MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 19-02-04, 04:57
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Default Advise me... the (blitz) time has come!

Hi all,

Well after much convincing on all of your parts, and through my own curiosity (and dare i say stupidity?), i have tracked down my self a few blitzes (CMP's to everyone else).

I looked at them today in a yard not far from home. What i found was 4 trucks (3 4x4 fords- 2 cranes- 1 non original i think, other original, couldnt see if the body was original on the other, and 1 4x2 chev- non original body) in various states, and a few parts vehicles- chassis and cabs.

The one i was most interested in is what i think is a late war ford 4x4- has ford embossed in the headlight surrounds. The reason i was most interested in it was because of what is on the back- the original crane and platform body- still with D^D data plate- 1945.

Good points? The engine covers there- including engine beneath it , orig bumper and the little springy thing that mounts off it, remains of one canvas door, gauges, info plates- i dont know where to look for the data plates, what i think is the spare wheel carrier on the right hand side under the tray, remains of the original tray, mudguards- in ex cond- front and back, pioneer tool rack?, both fuel tanks- not rusted out on the bottom, and the complete crane.

Bad points- roof hatch is BADLY rusted, window sills are rusted- both on the window innners and outers- top and bottom, one door is missing, guages are rusted (though they are there), tray is severly rotted out and needs replacing/re- wooding, and generally i think there will be alot of pin hole and annoying rust in the cab to fix up.

Please advise me as to what you think this vehicle is worth. The old bloke wants $5000. this is way too much for me! I think he`ll bargain, but i`m not sure. They all appear to be have been there for a while- one had a 1965 rego sticker still on display.

Anyway, let me know what you think- personally its too much for me at the moment, and i think for a while to come, but i thought i`d ask your opinions on it anyway. I`ll see if i can get some photo's for you all to look at also.

Thankyou,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 19-02-04, 09:16
RIP

Default Blitz Time

Hi Ian
For $5000 I would want a fully restored Blitz. If you are serious I'll try and track something down. Between us here in Oz we'll get you organised. Max, Tony, Graeme, Keefy. Common guys lets get Ian on board.
Salesman Bob
Old 19-02-04, 10:21

Default Yes and no

You are right to go for the most complete, most original, most interesting sort of thing, but however much work you think there is, there will be 2 or 3 times that.

Assuming they aren't a million miles from you, go back every few months and tell 'the old guy' you are still saving for the crane truck. Meantime ask around here for parts, expertise, and help.

One of these days he'll take pity on you and take the couple of thousand you can afford (tell ME about truck-induced poverty - hah) between now and then do all your homework. How to get it home, where to put it under cover (unless your local weather is great...) where to get spares for it.

Gordon
Old 19-02-04, 14:48
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Advise me... the (blitz) time has come!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Fawbert
The one i was most interested in is what i think is a late war ford 4x4- has ford embossed in the headlight surrounds. The reason i was most interested in it was because of what is on the back- the original crane and platform body- still with D^D data plate- 1945.
Ian,

Glad to hear you are ready to change up from Jeeps to Blitzes

Of course a Ford is the one to go for (ignore the people who say I'm prejudiced ), and of course one should always get the most complete example you can find. It sounds like you have only recently seriously started to look into buying a Blitz - if so, in that case don't jump at the first opportunity as a better one will come along as you learn more and more about Blitzes.
You mention the "original crane and body": I'd like to see a picture to establish if indeed the wartime crane was fitted on the Blitz during the war, as it could as well have been cobbled together from surplus parts well after the war.

Hanno
Old 20-02-04, 01:31
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi guys!

Thanks for your advice. First of all, i`m thinking of a truck- not yet 100% serious. I still need to finish the jeep off for Back to the Track, and since i only found these trucks a few weeks ago i thought i`d go look at them just out of curiosity. I had thought roughly how much time and money i would need to get each truck going, and i still came back to this ford- but not now at that price!

Bob- thats exactly what i was thinking- for that kind of money, i can get a nice example, restored, ready to go! $5000 is why its still there i`d say! I`ll keep looking around for a truck- i wouldnt say its at the top of my list at the moment, but its getting there!

Gordon- thats a good idea, i`ll see how i go with the bloke- and indeed i should be able to save more money as i go along- well its a good plan in theory!

Hanno, i was going to go back and see if he`ll let me take some pictures of it anyway- i was quite taken with the truck and crane, and especially because of the plate on the crane.

Cheers all, and you can guarantee i`ll ask more questions like this as i go along!

Thanks again,
Ian.

1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
www.vintageengines.net
Old 20-02-04, 03:36
Likes Wusty Old Twuks

Default Chev Truck

Dont forget about the C60 L I wrote to you about it is the most complete vehicle I have spotted and I reckon you would get it half the price of the Ford.
Old 20-02-04, 04:19
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default I like the way you're thinking, Ian!

