MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 13-11-06, 12:59

Text removed as information no longer current

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 20-11-15 at 22:10.
Old 13-11-06, 14:22
Mr. HUP

Default NATO TAC SYMBOLS

Stewart:
All NATO vehicles followed a common symbol list. See:
http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...s_natomap.html

and if you have the time to do some data mining - the updated symbol list is buried somewhere in:
http://www.nato.int/

Zulu RHC
Old 14-11-06, 03:21
Mr. HUP

Default Close...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Fedak

So....... this Itlis was with 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, mechanized
artillary.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/9059/CanArmy.html

At this point things are a bit fuzzy to me........... it MAY be Royal
Canadian Regiment........

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/n...inf/883RCR.htm

Maybe not............ any suggestions..........

I need to do some more research......
Stuart,

2nd Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery (2RCHA) belongs to 2 Brigade out of Petawawa. 2RCHA is part of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery - The Royal Canadian Regiment is an infantry Regiment with three batallions and thus their tac symbol would have been an "X" as opposed to the "ball".The tac symbol is correct for 2RCHA although the mech symbol (O) seems a little large for the tac sign. Some gunner got creative perhaps...

2RCHA was the first unit to receive the iltis and deployed to Ex RV85 with the wee-beasties. An interesting note - we had a battery from the Royal Australian Artillery attached to 2RCHA for RV85. They drove back from Suffield Alberta (my present location) to Petawawa in an iltis convoy, taking in the beauty of the land.

So, your iltis in the photo may have been one of the first employed in the Canadian Army.
Old 29-11-06, 23:27
carrier mech

Lots more mods...I'll see if I can remember some of them.
There was a mod to replace theorigional heater hose T with one that didn't burst
There was a mod or an instruction to change some of the vacuum/ventilation system to prevent the buildup of vapours so the aircleaner would quit catching fire.
There was a mod/instruction to install a larger alternator if needed.
There was a mod to put shorter bolts on the floorplates over the batteries so they wouldn't short out.
There was a mod to install grease nipples for the trunnions.
There was a mod to install a second set of rubber guards around all the wheel stations.
There was a mod/instruction to remove a small bridge on the alternator which allowed current to bypass the master switch.
There was the capacitor mod (it prevented the voltage spike which burnt out the headlamps)
There was a battery cable mod to replace the factory ends with the standard military pattern, and lengthen the center one
There was the fuel filter mod which replaced the origional inline filter
There was a mod to relocate the stud on the air intake area. This stud held the strap for the clutch housing breather, which was catching fire leaning against the capacitor mod
There was a mod to make a little bracket which kept the master key in it's bracket so it would still turn but could not be removed.
There was an instruction telling you to throw out the blue explosafe balls out of the tank.
I believe it was a mod to install the mod data plate.
It was a mod or a special instruction to add the window screening to the air intake horn so the air cleaner wouldn't fill up with sticks and leaves
There was a special instruction to retorque the rear springs
As part of the life extension project there were the hinge replacements for the rear seats
Also part of the life extension was the installation of plastic battery trays under the batteries. (likely all thrown out later)
Also part of the life extension was to make the adjusting slot longer on the alt adj arm.

Regarding the suppressed wires, I believe this was simply a change of suppliers. They went to the more familiar M-series style wires instead of the thinner Iltis type.

The only mod I recall for the trailers was the welding of the little angle brackets allowing the ILtis jack to be used on them.

Unofficial mod: here in Manitoba/Sask, you ripped off those little defroster doors, cause you needed way more heat than they allowed out.

Thats about all the Iltis thinking I want to do right now. I hated those things.

Last edited by rob love; 30-11-06 at 16:20.
Old 29-11-06, 23:44

Default Test iltis

There is (or was) one of the original test Iltis's in the Borden Museum.
Old 30-11-06, 03:49
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Test iltis

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
There is (or was) one of the original test Iltis's in the Borden Museum.
Funny you should mention Borden and Iltis testing. I had the pleasure of sending one of my Bombardiers (name omitted to protect the guilty) to Borden to put the Iltis thru its paces.

The Bombardier was sent back after just two weeks with an interesting letter of "appreciation”. The trials officer was amazed at how well the Bombardier was able to find and exploit the weaknesses of the trial Iltis. Going on, the narrative read that he was being RTU because they had too many trial vehicles down for repairs. Oddly enough, his vehicle always broke down the furthest from the recovery truck and he had spent most of his time awaiting recovery. He concluded with a heart felt thank you for the Bombardier's help in isolating Iltis faults.

