MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-05-06, 16:45

Default For Big Mike

As a QOR member who retired a Captain, served 22 years and has operated their Museum in Casa Loma for 16 I accept your apology and will move on. Get back up in that locomotive!
Old 12-05-06, 17:08
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Seems you need sum movies made of your Canadin Miltary on D-Day, Books don't cut it. All I heard of the Brits and Canadians is that they had a field day on Juno and Sword, That's coming from my Great Uncle as he was in the Guards Armoured DIV (Coldstreamers) witch landed in Normandy and Storys from old RNF lad's(50th Div) who live hear in the States
Just a couple of points Mike;

- on the front of the Second British Army, there were three beaches: Gold (Brit 50th Inf Div) - Juno (Cdn 3rd Inf Div) - Sword (Brit 3rd Inf Div) on 6 Jun 44

- the Guards Armd Div didn't land in Normandy until 28 Jun 44

- there were no Battalions of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers in the 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division

- there was however the 7th RNF who were the Divisional Machine Gun Battalion of the 59th (Staffordshire) Infantry Division, which didn't arrive in Normandy until 27 Jun 44 and the 1st Independent Machine Gun Company (RNF) of the Guards Armd Div, again, who didn't arrive in Normandy until 28 Jun 44

- so I find it rather odd that someone who served in these formations/units could tell you what it was like on Gold, Juno or Sword the morning of 6 Jun 44.

Cheers
Old 12-05-06, 17:53
BIG MIKE

Kinda Odd Ill take the word Of my GreaT Uncle who was thier Over what After action reports.And I did say Landed in Normandy if you read it He never told me when he landed on, Or Drove on the beach. As far as the RNF yes they Probally landed a few weeks later But they still landed on the Normandy Beach head Just like I said, So I guess what would be the atmosphier on the Normandy Beach head 2 1/2 weeks later?

Cheers

BIG MIKE