MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-02-04, 11:25

Default Australian Rego

Hello. I would like to hear from anyone in Australia who has full NSW registration on their L/H drive ex military vehicle. I have just completed a dodge WC52 and have taken it in for an inspection only to be told I have to have either its original importation papers or proof of previous registration in NSW. My father bought the truck from a farmer unregistered about 20 years ago and of coarse any original import papers have long ago been lost. Does anyone know of a solution to my problem? I am fairly new to the restoration game and as of yet have not joined any clubs, will I have the same problem trying to get club rego? Thanks. Bruce
PS Great forum and website
Old 20-02-04, 11:58

Default AUSTRALIAN REGO

If the vehicle is 30 years or older it can be regoed You will need as many docs as you can come up with ,eg bill of sale , etc
Talk to the RTA
Old 20-02-04, 15:43
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default NSW RTA

The RTA will also probably issue you with a VIN number which you will have to stamp on the chassis.
My Jeep is left hand drive and on full rego, but as it has a few changes to it, it would need engineers reports to be re-registered, so I follow the previous owner's kind advice: "For F***s sake, don't let the rego run out"
Old 20-02-04, 23:58

Thanks Tony & Mike. As my father has had the vehicle for over 20 years but never registered it I have no paper/documents at all. I can get one from him to show that I bought it from him but the RTA are asking for the original importation docs or proof that it has been regestered in NSW before(he bought it from a now deceased farmer unregistered. As to its history prior to the farmer owning it, who would know). It has passed the inspection but without these docs they are not going to register it. Perhapes I will have to have an engineer look at? Someone else in NSW must have faced this problem? Regards Bruce
Old 21-02-04, 10:53

Default Maybe....

If all they need is to establish the AGE of the vehicle, then the chassis number stamped on the front left frame rail can be traced to 1942-45 and your local MV club should be able to give you a letter confirming that.

Dave Robinson has the chassis serial number listing up on the web;

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/%7Edjr/T214.jpg

... and he's in your part of the world too so he should be able to provide independent confirmation that chassis no xxxxxxxx is 1942-45.

If they want to know the date the thing hit Australian soil and all the previous owners and registrations, that might be more difficult.

Gordon
Old 21-02-04, 22:16

Default OZ Rego

Thanks Gordon. I spoke to them again yeterday morning and finally got it down to them wanting proof that the vehicle was imported into Australia legally. They then put me onto the Department of Transport and regional services whom they say may be able to do a chassis no search. I will have to wait until Monday and contact them. It,s amaizing how hard it is to get information out of these departments. Regards. Bruce
Old 22-02-04, 10:01

Default Good luck

OK Bruce, good luck with it.

Bureaucrats

G
Old 24-02-04, 07:18
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Bruce,

From what i can understand, there should be no problem with getting the vehicle registered in NSW on full rego- its just difficult- i can see the problems queing up for my jeep! The RTA doesnt really know what there doing in my opinion, and the reason your getting the run around is because i`d say they are too lazy and dont want the hassle of dealing with any extra paper work! They argued with us that we couldn't have a "day permit" to move our tractor because no such thing existed- we told them to ring a rural office and ask about it- the assistant and office manager learnt something new that day!

If push comes to shove, take your serial number and go to the war memorial in canberrra. Search through the "ARMY VEHICLE REGISTRATION BOOKS" (theres alot of reading but if it means getting your truck on the road!). There are numerous WC's in there- not heaps, but there are a few, and there would be a good chance yours could be in there (unless it was a post war vehicle). Surely they will take the Australian Army rego number as proof of official importation and also prior registration?- wouldnt they?

Combine it with all the advice you got from here, and if needs be join a club where as i understand it, if the vehicle is road worthy and safe it will meet requirements and be put on club rego- not to push it, but the AMVCS- of which i am a member is one club you could join- we're based in NSW- with members from all over.

Cheers, and good luck.

Also, if you can, Five Dock RTA office seems to be good at processing historic vehicles- well they are good to deal with in relation to the club rego plates scheme, so at least they have some understanding about historic vehicles.

Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 24-02-04, 20:23

Default Thanks Ian

Slowly I am getting more and more info. The truck is an ex Snowy Mountains Authority vehicle and would have been registered by them. In approximately 1953 it was bought by a farmer here in NSW and his son assures me it was kept registered until about 1965. I am still waiting on a reply from the dept of transport and regional services and then I will again approach the RTA. Regards. Bruce