MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 15-04-14, 08:20

Default F60L with wireless body

Hello

I wondering to know if the body of the FORD F60L pictured is an original body.
On the paper the designation is 448 F GS6.

The truck was shoted in 1987 at "LE BOURGET" an airport near PARIS in 1987.
The owner told that the truck was used by ORTF (the ex french official broadcasting company). The story of this truck is sad because it was left out of shed and the body has completely disappeared. The remain of the truck (frame and cab will come in our association) and we hope to build a standad body .

Serge
Attached Thumbnails
F60L_WIRELESS.jpg  
Old 15-04-14, 13:27

There are severeal things about the body that make me think it might be non-original.
I have seen images of 3 wireless bodies in Bill Gregg's book "Canada's Fighting Vehicles", models C33, I and R. Compared to these 3 models the body seems taller relative to the cab than on the 3 original models. The gap between body ans cab seems longer than original. Also the 3 original bodies (and the body used on the 15cwt wireless trucks) had rounded wheel arches instead of the angular ones shown in your image (also not as high into the body as shown in your image).

It also looks as if someone has fitted dual rear wheels to the rear of the truck shown in your photo although only the inner wheel is present. This makes the body look wide compared to the truck but I think the width would look more normal if single rear wheels were fitted.

I think the model designation is not a normal designation in Canadian service. My guess is that the 448 comes from the original F-60448-M designation where 448 translates to 4 wheels, 4 driving wheels, 158 inch wheelbase. My guess is that the F in your designation is for Ford and that GS6 may indicate that it originally had a General Sevice cargo body. I don't know whether the 448 F GS6 could have been a normal, post-war description in French Army service.
Old 15-04-14, 18:08

Default FORD with wireless body

Hello

I thank you very much for your accurate analysis. So I feel no regret to see the truck without it's non original body even if these late had a certain story.

It was the little windows that had leaded me to think that it was an original part.
I join a picture of the actual view of the truck. Happily all parts of the cab had been stored in a shed and with this truck I have time to see the difference between FORD of 1943 and my truck of begin 1945.

Best regards serge
Attached Thumbnails
FORD_DUGNY.jpg  
Old 07-01-15, 09:19

Default History found again

Hello

Some time after I posted these thread, I meet a man who know the story of these truck. In fact as some member wrote, the body is not a canadian builded body but the body was builded in 3 exemplaires during word war two in GREAT BRITAIN.
The body was used for communication (we dont know where) but after the war it was used in CHYPRE .then it was demobbed and used by french ORTF (civilian radio). A canadian collector was interessed to sale the truck but died following health problem.

May be I could know more of these truck

best regards Serge