MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-08-07, 02:11

Default British war service records/Wingate's raiders

I was talking with an old friend and co-worker today at work about WW11 and what our fathers did in that war. I told him that he could find out alot on the internet.
He asked me to help him to find out more about his father in WW11.So here I am asking some questions.
His father was British Army. Joined 1939 ,Servered in North Africa , far east and then with Wingate's Raiders.
He has his fathers pay book,[has to find it though].His father died in the '70's. I suggested appling to get his records from the UK gov. So I need a site to go to in the UK to get a application form.
Also ,does anyone on this forum know of any of the Wingate's sites that give alot of photos.Also,at this point ,I only know the last name and that is: Hopson.
Thanks for any help and info.

Wayne
Old 18-08-07, 02:34
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Here's what he needs...

To start:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Follow the Military History >> more military history links; there's a ton of stuff about everything on this National Archives site, though. Keep you busy for days!

To continue, subject an officer or OR:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

Service Records. He's on his own here, because I haven't read through all this, but this gives him the conditions, restrictions and links for contact information etc.

Tell him good luck and have fun! And I, at least, would like to see what comes out of this, if he doesn't mind...

Old 19-08-07, 02:07

Thank you Geoff for the info.There is a lot to go through on the sites.
I will forward the sites,that you posted, to my friend and hope he finds what he wants.
You guys always come through.

Wayne
Old 19-08-07, 09:43
Paul

Default Service Records

Further to Geoff's comments, your friend should be able to find the information to access his father's records here:-

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...records.html#3

These two sections of the page are probably the most relevant.

Records of Deceased personnel
Enquirers must provide the consent of the Next of Kin and unless the person died in Service, proof of death. A charge may be made for enquiries. Prior to 1972 all Royal Navy personnel were given their service record when they were discharged. For pension purposes the Royal Navy retained pay details. Therefore the only data held on Royal Navy personnel who served prior to 1972 is their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

Certificate of Kinship
Information from the personal record of a deceased Ex-serviceman/woman can be released only with the consent of the official Next of Kin. The form aims to identify whose consent is required and the data you provide will be used only in connection with your enquiry. The form is retained for 2 years should you have subsequent queries. To download the Certificate of Kinship form for the Army, please click here.
For the Royal Navy, please click here
Old 19-08-07, 09:57
Paul

Default Re: Service Records

With reference to my last posting, the following could also be useful to your friend:-

http://www.chindit.net/

http://www.chindits.info/Photos/Index.html

Paul.
Old 22-08-07, 02:29

Thanks Paul
I went on the sites you posted. Lots of info.
My friend is on a job out of town and I am afraid I will be doing most of his research for him.No problem though.We have been friends for 30+ years.
The only info we have to go on is his fathers pay book, which has not been located yet!!!It sure would help! Full name,rank,serial number.
I believe IMOP he was in the second Burma expedition as I did not find his name on the first expedition,through sites I went on, I could be in error though.
Anyhow , if there are any of Chindits out there reading this that remember a comrade named Hopson please contact me.
I you :

Wayne
Old 22-08-07, 02:37

Thanks Paul
I went on the sites you posted. Lots of info.
My friend is on a job out of town and I am afraid I will be doing most of his research for him.No problem though.We have been friends for 30+ years.
The only info we have to go on is his fathers pay book, which has not been located yet!!!It sure would help! Full name,rank,serial number.
I believe IMOP he was in the second Burma expedition as I did not find his name on the first expedition,through sites I went on, I could be in error though.
Anyhow , if there are any of Chindits out there reading this that remember a comrade named Hopson please contact me.
I you :

Wayne