MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 03-07-09, 23:31

Default inquiry on Iltis

Did a search of this site and did not come up with an answer so I thought that I would post this inquiry in this forum as it seemed the most applicable:

I recently purchased an Iltis jeep and wondered if there is any way of referencing the serial number to see if it had seen any tours of duty with the CF. It looks to have been painted white at some point in its history, hoped to put a little more history to the ole girl.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-07-09, 23:57
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsaskscotty View Post
Did a search of this site and did not come up with an answer so I thought that I would post this inquiry in this forum as it seemed the most applicable:

I recently purchased an Iltis jeep and wondered if there is any way of referencing the serial number to see if it had seen any tours of duty with the CF. It looks to have been painted white at some point in its history, hoped to put a little more history to the ole girl.

Thanks!
Scott
Post up the CFR and we'll have a peek. If it was painted white, it very likely saw some deployment time, probably in the Former Yugoslavia during the earlier years.

Scotty
Old 04-07-09, 00:14

sorry for my ignorance, but is the CFR the serial #?

cheers!
Scott
Old 04-07-09, 00:22
MUTT Guy

Quote:
sorry for my ignorance, but is the CFR the serial #?

cheers!
Scott
If I recall correctly, the Serial Number on the Iltis actually contains the CFR (Canadian Forces Registration Number) in the last 7 digits, so just post up the serial number from the Dash Plate. Its probably the one thing Bombardier did get right

While no guarentee the DND Database will show actual deployments, there may have been VMO (Vehicle Movement Orders) issued that will point to overseas service.

Scotty
Old 04-07-09, 01:13

Serial # is: BI01018586337

your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott
Old 04-07-09, 01:27
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Serial # is: BI01018586337

your help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott
Your CFR is 85-86337. 86337 is what would have been on Military Licence Plates while it was in service.

I'll dig around next time i'm at work.
Old 04-07-09, 01:43
carrier mech

Also very possible it may have been in Cypress. We replaced the Iltis in Cypress around 1990 (fatigue) and they were mostly sent back to base maint Shilo for refit (and as a make work project) and then VMOd to other bases.

Hopefully the DND database will shed light to it's history.
Old 04-07-09, 06:49

thanks Scotty! that would be great if you could check it out!

Rob thanks for your input too...Cyprus would be a great piece of Canadian Peacekeeping history too!

cheers!
scott
Old 17-07-09, 14:42
MUTT Guy

Some History on Iltis 85-86337

Purchased for $26363 by the Canadian Forces and entered Service at CFB Calgary on 9 Dec 85.
Transferred to 1 Field Ambulance on 10 Sept 87 until it was retired 11 May 2006. Although it was at 1 Fd Amb, the ECC is for a "Normal" Iltis and not a Front Line Ambulance.

During its life, it had 162 "Corrective Visits" to Maintenance totalling 723 hours of Labour and $23000 worth of Parts.

It 88491 kms on it at its last Maintenance Visit.

It sold for (cough/choke) $4900 at Auction

I tried to find something that would indicate some overseas service, such as a Maintenance Entry done overseas or a big spike of mileage (as usually happens as they tend to rack up more mileage on deployment). Sorry to say, I can't find anything. Not to say it didn't, its just there is nothing in writing that I can find.

Something else to consider, i've seen vehicles in the past painted for deployment, and then the deployment was cancelled. This could possibly be the case for yours.

Scotty
Old 17-07-09, 15:53
carrier mech

I have also seen Iltis painted in the white and with complete UN markings for public parades or display in Canada, especially just before or after a unit rotated through a tour.

Interesting to note the number of corrective visits, especially compared to some of the data shown on other threads for the old M series jeeps. However, the reasoning for that may be the improved record keeping (plan expert) along with the likelihood that guys are marking all tasks as corrective when estimating them onto that program.
Old 17-07-09, 15:59

Thanks for the info Scotty! Very much appreciated! I was hoping for some indication of seeing overseas service just for my own nostalgia, but hey it spent 21 years in the CF, and thats good enough for me.

Scotty, another question for you....not related to this at all but would there be any information on where a particular m113 ended up? All I would have is the plate number (one that a family member drove in Croatia). I would just be curious to see where it ended up, if this is classified info that is cool too.

Thanks Again!
Scott
Old 12-11-09, 01:45

Quote:

Thanks!
Scott
Hi Scott
What site do I visit to check vehicle history on an iltis.

John
Old 12-11-09, 21:48

John,

I don't believe that there is a website that you can check....one of the accomodating members here that works at DND was able to get me the above info on mine.

