MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 12-06-08, 09:00

Default UC Mk-I* acquired by Seaforth Museum

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/Resize%20of%20P6020053.JPG

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Regimental Museum has just obtained by donation a Universal Carrier Mk. I* for restoration to running condition. The armour had all be removed (as usual) and the engine house panels and most of the bins, seats, brackets etc. The front skirts are there and the instrument panel and engine appear to be complete. She is tired looking but the original markings are partly visible. The 5 in a yellow outline circle Bridge Sign is on the right front fender. The remains of the unit sign [10?] is on the left front fender and on the rear. Surprisingly the data plate is still there! This UC was used on a small island off Schwartz Bay near Victoria, B.C. and was donated in 2008.

MODEL UC MK-I*
SERIAL 13877 HULL 12874
ENGINE TL-13873-F
CD-213 BUILT FEB.43

DND Number - Unknown. Lost when armour was removed. We have asked if any parts survive that we can use in the restoration and I naturally want to find the DND number as there is a good chance that this UC was used by the 2nd Bn SHC in WWII as I have photos of them training in them apparently on Vancouver Island c. 1944.

WD Number - I want to remove the top of the instrument panel and am hoping the WD number under it on the top edge of the armour there, though as I recall, the numer is a little further over towards the passenger so it was likely cut away. I hope we can find that piece and the number.

It will be restored to represent a 1st Bn Seaforth UC in Sicily-Italy-Holland in 1943-45.
Unit sign: 61 on green.
Formation sign: 1st Canadian Infantry Division.

Web page about this carrier ...
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/uc_mk_i.htm

Colin Stevens,CD
Curator
Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Regimental Museum

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 13-06-08, 02:14

Great find and best of luck with the restoration.

Sadly the part on the front armour with the stampings is all gone going by the photos. It was located directly in front of the steering wheel.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 13-06-08, 03:58

Sad about the WD number portion being cut away - all the more reason to look for the removed metal. At least we know who the first owner was (Father-in-law of the donor) and where it was (on the island as a fire fighting vehicle for the landowners) since 1945.

Some interesting vehicles turning up. On Goudge Island near the island where this UC turned up was found a Willys MB-BRT (British contract 1942 jeep). I owned it for awile and now it is being restored by Vince Hands in Maple Ridge, BC. This one appeared to have been a General's jeep as it had the hole in the bonnet for the flag staff. Only partial USA reginstration and WD numbers were found.

Richmond, BC
Old 14-06-08, 13:28
Derek Heuring

Default Island Jeeps in B.C.

Quote:
This UC was used on a small island off Schwartz Bay near Victoria, B.C. and was donated in 2008.

Colin Stevens,CD
That's an interesting story about military vehicles being used on a small island for fire fighting and whatever else and not unknown in the archipeligo off the coast of B.C. When I was younger my friends and I dove extensively throughout the San Juans, the Gulf Islands and Howe and Desolation Sounds. One day many years ago we beached our boat on a small privately owned island West of Bowen Island to take a lunch break and was surprised to see a WWII Jeep parked on the shore. We asked around and was told that sometime after the war a group of friends bought the island and transported several jeeps by landing craft for use in hauling supplies to the various houses they were building. I always wondered what happened to those Jeeps, well, your story prompted me to do a search on Google Earth this morning and voila, they're still there, parked down by the beach. You can see them at

49 22' 06.50" N. 123 27' 32.96" W.

My brother in North Vancouver owns a boat, I'm going to see if I can get him to take a run out there and get some pics. I'll post any he takes. Derek.
Old 14-06-08, 14:41
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Pool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
I always wondered what happened to those Jeeps, well, your story prompted me to do a search on Google Earth this morning and voila, they're still there, parked down by the beach. You can see them at

49 22' 06.50" N. 123 27' 32.96" W.

My brother in North Vancouver owns a boat, I'm going to see if I can get him to take a run out there and get some pics. I'll post any he takes. Derek.
Derek...
Interesting...
After giving the world the co-ordinates,how long to you guess it will take some scumbag to go get them...
Let's start a pool...
I'll give it two weeks from today..By June 28th they will be stolen..stripped at best....

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 14-06-08 at 14:46. Reason: Posted without content
Old 14-06-08, 15:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Alex

Methinks perhaps not... there are a number of houses in the immediate area. Some photos might be nice though, and who knows, mebbe they're for sale?

Anyway, check this out:
Attached Thumbnails
jeeps2.jpg  

Last edited by Geoff Winnington-Ball (RIP); 14-06-08 at 15:26.
Old 14-06-08, 16:54

Default Jeeps on Island

Good post Maybe one of the Western Command guys will want them.
good to see that every vehicle out there is not kept hushed up.
I have passed on several to our local gus to include half track,M4 and M5 gun tractors C.M.Ps Jeeps staff cars and dodges.
We cannot restore them all maybe someone else will.
My CCW came of Gabriola Island there was also several 2 1/2 ton studies over there.
Old 15-06-08, 00:44

G'day All, Thats an interesting part of the world, looks b****y cold though!, all the snow on the peaks around the area, when I googled the co-ordinates and looked at the bigger picture there are 2 water craft making there respective runs to the island now, maybe to "nick" the articles in question LOL . The tennis court stands out very well smack in the middle of the island?? maybe a community item, anyway thanks for sharing the info cheers Dennis
Old 15-06-08, 03:48

Derek, my brother lives on Bowen Island so if your brother can't go maybe I can get mine to.
Cheers,
barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 15-06-08, 14:31
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post

Derek...
Interesting...
After giving the world the co-ordinates,how long to you guess it will take some scumbag to go get them...
Let's start a pool...
I'll give it two weeks from today..By June 28th they will be stolen..stripped at best....
Alex, calling my friends from Western Command scumbags is perhaps a little too strong...scalliwags is perhaps a bit more fitting.

