MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-01-05, 13:14

Default Generator

Can any one comment further on the photograph of the attached Generator.

The various data plates state Alco Light Weight Generator 110v 1KW (on Dynamo), Lyon Norman Engine number TE9424, and the Filter is a Vokes Tubular Air Filter Model D. 7226.

One electric meter is dated 44 and the other 54.

I am assuming it to be war-time but for what use I do not know i.e. Battery Charging or Lighting. The Air Filter is I assume to be the type fitted to to war-time motor cycles and much in demand by collectors. I have been offered as much for the filter as the generator cost, but I would never split
Attached Thumbnails
gen 3.jpg  
Old 04-01-05, 20:50

Hi Neil,

Alco is the Arthur Lyon Company, makers of generators and charging sets. It is wartime equipment, I have a smaller Alco set which has an overhead valve engine with their name on, but on dismantling I found it to actually be a J.A.P. engine, that one is an ex-Air Ministry charging set.

Going back to yours, it is very similar to the 1260 watt charging set, powered by a number of engines, J.A.P., Petter (I have one of those as well), Douglas, etc. The frame and dynamo look the same, but yours has the meters on the unit, where as the charging sets have a separate control cabinet as they charged banks of batteries. So, it looks like yours is a generator, what sort of output socket does it have?

The air filter is the same model as used on the BSA M20 and other motorcycles, it was also fitted to the Petter PU8 power unit, used for propelling pontoon bridges.

The Norman engine is not terribly common, but can occasionally be found at stationary engine displays at vintage rallies, incidentally, this is not the same Norman as the motor cycle maker of the same name.

Back in the 70's, I worked on a lot of this sort of equipment while working for REME, a good deal of it WW2 vintage and still a good back up of spares at that time.

Richard
Old 05-01-05, 09:19

Richard

There are two gauges on this generator, both located in the box on the left hand side of the generator. From memory one amps and one volts. There is also a switch, a fuse, and a knob which presumably varies the voltage or amps.

The original socket consists of a two pin plug with screw cover. At a later date some one has added an additional socket for a conventional round three pin plug.

I assume this unit was probably a lighting set or for powering 110v hand tools.

I would have prefered a Douglas powered unit as I originaly come from Kingswood where the factory was located.
Old 29-01-07, 19:23

I have finally managed to track down a manual for my generator interestingly dated Febuary 1954.

The picture also shows the post-war pattern of air cleaner so this model must have been manufactured and used over a long period. The manual does confirm that it is a Lighting Set for use presumably in the field.
Attached Thumbnails
generator 1.jpg  
Old 29-01-07, 19:24

And again.
Attached Thumbnails
generator 2.jpg