Cheers!
Scott
Old 14-11-09, 18:54

Hi Scott

Thanks . Is this the numbers they would need ? I just took them off the dash of the iltis

Nato#2320218953766

VIN BI01-04-85-86944

Thank you
John
Edit/Delete Message
Old 14-11-09, 20:33

Quote:
VIN BI01-04-85-86944
The last 5 digits are what your Iltis 'Canada' license plate would have on it. That is the vehicles Canadian Forces Registration number or CFR. The 85 preceding those digits is the year of manufacture. All I can give you for info right now is that the VMO message no. is different than the regular format. Could be to denote a scrapped vehicle or REL limit maybe - I'm not sure. It was sold 01 March 1993, so I'm thinking it was salvage. It has the most common ECC, 121501, so it was your regular Iltis as apposed to a cable layer, M.P. or ambulance, etc. The Iltis was in Gagetown at the end of it's service life, but that's it for info until the work week. Cheers for now,

Craig
Old 14-11-09, 21:23

Thank you for such a quick reply
John
Old 18-11-09, 14:49

jpeters -

Here is all the info I could get. Seems something has changed in regards to what info remains for vehicles on the data base with certain allocation codes. Unfortunately at this time any of the 1985 model year Iltis with a 'DN' for the Allocation code come back as an error when trying to get the service records, former unit's, etc. This info was available less than a week ago, as I quickly checked this CFR Friday 13th. May be a temporary glitch in the system? Anyway, here you go -

CFR No 86944
CFR Year 1985
Serial No BI01-04-85-86944
Actual ECC 121501 - (TRUCK UTILITY LT ILTIS 4X4 MIL DES CDN BASIC)
Authorized ECC 121518 - (TRUCK GPMG MTD LT ILTIS 4X4 MIL DESIGN CDN)
NSN - (Not listed. It is on your data plate however.)
ERN 30111 - (BOMBARDIER)
Holding Unit 0105 - (Canadian Forces Base/Area Support Unit Gagetown)
DA Unit 5010 - (The Prince Edward Island Regiment (RCAC))
Date Acquired 19-Feb-86
Cost 0 - (Not listed but I'm pretty confident saying it wasn't free)
Alloc Code DN - (MILITIA RESERVE FORCE HOLDING, HELD IN LIEU OF AUTHORIZED ECC)
Comm Suite
Current VMO F93-049 - 01-Mar-93 - (VMO Comes back as Invalid, so no other info here)
HN Date
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 23-Jun-97

Cheers,

Craig
Old 19-11-09, 01:08

Hi Craig

Thanks for the info. I thought it might of come from CFB Oromocto the fellow I bought it from had six or seven units for sale that he must of picked up at a salvage/ government auction in Fredericton. It only had 50k mileage on it, is this correct or would it have rolled over a couple times? Would they be used in the winter months?
John
Old 19-11-09, 02:57
carrier mech

50K mileage would likely be right, although the speedos were prone to breaking and not everyone would roll the new odometer to reflect the cumulative mileage.

Militia trucks tended to only go out on a few long trips per year, and this would vary by where the training area was in relation to the unit. I saw many M38A1Cdn2 sold with only 35,000 miles on them after 20 years service.
Old 19-11-09, 04:19

After installing a new speedo it's SOP to apply a add-on sticker with previeous mileage. I am sure many vehicles lost these over their service life
Old 10-01-10, 00:21
"Skunque-Breaker"

Scotty or Craig,
I just got the title to my rig in the mail. The Iltis itself is due the end of this week. Could one of you check out my CFR? B1101-11-84-86109 I'm curious about where she's been and what she's done.
Is there anyplace to buy replica CF license plates?
Tom A in Colo Spgs USA
Old 10-01-10, 17:23

Default DND plates

As for license plates you could make your own, although that is probably illegal. A friend works at CFB Kingston and said that the DND plates are not stamped and that the numbers are merely stickers applied to the plate. He has had trouble in the past with U.S. customs when entering the U.S. with his service truck from work when on business. The U.S. customs don't like the idea of DND plates on a vehicle that doesn't fit the appearance of a typical military vehicle.

Paul
Old 10-01-10, 18:10
"Skunque-Breaker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Singleton View Post
As for license plates you could make your own, although that is probably illegal. A friend works at CFB Kingston and said that the DND plates are not stamped and that the numbers are merely stickers applied to the plate. He has had trouble in the past with U.S. customs when entering the U.S. with his service truck from work when on business. The U.S. customs don't like the idea of DND plates on a vehicle that doesn't fit the appearance of a typical military vehicle.

Paul
Paul,
That, sir, makes things a lot easier. I found several places that print the CANADA and numbers on the plate instead of emboss.
The "CANADA" and edge striping should be black, right? I was sent a sample this morning done in red.
On either side of "CANADA" at the top, aren't there two 25x30mm flag stickers?

