MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-08-06, 23:14
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Collecting veterans stories

I'm working on a proposal to record (on video) the stories of veterans of WW2, Korea and Vietnam conflicts. I know something along these lines has been conducted by Vet's Affairs in Australia, but these are to be recorded along with scanning any photographs or other memorabilia they may have. I'm also interested in what they did before and after their service.

I've started to put a list of reasons why this should be done, and I'd be interested to hear your perspective on it and to add more good reasons to do this.

Here's a start:

1 Historic perspective - Oral, first-hand stories, which often provide an immediacy and detail to official histories.
2 It recognizes the value of their service, sacrifice and deeds.
3 It honors the memory of those who have fallen.
4 It educates and inspires our youth - these people are generally excellent role models.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 16-08-06, 23:56
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Another reason

Just had a call from Max Hedges who made an interesting and valid addition to the list.

Several years ago I recorded Max's dad Charlie telling of his service.

Having a veteran tell his story to someone outside the family can bring out amazing stories even they have not heard before. It can be a great benefit to the rest of the family as a record of an important part of their family history as well as being a good record of their grandparent or parent when they were still able to tell their stories.
It also instils a sense of pride in the family in the achievements.

Any other comments?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 17-08-06, 00:07
Vets Dottir

I just love your idea Keith, as I'm sure lots of other people do too. At the moment I can't think of a thing to add to your 4 reasons ... those four cover a lot of territory and are good enough reasons, in my books, to approve and proceed with making it all happen.

Karmen.
Old 22-08-06, 14:40

In this age of mass imformation I sometimes think we leave so much personel history go unspoken. We search out so many things from around the globe seated at out own desks, that we must miss the experiences of the people so close to us. Only the other day I saw a picture of my grandfather in Crete during the war. He was surrounded by his mates sitting on a number of cab 12 CMPs.
I have been interested in and owned blitzs for years and never knew my grandfather drove them during the war.
Record as much as is possible Keith. These men will not be around forever, but your recordings will last and enlighten for generations.
I will post the photo of my Grandfather as soon as my mother forwards a copy to me.
Grant Fincher
Old 22-08-06, 18:12
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Collecting veterans stories

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb

I've started to put a list of reasons why this should be done, and I'd be interested to hear your perspective on it and to add more good reasons to do this.

Anything that helps the kids to get their thumbs out of their GameBoys, forget their bling-blingity, hip-hoppity, Snoop-droopity, rap-crappity world of instant gratification is a worthy cause!

Tomorrow on Maury Povich: Hoo da baby daddy?
Alajuwon, you are not the father!

I've been privileged to meet Franz Stigler, a fellow member of the R.C.A.F. Association several times. Franz flew a Bf. 109 with 6/JG 27 during the war and is the subject of a famous painting by Robert L. Harper titled : "The Ultimate Honor." Franz came upon a lone B-17F that had just been savagely mauled by no less than 15 german fighters. The B-17 had also received severe damage from flak over Bremen. Almost half the crew was dead or wounded. Instead of finishing the B-17 off, Franz flew alongside the bomber, visually inspecting it and saw gunners slumped over their machine guns and that the plane was virtually a sitting duck. Instead of finishing it off, Franz saluted the crew, rolled his fighter over and flew away. My point in mentioning this? To read a story such as this is interesting, but truly, just another story among thousands. To hear it being told by one of the participants the story becomes riveting and one that will be remembered throughout your life. So Keith, it is well worth the effort to preserve stories such as this, as told by the veterans themselves.
I also have met Hans Belm, an Obergefreiter of the Heere and who was wounded on the Ostfront and became one of the few to escape Stalingrad. But thats a story for another day.
Keep up the good work, it's truly a noble effort.

CHIMO!