MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 31-12-06, 01:26
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Infanteer90
Karmen,
Another silly question I'm sure... did you try cleaning off the snow on the top of the breach of the gun? The vast majority of artillery pieces (that I've seen) have their designation, serial number and usually a year impressed in this location. Of course it may be difficult to see depending on how many layers of paint there are. If you don't understand what I'm talking about I can send you some photos of arty pieces that I photographed while I was training in Borden.
Yes actually, I did think, and wanted to, clean off the snow, but I didn't feel right about taking those liberties without asking someone from the Legions permission first. I know its probably would have been okay to do so, but I just want their permission first

I've already planned to ask that permission from the person who calls me next week.

That would be great f you can send me some photos so I know exactly where to look on the things for dates and numbers

I'll send you an email through your profile so you have my email address on hand

Thanks!!!

Karmen
Old 31-12-06, 03:03
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 7.7CM German gun..

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi folks,

I've been trying to upload the photo of this german WW1 artillery gun but its not happening, so here is the link ... I think this gun looks a LOT like the one I photographed here Too bad there are no words to ID the exact gun it is:

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/l.aspx?k=1990116

STEVE ... I find amazing things playing with the image search function in google. The above photo/site I found through searching "German WW1 artillery" and voila

I come across interesting and amazing sites sometimes in the image searches that are totally different from what I was looking for, but am totally delighted for this "bonus" hit when I find things.

I just "Google all day" ... (take off from a song line in "Doodlin' ")

Karmen
Hi Carmen
You got it...
The gun is German 7.7 CM field cannon..
here is a better picture of it..

Good googling..

http://www.wwi-models.org/app/album/...rman&picInx=40
Old 31-12-06, 03:33
Vets Dottir

Default Re: 7.7CM German gun..

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Hi Carmen
You got it...
The gun is German 7.7 CM field cannon..
here is a better picture of it..

Good googling..

http://www.wwi-models.org/app/album/...rman&picInx=40
Wow, that biggest picture sure looks like the photographed one I took!!! Thanks for posting Alex, my coffee friend!

Karmen
Old 02-01-07, 22:27
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Paging Maj Calnan

Quote:
Originally posted by Infanteer90
Wow, that's fantastic Karmen. Great research. I never would have thought that there would be a photo on the net. There was another gun very similar (the same?) to the right of the photo on the other side of the sidewalk. I don't go to Wetaskiwin very often anymore but will try to remember to take a photo next time.

Steve
Well Steve, THANK YOU! You sent me a photo of a gun and explained EXACTLY where to look ... and I detoured round the front of the Legion on my way home from docs again, brushed the snow off the "breach" area ... and voila!!!

THIS is what I saw engraved on it:

Nr 19241 M457 D (not sure if it is a "D" but looks like it)
G.8,7008 BV ....... (I hope I read those numbers correctly?)
UNION

Does this tell someone what this gun and it's origins are?

Karmen
Old 06-01-07, 19:12
Vets Dottir

No replies to my last with the info on the gun?

That's ok, I did NOT receive a call-back from the Legion yet, either.

Karmen
Old 22-01-07, 18:04
Vets Dottir

FYI To All interested,

I just had a call this morning and a great chat with the new President of the Legion Branch 24 here and he is all excited now to learn some more about the gun. He will be finding out more information as he can and keep me posted.

The Legion is relocating across the street and has plans for giving the gun a lot of TLC and relocating it (There is no place/space for it at the new Legion Location, but it will likely end up at the Cenotaph, TLC'ed and protected better from the elements.

I'm excited to learn more about the history of this gun, namely where it come from and how.

Keep watching here for updates and stories about it all.

Karmen
Old 29-01-07, 22:42
Vets Dottir

Here is an update of the latest about the gun. Does anyone in here have any bright ideas of who/where else to enquire about this gun to find out from where and how, and why, it came to be given to our Local Legion??? Any help appreciated.

Quote:
Hi Carmen. I spoke with a few Veterans who have told me in fact the Cannon in front of our Legion is a World War One captured German Cannon. So far, nobody seems to know when or how we obtained it. I took the following numbers from the breach mechanism this morning in hopes you can find out more with your resources. I tried the "net" but came up empty. Here is what I took off the Cannon.

Nr 19241 M.457 U

GS 7008 RV

UW 101

I'll keep on asking questions as I encounter more Veterans in hopes of getting some concrete answers to pass on to you. Pls. keep me updated on your findings as well
Thank you,

Karmen
Old 30-01-07, 01:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: Re: Same here

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Mike...a never ending controversy about who shot down von Richtofen.

At the Royal Canadian Military Institute (RCMI) in Toronto I saw a seat on display purportedly to be from the Red Baron's Fokker.

It had a bullet hole in the seat pan, flanged downward, i.e. a shot from above, thus fuelling even further controversy.
The seat, with no bullet holes in base:
Attached Thumbnails
scan10010.jpg