MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-10-08, 08:32

Default i just bought a CMP! and need help identifying it..

hi everyone, Im new to this site.My name is Jon and i live in Kelowna B.C. Canada. i just bought an old CMP last week, and i am in need of some help.

I was out driving around looking for new dirtbike trails around the city i live in, and came across an area of forest with alot of old trucks parked in. my curiosity got the best of me and i started snooping around. after about 30 minutes i came across an old army truck. i thought it was really cool looking and knew as soon as i saw it i had to have it. so i started asking around the area and tracked down the guy that owned it. i easilly talked him into selling it to me for $500 Canadian. The bad part is it doesnt have any paperwork since it has been sitting for 25 years.

When i bought/found it i had no idea what it was, all i knew is that it was a cool looking old army truck. so after i got it home i started reaserching what it is. after looking around on the web trying to identify this thing i have come to the conclusion that it is a 1941 cab 12 Chevrolet C15A 4x4.

Its in very good condition for sitting 25 years. the previous owner said he used it as a farm truck and then one day just parked it and never drove it again, so this thing is almost fully complete (except for the passenger compartment engine cover - "Doghouse") and not really any rust anywhere. the only real damage is the headlight bucket is dented. the engine still shows oil at exactly full mark, and 2 of the tires still held air. the tranny and t case still shift aswell. the brake master is dried up though.

Anyways, i can find any data plates or chasiss numbers are any identifing number anywhere. i found the casting numbers on the engine and tranny and tcase but thats it. there is also a plate on the engine saying it was rebuilt in "10-45" and the tires have the year 1945 on them so im guessing after the war it got a total overhaul and then sold off to a private party.

So my question is Where can i look for chassis numbers or any other important numbers??? i have already looked on the front left frame rail and cant see anything. can some one help me? i will post pictures of it later. thank in advance! wow that was alot of typing. :
Old 23-10-08, 08:53

Old 23-10-08, 10:29
Andrew

Welcome to the forum Jon
Congratulations on the c15a
You are right with the chev c15a 1941 cab 12
It does look to be in good order and dosen't appear to be missing too much
Good price too
They don't usually have chassis numbers and the main identification plates are located on the drivers side panel of the engine cover(3 piece engine cover)
Engine number is located on the drivers side of the motor ,usually just behind the distributor on a flat section,sometimes in front of dizzy or behind valve side plate
Do you intend on an original restoration ?
Post a few pictures of the internal cab and dash array
Good luck with it

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"

Last edited by aj.lec; 23-10-08 at 21:59.
Old 23-10-08, 15:42

Default Welcome to the CMP world

Jonny

Looks like a good find, the body is in very good condition compared to some that have been found and restored. If you are new to MLU I think you are going to find a wealth of information and people willing to help.

Good to see another Pattern 12 being restored.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 23-10-08, 19:37

Congrats Jon!

Your C15 looks like my C8 on steroids. I hope you enjoy your as much as I am enjoying mine!
Old 24-10-08, 04:05
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Nice

hi Jonny

The most important thing is: you have found the MLU forum. The collective knowledge here will have your truck running again in no time .

That is a very nice find... amazing what is still sitting around the bush waiting to be discovered.

Please realize it is a long road , the restoration game .. you need to be silly or something.. be patient and ask many questions .. we all start out with little idea.

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 24-10-08, 09:48
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
, the restoration game .. you need to be silly or something.. be patient and ask many questions .. we all start out with little idea.

Mike
Isn't that the truth

The more you learn about them ,the more you realise there is to learn(me anyway)

There is a suprising amount of variations throughout the models and then you get field modifications on top of that

I have found the majority of members of this forum are extremely helpful and an absolute wealth of knowledge

Last edited by aj.lec; 25-10-08 at 00:52.
Old 24-10-08, 13:35
former Resident Historian

Default Engine #

What's the engine number on the block please? I can't find a casting # 3860439 in any database! It's a 1950-on style number.
Old 24-10-08, 14:22
1942 C15A

Default New CMP owner

Greetings Jonny. Way to go Bud !!! That's a keen find.

Wishing you the best in your efforts to restore this Chevy.

This IS the place to ask questions, Mate !

Cheers, Johnnie
Old 24-10-08, 16:42
Derek Heuring

Default Welcome to MLU!

Great find Jon. It's good to see there are still unfound MV's waiting to be discovered. Over the years, B.C. has been very productive in that area. The best advice I can give you would be to join the Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society located in the Lower Mainland. There are at least three CMP owners in the club (Harry Moon, Walter Webster, Ian Newby)who I'm sure will be of great assistance to you. I recommend you contact either of the following members who will hook you up with them:

Colin Stevens (604) 465-1184
Ian MacArthur (604) 582-6401

Good luck and keep posting pics. Derek.

(P.S. Interesting rebuild plate. I wonder how that truck came to be rebuilt in Washington state?)

Last edited by sapper740; 26-10-08 at 12:36.
Old 24-10-08, 16:55

Default Welcome to the asylum.......

.....fantastic find and amazingly complete....... and a very lucky guy!!!

Take your time...... plan what you will be doing..... photograph every thing three times....(back up your photos for crashes)... tag bag and label everything you remove. You have a vehicle worthy of a good restoration.

The MLU will be a great resource....... don't be afraid to ask questions and continue to post photos of your progress....... it's nice to see some young(er) faces join this great hobby.