FORD, FORD, FORD!

Well, all the above comments have merit. $5000 would have bought 20 trucks from the Ken Hughes collection, but what condition? I too, waited long for the right truck to buy. Blitzes are everywhere once you start to look, but how much work and/or scrounging do they need to get them on the road again. This truck you're looking at sounds VERY nice with an original body, other parts like doors, hatches, etc can be found but finding a good cab and a body for the rear is what the money's for! That crane body is quite rare and that's why he wants $5000. While this truck's nice, why not look at something less complete, say just a good cab with a civvy or fire brigade tray until you get the hang of working on a Blitz. Something like that should cost between $500 and $1500, well within a student's budget.
Don't forget, if you do go back to the guy every couple of months, ride a pushbike and try to look as poor as possible, and take along a lot of Uni books to get the maximum pity effect.
Another point to remember is that Blitzes are much bigger and heavier to work on than Jeeps. It is possible to do most dismantling/moving/reassembling of Jeep stuff by yourself with a moderate sized toolkit. Blitzes require two (or more) people and heavier or taller jacks, stands, lifting gear, etc. You will also have to get some larger sockets and a big rattle gun to turn them. If you have'nt driven large trucks much before, it might wise to look for a F15A rather than a big F60L (although you can then put your Jeep in the back of your F60L ), this applies to licences, too. You'll need a MR licence to drive a F60L, but should be OK with a C licence in a F15A.
Sounds like all scary news, does'nt it? The good news is that there are plenty of people who would be very willing to give you help along the way, and used parts are often very cheap to acquire compared to Jeep stuff. There are plenty of outlets for Ford V8 engine parts (or Chev, if you're that way inclined) compared to the scant few Jeep suppliers, with many items being produced new.
Old 20-02-04, 15:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Of course, there's always.....

... this to put on your Blitz when you finally get it. (Picture from an item currently on e-bay).
Attached Images

Old 08-08-06, 10:12
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Default I got me a Truck! F15A! Yay!

Well, you read it right. After waiting, looking, trying to learn, asking Tony Smith for advice, looking, waiting, asking Tony again, waiting etc etc... after 3 or so years of this, i finally bought myself a Blitz!

Last weekend (ok, 4 days agao!) i took a trip up the highway to look at a F15A. From what i could tell, she isnt in too bad condition. Pretty complete and whats missing off the truck as she sits will mostly all come with her when i pick it up. (bumper, guard, fuel tank etc). The grill is in the cab.

Rust wise, the tray needs some work in sections but the cab is good- windscreen frame has rusted out but a spare, in good nick comes with the purchase). I shecked where else i thought they would rust out, but it seemed good.

No dataplates i could see (well the ones one the engine cover are for a F60S ). Hasnt been started, but the engine does turn over, gears shift and no damage to the chassis i could see.

But either way i`m happy!

The truck is Ex Temora, and somewhere else before that i`d say. The guy i got here from bought it out of the Ken Hughes collection and he has now realised he doesnt have the time to finish everything he's got!

Please advise me... on what i have got myself into! (she's bigger then my lil jeep hey!)

(if you cant see the pics, go here http://www.aussiejeepimages.com/gall...rd+F15A+Blitz/ )

Ian.

1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
www.vintageengines.net
Old 08-08-06, 13:50

I thought you may like a picture of your new buy still in position in a line of CMP's at Ken Hughes that I took in 2000. Yours is the first in line on the left hand side.

If I remember rightly this truck originally had a hand winch boom set up on it.

Cheers
Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
cmp lineup 3 copy.jpg  
Old 08-08-06, 16:01
MLU Administrator

Ian, congrats on the Blitz...and a Ford to boot!
Looks like the right stuff to start with.

H.
Old 09-08-06, 04:43
M38A1 CDN3

Ian...nice catch! Will really look good on the end of a tow rope as a Chev pulls you to start! (Notwithstanding vapour locks).

Now start to ransom off your first born in order to support the expense of maintaining/restoring this beast.

Welcome to the CMP (Blitz) owners ranks.

Keith Webb...can you add Ian's acquisition the the Old CMP's data site?

...and how about it, Keith, changing the ownership of mine?

Regards, all.

Old 09-08-06, 12:37
Pops

Default Nice choice

Good to see you got a ford Ian.

Jon would you realy like to own a ford downunder, we can sure do a deal for you.

Max
Old 15-08-06, 13:07

Hi Ian, Hows your back, Its vary heavy work compared to a jeep.
I'm at the stage with mine I feel like I'm :dh:
When I wish I was
When It's all over I will be :
I hope it all goes well
Jeff
Old 15-08-06, 20:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Gordon
Hi Ian, Hows your back, Its vary heavy work compared to a jeep.
...Yes, but how much more beautiful and rewarding than a Jeep is the end result!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern