MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-10, 06:58
Harold

Default T16 basically the same as a Windsor Carrier?

Is a T16 basically the same as a Windsor Carrier but with tiller bars instead of a steering wheel?
Old 02-07-10, 12:00
MLU Administrator

Harold,

No, it is not:
  • The Windsor is much more akin to the Universal Carrier, it is basically a lenghtened one.
  • The T16 is a completely re-engineered and improved (both in drive train and manufacturing technology) vehicle based on the Universal Carrier.
HTH,
Hanno
Old 02-07-10, 14:25
Harold

Thank you for that usefull info. It is appreciated ..... Harold
Old 02-07-10, 17:09
Richard Harrison

mind that said although improved they apparently dont drive on the roads as easily as the Universals due to lack of track warping system so any camber on the road and like modern tanks the T16 would be "Fifty Pencing" along the road....

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 02-07-10, 17:47
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Well...................

........they both ARE kinda boxy, and have a track down the bottom of each side....

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 02-07-10, 21:02
Richard Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fitton View Post
........they both ARE kinda boxy, and have a track down the bottom of each side....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA classic !

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 02-07-10, 21:12
Harold

is that what you call those things on each side thought they looked more like the things on a ski-do.... LOL
Old 03-07-10, 21:39

both are a right pain to drive and steer i was once told driving any metal tracked vehicle on the raod is like driving a ice-skate lol
Old 04-07-10, 00:20
Harold

I can see why.... ever try walking on polished concrete floors with hobnail and heel irons on your boots? miracle you don't end up on yer arse..... LOL. Was fun to run alongside a concrete road or sidwalk then leap onto the concrete and slide. At night just a shower of sparks you leave behind
Old 04-07-10, 01:08
Richard Harrison

thats why all roads should be made of rubber.......so us hob nail wearing carrier driving whack jobs can have an easier life

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 04-07-10, 04:44

Default Carrier limitations

I once shifted a fully restored U/C for a friend with my L/L Chev. It was sitting in his workshop at a slight angle to the doorway I reversed the truck through to load it up. He attempted to align it by pulling the steering wheel full right to lock the track on that side then gave it a few revs as he eased the clutch out intending to slew the vehicle on the spot. All that happened was the L/H track whizzed around. The carrier never moved.
The same thing happened again when we had it loaded and wanted to straighten it up on the truck. The track simply whizzed around on the steel rub strips. We couldn't get the thing to move itself.
A more serious event took place a couple of days later when the owner attempted to move the carrier whilst on display at a Rats of Tobruk reunion. The thread stripped off the rear end of the long R/H brake rod and the equaliser linkage meant that all pedal travel was used up pulling the disconnected rod= no brakes!!! The vehicle was in neutral and was rolling backwards toward a group of picnickers sitting on the lawn. The driver slammed the transmission into gear and I flicked the ignition off. Disaster averted!
The reason for the thread stripping was that he had replaced the rusted remnants with metric rod instead of imperial and with the rod being undersize only a partial thread was cut.
When we figured out what had happened we realised that steering left would apply the left brake and knowing that were able to shift the vehicle safely under its own power after taking every precaution.
David

Last edited by motto; 04-07-10 at 04:54.
Old 04-07-10, 09:02
Richard Harrison

a popular thing i have seen is drivers "Hooking" whilst making turns ie over cook the turn going to far.... mixed with a bit of camber on the road and it is easy to get in the preverbial crud very quickly......

At the last event in Lincoln i was approached by a good few ww2 veterans all ex carrier drivers so it was good to get some tips from them.... they all came out with the same advice......."turns are made slow.... and i mean slow........ 1st or 2nd gear only no exceptions"

I always wondered if having rubber track pads would help but having thought on this for some time, it would possibly make the driving worse or more hard work anyway.

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 05-07-10, 16:14

I have certainly experienced two incidents of a T16 overcooking it on tarmac roads. One was with me driving in Mons two years ago. I was in the middle of a parade of armour and only keeping to the speed that the tanks in front were managing. Whether they had rubber tracks on or as they are heavier do not suffer in the same was as a Carrier I am not sure. Anyway, travelling at about 20 miles an hour the corner was a long sweeping bend. Trying to keep the turn smooth I guess I probably broke most rules by keeping the centre left tiller pulled and applying more right foot to keep it going until whay heay. Round we went. Suddenly the track locked and the Carrier performed an immediate 60 degree left turn. It was pretty scary for me but for the 3/4 passengers sitting on the top of armour it was dreadful. As I released the tiller it straightened and I was able to carry on my way without too much more drama. But it is a salutory lessen. Suddenly it just goes.
Old 06-07-10, 00:08

My rules are if your in the back you sit right down on the track guards just incase she gets away from me.

as richard saw the other weekend at the end of the drive lol

Harold its funny you should say about the ammo boots with studds, we once did a event at a army camp we all went to the local pub it had a nice wooden floor when we arived but to make things worse the toilet floor was tiles and had a slope down a 10ft long passage with no hand rail was like doing a ski slope till you hit the wall at the bottom getting back out was a pain too ended up using our para ropes to pull us out again

Last edited by martyn; 06-07-10 at 00:13.
Old 06-07-10, 05:52
Harold

Here in good old Canada Eh! we don't wear toe-capped boots(Ammo) but same difference.... glad they went to rubber soled parade boots
Old 06-07-10, 07:53

Default T16 vs Windsor

The biggest difference in parts between the 2 is the running gear , wheels are wider , and tracks are wider too, Windsor only has two axle steering brakes in the drums, and T16 has brakes in drum , and differential steering bands . So T16 has 4 steering levers