

Last edited by Craig W; 26-06-21 at 23:56.
Old 25-06-21, 22:20

Default Welcome

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the carrier purchase.

All questions/queries/comments welcome. There is no such thing as a silly question with this bunch of enthusiasts - whatever it is, in 99.99% of cases, someone will have an answer for you.

Mike
Old 25-06-21, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the carrier purchase.

All questions/queries/comments welcome. There is no such thing as a silly question with this bunch of enthusiasts - whatever it is, in 99.99% of cases, someone will have an answer for you.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Really appreciated. I've certainly heard some very positive comments about this particular site. It's great to know there's such a wealth of knowledge & information shared amongst the membership.
Old 25-06-21, 23:25

Hello Craig,

Welcome to the forum and potential Carrier ownership. I own a Canadian Mk1*, I live in Wiltshire, and also ex REME!

Send me a PM and we can get in contact. I’m happy to help where I can. As soon as this covid situation is under control you’re welcome to come up and have a play around with mine and get familiar with them. We can even take it out on a run to the REME museum cafe for a brew!

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards,

Tom
Old 26-06-21, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Millward View Post
Hello Craig,

Welcome to the forum and potential Carrier ownership. I own a Canadian Mk1*, I live in Wiltshire, and also ex REME!

Send me a PM and we can get in contact. I’m happy to help where I can. As soon as this covid situation is under control you’re welcome to come up and have a play around with mine and get familiar with them. We can even take it out on a run to the REME museum cafe for a brew!

Good luck in your hunt.

Regards,

Tom
Howdo Tom. Blimey! You're almost on the doorstep? I'm just 10 minutes south of Winchester. I'll happily accept your kind offer of arranging a meeting, hopefully in the not too distant future! The museum also sounds like a good visit. Last time I saw any of their exhibits was during my SMC at Arborfield in 2013. Many thanks for your welcoming me here. I'll send my email address via an inbox message.
Craig

Arte et Marte
Old 26-06-21, 06:59

Hi Craig. Mine's a Canadian MK2* in Bournemouth. Also ex motor mechanic, from the days when you could flick the points! I've had a long friendship with the Winchester area......You're not on the Romsey road by any chance?

You're welcome to visit if you're in the area, but I can't top Tom's offer

Ron
Old 26-06-21, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Hi Craig. Mine's a Canadian MK2* in Bournemouth. Also ex motor mechanic, from the days when you could flick the points! I've had a long friendship with the Winchester area......You're not on the Romsey road by any chance?

You're welcome to visit if you're in the area, but I can't top Tom's offer

Ron
Hi Ron. Well this is amazing! Yes, I'm just off the Romsey road in a small industrial site in Ampfield. What a community this is already turning out to be. I'll send an inbox message your way. Kind regards.
Craig
Old 26-06-21, 16:34
Terry Warner

Welcome! Glad you've found time to wedge an army career in between civilian work obligations. And pleased as well that the MLU community has members close enough to visit and help.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 26-06-21, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Welcome! Glad you've found time to wedge an army career in between civilian work obligations. And pleased as well that the MLU community has members close enough to visit and help.
Hi Terry. Thanks very much. Yes it's already a most welcome surprise knowing there's more people in this part of the world all willing to share their knowledge & experience. It's always great to know there'll be plenty of folk ready to help when the questions start flowing. I'm already very pleased to be here on the forum.
Old 27-06-21, 09:19
MLU Administrator

Welcome Craig!

I see that you are already finding your way around the MLU community
Old 27-06-21, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Welcome Craig!

I see that you are already finding your way around the MLU community
Thank you Hanno. Pleasure to be here. It already feels most welcoming. The only thing I've discovered so far is a difficulty navigating the site whilst using my mobile phone! Definitely better suited with my laptop. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be! Apart from that it's Great to be here. Many thanks.
Old 27-06-21, 13:05

Hi Craig,
The south coast is practically awash with Carriers. I am in Camberley, Surrey and have a Canadian Mk2* though it is kept near J6 of the M25 in barn with other ww2 vehicles. Welcome to the community.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 27-06-21, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
Ladies & Gents. Hello to you all. I've been steered towards you here by some legendary individuals in the Carrier Community. I live in Hampshire on the South Coast of England. I'm a vehicle mechanic by trade & I've owned a small independent garage for the last 26 years.
I also served 18yrs in the British Army Reserves (Class1 Vehicle Mechanic & Class1 Armourer)
My long-term goal has been ownership/restoration of a Carrier. My Grandfather worked on them as a mechanic during the War from Normandy through to Germany. I look forward to contributing on the forum & getting to know many of you in due course.
Regards to you all.
Craig W
(aka Chalkster)
Craig

You've landed in the right place for sure.

Lots of knowledgeable people here for Carriers especially and also loads of other great stuff.

I dont have a carrier, so no point asking me anything about them (I do have a Sherman Firefly in a pile of rusty parts though).

Tim
Old 27-06-21, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gurr View Post
Hi Craig,
The south coast is practically awash with Carriers. I am in Camberley, Surrey and have a Canadian Mk2* though it is kept near J6 of the M25 in barn with other ww2 vehicles. Welcome to the community.
Thanks very much Mike. Hopefully one day soon we'll meet up. You're Certainly not too far away. Kind regards to you.
Old 27-06-21, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
Craig

You've landed in the right place for sure.

Lots of knowledgeable people here for Carriers especially and also loads of other great stuff.

I dont have a carrier, so no point asking me anything about them (I do have a Sherman Firefly in a pile of rusty parts though).

Tim
Tim. Pleased to hear from you. A Firefly no less? Fantastic. And I thought a carrier project was going to be involved! I tip my hat to you my friend.
Old 28-06-21, 08:32
Richard Harrison

Welcome to the family Craig. As you know I am a lot further north than the main cluster of carrier owners. Great little machines carriers

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 28-06-21, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
Tim. Pleased to hear from you. A Firefly no less? Fantastic. And I thought a carrier project was going to be involved! I tip my hat to you my friend.
35 ish tonnes of rust so far! A long way to go.

A carrier would have been a more sensible choice!

Cheers

Tim
Old 29-06-21, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
Welcome to the family Craig. As you know I am a lot further north than the main cluster of carrier owners. Great little machines carriers
Great to hear from you Richard. Look forward to hearing what everyone gets up to & their own particular project builds (ongoing/completed)
Craig
Old 29-06-21, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
35 ish tonnes of rust so far! A long way to go.

A carrier would have been a more sensible choice!

Cheers

Tim
Outstanding! That's 35t of majestic rust you have there. Hopefully one day I'll be able to see it close up? Huge admiration for taking on such an epic challenge. I tip my hat.
Craig