Strangely enough, when the Bombardier was my driver, my truck always seemed to break down at the most inconvenient time and place. But the Bombardier was always ready to catch some Zs awaiting recovery. Coincidence? Nope.

As a footnote, I finally got him posted to Shilo, where rumour had it he was sent to the museum as a mannequin...
Old 30-11-06, 16:15
carrier mech

Default Re: Re: Test iltis

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke

As a footnote, I finally got him posted to Shilo, where rumour had it he was sent to the museum as a mannequin...
In reality they cloned him and filled the entire regiment with the end product.

I remember watching one of the officers drivers trying to back up an Iltis with a trailer in the snow. The trailer would jacknife, so he would give it more gas. I learned not to bother installing new trailer arms as they would only last until the next ex.

Mind you, RCRs weren't any better. We installed a brand new bumper on a 5 ton, at which time all the 5 ton drivers wanted the same. But the first ex he went on, they attached the hook of a tow chain to the center of the bumper, despite both D rings being there. He comes in right after the ex wanting a new bumper.

Same driver was going through starters far too frequently. This was with the 5 ton diesels, in Wpg at -15. He would crank until either the truck started or the starter would de-solder itself.

I need anger therapy.
Old 01-12-06, 05:04
carrier mech

We were getting that comlaint from the RCRs back in 87. They owned up to the "whilst airborne" thing.
The one thing I have to respect on any of the SMP vehicles, is that they are driven to the limits of their endurance every time they go out to the field.

I remember going on a recovery call (I think it was 2VP that time) and of course, they were out by about a grid square. So up to the top of the nearest hill we go, and sure enough, there they are about a mile away. The doofus's were driving along a perfectly serviceable trail, when, for no reason that could be obvious, they decided to run over the trees. One punched through their oil filter housing and dented up through to the torque converter. We pulled the truck out of the brush, and took off the torque converter cover, and straightened it. At that point they expected us to go underneath and change their oil filter. Fat Chance. Poor guys had to actually get dirty and crawl underneath the truck.

I must admit, I used to get pleasure having them pull the suppressed spark plug wires one at a time (on a V8) while I checked the exhaust to find which cylinder was missing. Seemed like the tougher they were, the harder they would hold on. If I knew how to make those little smiley Icons here, I would now, cause I am smiling.
Old 01-12-06, 19:07
Mr. HUP

Default Coincidence???

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
I remember going on a recovery call (I think it was 2VP that time) and of course, they were out by about a grid square. So up to the top of the nearest hill we go, and sure enough, there they are about a mile away.
Honest navigation mistake...I think not. The boys were probably having a little fun at your expense...not an uncommon event.

On a related note, while on exercise in Gagetown, I recall receiving a recovery request on the battery net from our BK. He had convinced his driver that the (then) new 5/4 ton truck could negotiate large mud puddles riddled with 2.5 and 5 ton truck wheel tracks. It couldn't and it didn't.

The recovery request was not pro forma and he neglected to provide a grid reference (map skills were somewhat questionable). I asked for his location (expecting a grid reference), and he responded "Reference gun position location on the map. From east end of gun position, go southeast, green spot with a trail running through it, over." The Command Post crew found this response quite amusing.

We finally got a four figure grid reference, and then asked for the reason for recovery. The BK wanted to know why we need to know this fact. Our sig, getting impatient asked " Are you stuck, over?" The response was "Negative. The mud is too deep, over."

It took 20 minutes for the sig and techs to stop their laughing and giggling...

The ammo truck driver sent to recover the vehicle wasn't too impressed.
Old 02-12-06, 03:27
carrier mech

Default Re: Coincidence???

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Honest navigation mistake...I think not. The boys were probably having a little fun at your expense...not an uncommon event.
Worst mistake I had them do to me was in Bosnia. I got a recovery call for a AVGP. The grid referance was down in a valley, where the guys routinely did there patrol. I had not been there before. I took an HLVW flatrack truck (no rack, so it made for a nice short tractor with a winch to boot) and the 30,000 lb beaver tail trailer.

