MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-17, 08:54

Default Tiger Tanks

A friend and I spent a day at the Tank Museum (Bovington) over Christmas. We got to see the Tiger display that is currently under construction, featuring all the models (except one!). The missing model is the 'Sturmtiger' and I think the only surviving example is in the Museum at Munster. The museum themselves have stated that they are willing to lend it to the Bovy display, but it seems that the trust which actually owns it are not so willing.

It turns out that Bovy actually owned one in 1948, but cut it up, but still have the barrel. Which has always been on display. (Strange fat short thing that was designed for some sort of missile launch). If they can't borrow the Munster tank, the plan is to make a hologram of the Sturmtiger utilising their original barrel.

As widely publicised the 'Elefant Tiger' has been loaned from the Aberdeen proving grounds in USA at a cost of 80 Grand for shipping, part of which has been sponsored by the computer gaming company "Tank World".....Of which I know nothing! It's positioned next to Bovy's own Tiger 1.

Unfortunately my photography skills are lacking, but here is a flavour, plus a pic of the Munster Sturmtiger. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
048.jpg   Panzer_Museum_ Munster_2011_24.jpg  
Old 11-01-17, 21:26

Ron,

Thanks for the pictures and update on the exhibition.
I think Kubinka also has a Sturmtiger in their collection, but I am not sure. I am certain it would be even harder to get that one to Bovington for an exhibition.

Costs can be enourmous, but I do like the fact that not only famous paintings are travelling the globe for exhibitions, but also tanks and military vehicles.
There is a Vickers tank from the Bovvy collection here on loan in Holland now....a few years ago there was a railway gun from the UK on loan to the Railway museum here in Holland...... Saumur travelled with their Tiger II to a classic car show in Paris last year and to the Montormel memorial with a Panther. Now, the Elefant temporarily returned to Europe from the US!

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 11-01-17 at 21:33.