Boob
Canada
Old 25-10-08, 04:38

thanks for the welcome everyone. i am looking forward into getting this thing back going and have fun ripping it around in the awesome back country forests of my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
What's the engine number on the block please? I can't find a casting # 3860439 in any database! It's a 1950-on style number.
that is a picture of the engine casting number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
hi Jonny

Please realize it is a long road , the restoration game .. you need to be silly or something.. be patient and ask many questions .. we all start out with little idea.

Mike

yes i know. i have never really restored a vehicle, but although i am only 24, i have have done some fairly extensive modifications to other vehicles i have owned. i know it is sort of off topic for this forum but oh well. here is a picture of a mazda truck that took me 2 years to build as well as an older ford 4x4 which took me 2 years to build as well for doing some serious offroading. and yes i built the cab. it was not factory 6 doors.

the day i got it.

how it looks now

my mazda ( sold last year )

Last edited by jonny; 25-10-08 at 07:46.
Old 25-10-08, 05:03

Default Go for it boy......

Jonny..... you seem to have the brains and the creativity and a good place to work ........ go for it.

I guarantee it will be an experience to drive it.... RHD and shifting with your left hand..... and double clutch through 4 gears to get up to 45 mph donwhill with a good tail wind.

Do keep us informed of your progress with pictures.....some of us can't read!!!

Boob
Canada
Old 25-10-08, 05:49
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny
that is a picture of the engine casting number.
I think david is after the actual engine number ,not the casting number
Should be on the flat section behind the dizzy or just in front as these pictures show
Probably have to dig off half an inch of crap to find it
With this number you should be able to tell if it is an near original block or later replacement
with a rebuild date of 1945 it should be pretty close
Attached Thumbnails
Copy%20of%20IMG_0014.JPG  

Old 25-10-08, 07:45

ok ill check on that when i get a chance. thanks! and the engine cover is gone from in the cab so im guessing ill never know what the chassis number or anything is. are there any other numbers known to be on these that i can look for?
Old 26-10-08, 06:56

Update on my contact info:

Colin MacGregor Stevens
Richmond, BC
seaforth72@gmail.com
604-341-1917
Member Western Command and Military Vehicle Preservation Association (since 1977)

Western Command has some members in the BC Interior. Albert Siemons knows the "who's who" there. He hown Esta Trading (surplus) there in Kelowna.

Your truck is in better shape than most as it is in dry area. Like those I found in Sask. Try to track back to original owner as the cargo and tool boxes may be sitting on farm. Look carefully for original markings BEFORE you sandblast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look atg my web site page on markings:
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/markings_...y_vehicles.htm

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 20-11-08, 03:14

Default C15a

Sure nice to see there are a few oldies out there still, here is a C15A I found out in Saskatchewan 3 years ago, it took time to restore but I sure had fun, make sure you have a good camera, take loads of pictures, parts are still around but getting tought to find, the MLU site is great, as are the members, Brian Asbury, Bob Carriere, Phil Waterman, Colin Stevens, Dave Pope all great people for help and ideas.

Good luck
Cheers
Gordon
1943 Willys MBT 1/4 Ton Trailer Delivery 4-43

Last edited by Gordons; 25-02-09 at 06:15.
Old 20-11-08, 04:15
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. My name is Jon. I just bought an old CMP last week, and I have come to the conclusion that it is a 1941 cab 12 Chevrolet.....
I see why you bought a Chev, as it looks like you've already lost some fingertips adjusting the distributor on a Ford CMP!

Actually, it's a shame that you didn't find a Ford, as going by your other trucks, there's a lot you could do with a Flathead in a CMP.

** Purists hear sound of fingernails on blackboard**
Attached Thumbnails
Blower.JPG  
Old 20-11-08, 21:19

Hi Jon,

Welcome. MLU-ers are scattered all over the world. I have just added the third continent to this thread. Often you ask a question just before going to bed at your end of the world and when you get up you have reactions from other parts of the world where day is night, or night is day....

Anyway good to see another MLU-er in the 20's! I also belong to that group for another half a year or so and also bought my first CMP earlier this year, a Chevrolet C8 FFW 1940.

Have fun here!

Alex

p.s. kinda like the other projects as well. I am restoring two Fiat 500's, one Abarth 695 SS and one Giannini 500 TV. Well nevermind.....both small Fiats the size of the tires on your black truck....
Old 20-11-08, 21:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Mr Manual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
ok ill check on that when i get a chance. thanks! and the engine cover is gone from in the cab so im guessing ill never know what the chassis number or anything is. are there any other numbers known to be on these that i can look for?
Hi Jonny..
What a great truck..!!
Harry and the lads on the left coast are a wealth of info..Colin Stevens is a great guy and there are parts manuals for your truck from Mr Manual...

http://www.dana-nield.com/d32/Defaul....com/d32/blair

Get a hold of him and he'll set you up with the right manuals ..
Good Canadian lad and the best manuals on the internet..Biggest Canadian Military manual collection on the internet.,..and in the world that are available to restorers..
Keep the pix coming..great job on the 6 door..you'll have no problem with the C8..
Good Luck.
The Original Mr Manual..

Old 06-02-09, 17:38
Terry

jonny

Thats a neat find, BUT please dont make it into a monster truck as its worth more just bare bones stock OEM military, If you want to go boon docking buy a old Jeep TJ , cheap and by the dozen

LOL !

If you decide to ever sell it PM me.

BCBlitz
Old 07-02-09, 03:09
Derek Heuring

Default Texas Longhorn fan in B.C.

Yes, there are Texas Longhorn fans throughout the world, even B.C.

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
Attached Thumbnails
cooltruck027.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-07-10, 10:51

Jonny,

How is the cab12? Any luck recovering it yet?

Alex