To get in to the valley, I had to go down the tightest mountain trail I had ever gone on. There were soviet bloc equipment blown up over the edges of the trail, and to get around the switchbacks, at one point I had to disconnect the trailer to get a tight enough jacknife to make it around. The outer two wheels were actually over the edge of the cliff going around it.
There were lots of minefields marked, and as we got in to the valley, you could see the various trench placements, along with, of course, more minefields. I could see AVGP tracks on the ground, so I thought we were getting close.
Got to within 10 meters of where they were supposed to be, and of course, no-one there. Searched around a bit, and finally decided to leave, but by the long (and flat) way out of the valley. Just as we are reaching the end, up pulls the BKs Iltis. He gets out to explain that the M-Bdr made a mistake on his GPS coordinates, and that they were in fact up on the highway, about 3 miles from where we had first turned off. Apparently they had also called back to give sh*t to my 2i/c, and accused me of going to dinner while they were waiting at the side of the road. My 2i/c actually hung up on the Captain, because the Captain was so mad. That was about the time when they decided to look at the map, and realised they sent me to the wrong place.
Turns out that when you turn on the GPS, it reads the last place at which you took a reading, which was where they were the day before.

They were actually quite amazed that I made it down that mountain. Apparently they had to do 3 point turns with the AVGPs to make it through there.

Needless to say, I was not too impressed.

Did I ever tell you guys about how I used to make the combat arms guys hold the spark plug wires with the engine running while I looked for the engine miss?
Old 02-12-06, 03:39
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Coincidence???

Quote:
Originally posted by rob love
Did I ever tell you guys about how I used to make the combat arms guys hold the spark plug wires with the engine running while I looked for the engine miss?
Shocking! I'll bet they only did that once. Keep those stories coming (I can't say too many nasty things about the wrenchbenders - afterall, without them the ATIs would have been a regal bitch to pass...besides, Bill M may be in town in Jan, so I got to watch my Ps&Qs...).

RHC
Old 02-12-06, 08:29
carrier mech

Heres the shocking story. Around 87, the army changed the spark plug wire systems on the 5/4 ton. There were shortcomings to the new system, and if the sparkplug wire wasn't snapped on to the spark plug ( I used to use a little allen key to sneak into there) then the spark would take a shortcut through the insulater. Most of the guys would then rip out all the wires and insulaters and do it again. I figured out that by isolating the bad cylinder(s), I could just change the bad insulators and make sure the wire was snapped on to the plug. This would save about 3 hours of labour.
I would loosen off all the nuts from the shielding to the sparkplug housing, and with the truck running, would have the operator (after all, it was his truck) pull out the wires one at a time while I felt the exhaust to see if the miss would change or not. The driver would ask "O-O-O-K-KAY-AY" to which I would reply "OK. When he found the bad one, I would say "Do that one again". They would say "O-O-O-K-KAY-AY" again, and I would say OK. Then they would say "Is that it?". No, I would tell them, we have to check all 8 in case theres another one.

I remember working on the welder's 5/4 for the same problem. I hated to do it to him, since he was a nice guy, but as he said, "It's my truck".

This is getting off topic from the original Iltis thread. If there were a thread about mechanics stories, I would tell you about Herby and the air cooled Jeep.
Old 23-12-06, 02:10

Hi Stu..

That hole you speak of is for a remote plug-in as you guessed- except it's for the new(er) TICCS radios we currently use in the CF.

Gord
Old 23-12-06, 18:06
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by Gord Bennett
Hi Stu..

That hole you speak of is for a remote plug-in as you guessed- except it's for the new(er) TICCS radios we currently use in the CF.

Gord
Pickey, pickey, pickey...you mean TCCCS vice TICCS, don't you?
Old 27-12-06, 06:18

Sure thing.. whatever the new stuff is called.
We did a crash course on how to use this new equipment several years ago and it's way over my head compared to the older 524's and 77's that i'm used to. Maybe i'm stuck in the past and old habits die hard(?) Either way, maybe someone familiar with the equipment knows what the acronym means and can fill us all in for FYI's sake..

Anyhow, further to Stu's inquiry, many of the Iltis' were modded to fit the new equipment and the hole on the LH side for a remote is just one of them.
There was also a bracket added to the dash which straddled the centre defrost duct which held the digital keypad or sometimes just a headset hanger.
There were also special rivnuts added to the pax side dash onto which another headset hanger was usually bolted.
Some vehicles also had connectors mounted under the glove box for headsets to plug into.
Not related to comms equipment, there are sometimes a series of holes on the floor behind the gear shift where a GPS holder was mounted. These were a real pain to take out because the screws rusted in place, so some vehicles may still have had this installed when they were surplused.
You'll also find all sorts of wire bundle clamps glued all over the place. This was for the radio cables going from the radio in the back to the digital keypad on the dash, or to the headset connectors under the dash. Nice and tidy so the cables didn't get damaged by feet and kit.

Gord