Edit: Here's #2 that Platemeister sent me:

Tom A in CS

Last edited by T. Alcorn; 10-01-10 at 18:55. Reason: Replica Plate Pic Added
Old 10-01-10, 18:23
MUTT Guy

Heres a site that gives some good images of CF Licence Plates:

Canadian Military Series Plates

WRT your CFR, i'm still a few days away from regaining access to the DIN, but if someone doesn't answer you before that, i'll dig it up.

Scotty
Old 10-01-10, 19:26
"Skunque-Breaker"

Scotty,
Now I know where Platemeister got the image, right from that site you posted.
The Maple Leaves on the top, are they embossed onto the plate or printed? Platemeister was going to print two maple leaves onto 3M reflective media, but, I think that would cause camouflage problems in the field. You guys deployed with these plates on the vehicles.
If he can print the maple leaves that should be good enough. I wouldn't expect them to make the embossing die unless there is sufficient demand for replica plates. Most of the vehicles were surplussed with the plates still on, right?
Should I start a separate post in the Restoration section about DND plates? Same plate design would be used for domestic M38s, M151s, Iltis, etc.
Canadian Forces in Europe have a different plate.

WTB: Iltis Cargo Area Floorboards, C9A1 Green Handguard, TICCS Dash Mount; C79 Green Rubber Armor; M72A5-7 LAW Tube; Arid CadPat Rank Slides/Helmet Covers/Pants, etc
Old 10-01-10, 21:06

Tom -
I'm on leave until the end of the month so the info you require would have to wait until then - sorry...
Old 10-01-10, 21:14
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Alcorn View Post
Scotty,
Now I know where Platemeister got the image, right from that site you posted.
The Maple Leaves on the top, are they embossed onto the plate or printed? Platemeister was going to print two maple leaves onto 3M reflective media, but, I think that would cause camouflage problems in the field. You guys deployed with these plates on the vehicles.
If he can print the maple leaves that should be good enough. I wouldn't expect them to make the embossing die unless there is sufficient demand for replica plates. Most of the vehicles were surplussed with the plates still on, right?
Should I start a separate post in the Restoration section about DND plates? Same plate design would be used for domestic M38s, M151s, Iltis, etc.
Canadian Forces in Europe have a different plate.
The pic you posted above is the correct plate for a CF Vehicle, regardless of wether it is Tactical or Commercial, deployed or domestic. The others with the Red Lettering would have been on private vehicles of those who were posted to Germany/Europe.

As for the CFR Plate, the white background is reflective, CANADA and the green trim line around the plate are embossed but not reflective. The actual Digits and the Maple Leaves are just stickers and are also non-reflective. We usually either remove or just cover the plates with a sandbag during actual operations, so the reflective properties of the plate aren't of a huge concern.

I've seen CFR plates left on surplused vehicles, but that would be an exception and not the rule. Usually lately, with MLVWs anyway, the CFR is just written on the bumper with a lumber crayon or something similar.

Scotty
Old 11-01-10, 03:07

Default CFR Plates

As Scotty said, DND uses the same style on all of its CFR plates even if the vehicle is commercial or SMP. Please keep in mind that the design of the CFR Plate has changed and I have noted three types in use since the early 1970s. Here are a couple of images of Canadian vehicles in use on overseas missions.

Old 19-01-10, 21:01
MUTT Guy

From the EDR Viewer:

CFR No 86109
CFR Year 1984
Serial No BI01-11-84-86109
Actual ECC 121501
Authorized ECC 121501
NSN 2320-21-895-3768
ERN 30111
Holding Unit 0107 (CFB/ASU Petawawa)
DA Unit 0107
Date Acquired 15-Feb-85
Cost 26500
Alloc Code MB
Comm Suite
Current VMO DLE28432 - 24-Aug-00
HN Date 22-Oct-02
Pending? No
Disposed? Yes
Disposal Date 08-Sep-00

So, it came from Petawawa, sadly, I can't pull up the specific Unit it served with. Considering you are depicting the 3 RCR Battle Group with your restoration and this Iltis is from Petawawa, your in the Ball Park.

The strange thing is it went to pasture pretty darn early with a "BX Code, to be converted to MA". Someone may be able to elabourate on that.

Scotty
Old 19-01-10, 23:40
"Skunque-Breaker"

Thanks, Scotty! Need anything from here?

I was hoping it was going to have the ECC 121518 for C&R Iltis with GPMG Mounting Kit. Mine came with twin antenna mounts on the rear bulkhead. No way to tell if that was the proper Comm Suite configuration for my Skunque?

Does being surplussed early mean it was totaled on an accident or something? My Odometer shows 77039 Kms.

WTB: Iltis Cargo Area Floorboards, C9A1 Green Handguard, TICCS Dash Mount; C79 Green Rubber Armor; M72A5-7 LAW Tube; Arid CadPat Rank Slides/Helmet Covers/Pants, etc