I'm thinking those people on Paisley Island will soon be cursing whoever posted the coordinates of those Jeeps on this forum as their little bit of Eden is overrun by MV collector's...scenes frpm "Second Hand Lions" comes to mind with Robert Duval and Michael Caine sitting in rockers with shotguns on their laps waiting for travelling salesmen.

A tip for anyone interested in acquiring one of these Jeeps: the people on the island are very wealthy so convenience will probably override any monetary issues so be prepared to replace any Jeep you buy with another vehicle. Can't have the wealthy hauling their crates of Pouilly-Fuisse to the cabin by hand now, can we?

There are any number of marine salvors in Vancouver and environs that will have the kit necessary to retrieve those Jeeps, or perhaps someone will raft them off the island. In any event, there should be some good stories generated by this post. Derek.
Old 15-06-08, 14:40
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Derek, my brother lives on Bowen Island so if your brother can't go maybe I can get mine to.
Cheers,
barry
I'm going to call Doug later today to see if he has the time and interest in running out there. It's about an hour's run from Horseshoe Bay and a little longer from Eagle Harbour which are the two closest ramps to put a boat in. Certainly, ask your brother if he can get some pics of the jeeps. If he has a boat, then he's a lot closer to Paisley Island. Your brother may even be able to see the Jeeps from a high vantage point at the Western end of Bowen Island. In the mean time, I'll keep everyone informed of my brother's efforts. Derek.
Old 15-06-08, 15:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
I'm going to call Doug later today to see if he has the time and interest in running out there. It's about an hour's run from Horseshoe Bay and a little longer from Eagle Harbour which are the two closest ramps to put a boat in. Certainly, ask your brother if he can get some pics of the jeeps. If he has a boat, then he's a lot closer to Paisley Island. Your brother may even be able to see the Jeeps from a high vantage point at the Western end of Bowen Island. In the mean time, I'll keep everyone informed of my brother's efforts. Derek.
Derek...
I'm sure your brother would be interested in "Running" out there to take pictures,as soon as someone ponies up the $6.13/gallon fuel charge...
Gone are the days when one jumps in the gas guzzler for a cruise around the town just for fun...
$1.35/litre X 4.54l/Imp.Gal = $6.13 Cnd./Imp.Gal

Old 15-06-08, 18:20
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Derek...
I'm sure your brother would be interested in "Running" out there to take pictures,as soon as someone ponies up the $6.13/gallon fuel charge...
Gone are the days when one jumps in the gas guzzler for a cruise around the town just for fun...
$1.35/litre X 4.54l/Imp.Gal = $6.13 Cnd./Imp.Gal

($3.88USD/US gal X 1.17 Imp gal/ US gal) / .9725 exchange rate = $4.67 Cnd./Imp.Gal here in Texas. I guess we're not so bad off here. Doug may want to wait until he's fishing in that area anyway before he takes a run out there. He doesn't have the "Green Disease" like most of us. Derek.
Old 09-02-09, 00:00

Default Canadian UC Mk. I* - Seaforth Museum

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives has acquired a 1943 Canadian Ford made Universal Carrier Mk. I.

The lower hull, engine and tracks are there and she rolls when towed.

Sadly the armour (including the bit with the WD number) was removed to make it into a fire-fighting vehicle on a local island.

We obained it by donation from the son-in-law of the original owner and we are trying to trace any parts that were removed - especially the parts with the DND number painted on and the WD number stamped in. I am hoping that the islanders are like the prairie farmers in that removed parts tend to remain "on the farm". Some of my favourite related find many years ago on farms in Saskatchewan were with a farmer who USED to have a CMP (PJ; Blitz) 15 Cwt and a UN Mk. I*. Both vehicles were long gone (except in photos) but he still had the rare 15 Cwt spare tire bracket and tool box, bows and UC desert stowage racks! The later went to Brian Asbury in trade years ago. The CMP parts went to good homes too.

Main things we will be looking for this year are replacement armour (I much prefer to use salvaged armour rather than fabricate replicas) and some road wheels with good rubber.

Priorities:

1. Reserach remaining markings
2. Get engine running
3. Get vehicle ruolling inder its own power.
4. Rebuild armour
5. Acquire missing bins, brackets etc.

Long-term goal is restored for use in parades etc. Incidentally, 2010 is our regiment's centennial year.

Colin Stevens, CD, Captain (Ret.)
Curator
Seaforth Highlanders of Canada Museum and Archives

Richmond, BC
Old 09-02-09, 00:01

Default Photo os Seaforth UC Mk. I*

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/museum.htm

Richmond, BC