MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 20-07-12, 06:06
GM Fox I

Default Another Mk.I Canadian colour question

Many Canadian CMP's were factory painted desert 'Light Stone'. Mk.I Canadian carriers were 'desert equipped' with sand shields and extra water bins at the back...yet...after going through all the material I have I can't find a single example of a Canadian factory painted carrier in desert 'Light Stone'. The one example of 'new' Canadian carriers I have in North Africa all have the 'sling here' and bridge class sign painted over which strongly suggests the desert paint was new and over the (khaki?) factory finish.

So my question is...were Canadian Carriers ever factory painted in desert 'Light Stone' paint?
Old 20-07-12, 16:33
Richard Harrison

i will be corrected here no doubt but its my understanding that they left Windsor in the standard drab green colour... i have heard that some supplied to the Italian Theatre 43 - 45 were painted SCC2 Brown, but have never heard of them being light stone when they left the factory.

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 20-07-12, 16:41

Can't say I have come across and pictures from the factory with them in a lighter colour. Also I have only come across NOS parts in either the KG#3 or SCC2 colours. I have seen some CMP parts in factory paint light stone but that was it.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 23-07-12, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
i will be corrected here no doubt but its my understanding that they left Windsor in the standard drab green colour... i have heard that some supplied to the Italian Theatre 43 - 45 were painted SCC2 Brown, but have never heard of them being light stone when they left the factory.
Brown from it adoption in 1941-2(?) was the standard colour untill the adoption of Green in early 1944.

My Mk11* came out the factory in brown in 1944.
Old 23-07-12, 13:20
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
Brown from it adoption in 1941-2(?) was the standard colour untill the adoption of Green in early 1944.

My Mk11* came out the factory in brown in 1944.
Thanks Niel. It seems ''desert" coloured CMP's and wheeled armour left the assembly line alongside the more common brown and khaki versions. It would make sense carriers did too but I can't find any evidence they did.
Old 23-07-12, 15:00
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Thanks Niel. It seems ''desert" coloured CMP's and wheeled armour left the assembly line alongside the more common brown and khaki versions. It would make sense carriers did too but I can't find any evidence they did.
Does this affect your plan to re-paint your carrier in Light Stone?
Old 24-07-12, 00:36
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Does this affect your plan to re-paint your carrier in Light Stone?
Thanks Jon, Leave it to you to let the carrier out of the bag. It may not change the plan, but it wold certainly mean the difference between stripping it down and painting each bit or just giving an "in theater" RCEME once over look.
Old 12-12-14, 02:19

I grew up with petrolium-based enamal paint and lacquer. Water-based paint was only good for interior walls...
Times have changed.
When Mike Starmer sent me a color chip of the green for my Humber A/C I could not find an automotive or industrial paint supplier (here int he US) that could match it.

Then I started to have good luck with painting some ammo boxes with semi-gloss Latex house paint.

While it pains me to say it, I think that the exterior grade latex's are pretty good on the metal vehicles. Since most all of them are garaged, I don't see the chalking and fading Like I did even 10 years ago.

AND, I am finding our favorite WW2 Brit colors on paint chips in Lowes and Martin-Seynour. I think I will use the "Satin" finish for my next paint job....
Old 12-12-14, 10:13
AKA Rick Wedlock

ben just spoke to the guys at R and R services and they don't stock it, can you let me know where you got yours from and the colour code and post it up on this thread for us all. cheers

rick
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 12-12-14, 10:32
Richard Harrison

Chromadex mate. You want a 10% Matt 222 fast air drying paint.

They have the full range of colours in BS and RAL. But can mix to specific shades.

To my understanding All carriers left in green, later (43) they knocked them out in scc2 dog muck brown.

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 12-12-14, 12:04

It's my understanding that the required colour for vehicles to be painted with at the outbreak of war was a mat light Khaki Green colour. My research over many years of motorcycle restorations has led me to realise that the Khaki colour varied considerably though. I have found several samples of original paint inside brake plates and chain covers, NOS parts etc.

The colour can vary from light Khaki, similar to the US Light Olive to a dark Green/Brown colour. I have never found a BS or Ral number and relied purely on mixing Service brown and British Olive Drab in ratios of 25-75, 50-50, or 75-25. To give my collection a range of different colours that I find pleasing.

I know that some guys have spent a lot of time coming up with a " definitive Khaki Green" based on a WW2 sample, but I don't think there is any such thing, but it is always nice to have some proof of an original colour, and therefore achieve the best match to that colour by mixing it yourself or at your local auto paint shop....or Cromadex.

by 1942 Earth or Service Brown was instigated. But of course that also depended on the shades from different manufacturers and the need to use up old stocks of paint by mixing it in with the new colour.

Nothing cast in Stone.

Ron
Old 12-12-14, 14:30
AKA Rick Wedlock

I reckon you hit the nail on the head there ron and you've given me an idea, the colour looks to me to be a light olive drab and it might be the case that the early carriers used U.S. light olive drab so I've ordered light olive and will try it for a match when it arrives, if it's too light I can easily darken it down with a normal drab green. i'm determined to get the colour spot on !
i'll put the results up next week when I've done the swatch.

thanks for all your help

rick
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)