MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 15-03-14, 12:39

Default late model v8 into a carrier

HI ALL,
Im trying to instal a late v8 engine into my carrier. the engine I got has a different housing, so I had to use an adapter. but, when I tryed to assemble
the adapter to the engine' it looks like some thing is wrong, it looks like the adapter is too short, beacase when I tighten the bolts of the adapter to the engine housing, the adaper touches the pressure plate.
does any one here has any ida whats wrong here??
attached are some pic of the adapter, and the engine.
thank you all
arie
Attached Images

Old 15-03-14, 13:07
Bluebell

Arie, Which flywheel have you used? I think you need the late flywheel, not the early one. I dont know for sure. Is the depth from the flywheel face to the gearbox mounting face, the same as in the earlier motor.
(I assume the adapter is a std. adapter for the late motor without the integral bell housing)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 15-03-14, 15:07

HI,
the flywheel is the one that the engine came with. so I guss this a late one too. is there a difference between a flywheel of an old engine to the later one ??
thanks arie
Old 26-03-14, 10:32

Default Bell housing problems.

HI ARIE. i haVE BEEN INVOLVED WITH FORDS HERE IN AUS. FOR MANY YEARS. the later engines used the same flywheel (i think) but used a different ringgear. ford trucks 1949 to 1952 used a carst iron adaptor housing to maTCH THE CRASH GEARBOX. 49 to 51 cars used a pressed adapter housing that covered the pressure plate. these bent in service. 1953 / 54 trucks used a full cast housind likr the one in the photo above.
i thing the housing you have may only be suitable for the smaller clutch and pressure plate ( it may have been made for the hotrod types to fit the later 8BA engine to the ford 3 speed car type box).
also check the meshing of your starter ring gear to flywheel .
the part number of the housing is 8RT 6392.
good luck.

Ford GPW- script
#3A Ford Trailer
M3A1 White Scout Car
-Under restoration-
1941 Ford Truck (Tex Morton)
F15A Blitz
Radio sets- #19, #122, #62, ART13, and Command
Old 26-03-14, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 4172 View Post
ford trucks 1949 to 1952 used a carst iron adaptor housing to maTCH THE CRASH GEARBOX.
This is the original part, and I've been told these are extremely rare as they were in demand by early rodders fitting the 4 speed truck gearbox. It surprised me to hear they'd use a crash box but I guess there was nothing else available back then. Anyway if it's true it would explain the aftermarket adaptor you have Arie, and it's likely the rodders retained their existing car clutch and pressure plate, so the adaptor was only designed for the smaller clutch as John says.

That would leave you two options:

1. Fit the smaller car clutch and pressure plate.

2. Find an original cast iron adaptor. If these made their way onto the hod rod market you may be able to track one down in the US. Obviously they'd no longer be in demand!

Personally I'd make every effort to find an original one, because I'm not sure the pressed steel will handle the torque you'll be putting through it in a carrier. As John says they were prone to bending even in cars, and you really don't want any flexing between the motor and gearbox.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TONY7859 - Copy.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	64531
Old 26-03-14, 15:21
carrier mech

They are not ocerly rare in this neck of the woods, and if you watch ebay for a few weeks you don't even have to leave your home to find one. Search for 8BA bellhousing and there are two parts you need to buy. You will need the bellhousing and you will need the lower plate that goes between the bellhousing and the oil pan. Here is a photo of each which I have taken off ebay of recent items sold. The items will usually run from $40 to $100.

Not sure about the carrier variant you are working on but I had to remove some of the lower portion of this bellhousing to get it to fit in a North American carrier. I also had to modify the oil pan. Some other merely cut the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
8babellhousing.JPG   8baplate.JPG  
Old 26-03-14, 17:10

Default adapter

yep yep yeo....
I just found out yesterdy. it works pefctly with the irin cast adapter. I did not know that before and bought the other one. I will have to fpond the iron cast adapter. thanks you all
arie