MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-12-03, 22:57

Default Dodge T-110 L-5 in Russian service

Dodge T-110 L-5 3-ton 4x2 in Russian service

More info at http://www.o5m6.de/dodge_t110l5.html [»Trucks lend-leased to Russia in WW2«].

Happy holidays to all of you!
Oliver.
Old 23-12-03, 23:12
MLU Administrator

Default CKD

Oliver,

Great drawings, again. Keep up the good work!

One remark: CKD does not stand for »cased knocked-down«, but for Completely Knocked Down. CKD should not be confused with trucks being encased, after first being 'knocked down' as much as considered practical.
CKD was restricted to destinations where the manufacturers had proper assembly plants. CKD entailed the supply of parts which could not - or not economically - be produced locally, supplemented by parts which could.
Besides packing methods for trucks that had to be reassembled on arrival, the CKD-pack method was also used but this entailed parts and components which had not been assembled before and then dismantled for shipment. They comprised the necessary numbers of subassemblies and parts for a given quantity of chassis which would be assembled in much the same way as it was done in the Canadian factory.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 25-12-03, 20:33
former Resident Historian

Default SKD, MKD...

Other abbreviations were:
SKD = SEMI KNOCKED DOWN
MKD = MOSTLY KNOCKED DOWN
SUP = SINGLE UNIT PACK
TUP = TWIN UNIT PACK

SUP became a general description for complete export vehicles after the war. The first reference to MKD I have come across was in 1927 when the then Prince of Wales, later Edward V111 and Duke of Windsor, visited Vauxhall's Luton works. The first reference to TUPs I came across was in 1941 when a truck assembly operation was set up in Rangoon, Burma by General Motors Overseas Operations. I stand to be corrected but I have always thought that SKD packs were those that followed the initial CKD deliveries that were abandoned because it was found in 1940 that shipping crates of parts seperately was a nightmare when they arrived independently at the assembly plants. I have the official info on this from the Canadian Archives. That said it is clear that there were indeed later CKD deliveries to SA, NZ, Australia, India, which fits in with what Hanno just said. These countries had local glass, timber, metal facilities. Tyres as well?
Old 28-12-03, 13:30

Default Knock down Dodge's.

Hi David
Some time ago when we had a thread going about Dodge D-15's you posted some wartime pics of D-15's as chassis-cabs at Goole? I was just wondering what form these came in? also I wasn't able to fine the pics on the forum,any chance of posting them again or emailing some scans to me?
Many thanks!
Matt.
Old 28-12-03, 17:46

Default Already in forum!

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=1237
Old 28-12-03, 17:49

Default D15 or D60?

Matt, I still cannot decide whether the trucks are 15-cwt or 3-tonners. They look to me to be the heavier 3-tonners to me.

I have just written an article on the assembly operation at Goole for HERITAGE COMMERCIALS magazine, and I hope all of the nine photos that I borrowed from Lep will be reproduced including ones not shown on the forum. In addition they should be in one of the forthcoming books as well.