MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-03-03, 16:22
Vets_Dottir

Default RCAF 420 SQUADRON `Wanky Wonder'

Does the nick-name of this bomber plane ring any bells for anyone?

`Wanky Wonder' (A Wellington I believe) Snowy Owls 420 Squadron

I've been searching for a friend. His 87 yr old Dad (still living) was the pilot (also flew other planes)

Son wants photo. Dad asked son: `See what you can find out about my old squadron.' (am checking out RCAF sites too...but nothing there yet so thot it wouldn't hurt to try here.

I'd love to help fill the wishes of this pilot especially... his eyes aren't good but his ears and wishes are

Thanks! Carman
Old 13-03-03, 17:25
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 420 (Snowy Owl) Squadron, R.C.A.F.

Hi Carman;

Here are a couple of wedsites that will give you info on 420 Sqn:

http://www.rcaf.com/squadrons/420sqn.shtml

http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/parkerdw/420webpage/

http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/joehicks5.html

Also, the name of a good book which includes them when they were part of No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Group, Bomber Command:

"Reap The Whirlwind, The Untold Story of 6 Group, Canada's Bomber Force of World War II".

By: Spencer Dunmore and William Carter.

Published: 1991, By: McClelland & Stewart Inc., The Canadian Publishers; Toronto, Ontario.

ISBN: 0-7710-2924-1

Cheers
Old 13-03-03, 22:14
Vets_Dottir

Default Thanks Mark!!!

Hey...Way to go Mark You really are
a wealth of info. My neighbor(pilots son)
mentioned something about his `6' group...
His dad received some medals for his service
as well as a recommendation for a `DCF'medal
(Distinguished `something')

These links you posted will probably
come up with some answers for my
neighbor and his Dad.

Take Care...C
Old 13-03-03, 22:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 420 Sqn

Hi Carman;

Re: 'DCF' medal, I think you mean the 'DFC' - Distinguished Flying Cross. Read all about it here:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...nu/group01/dfc

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 13-03-03 at 22:54.
Old 13-03-03, 22:55
Vets_Dottir

Default MARK: DFC

Carman says to Mark:

"DFC...Of COURSE. That's
exactly what I said!"

Thanks...yet again!
Old 14-03-03, 03:01

In May 1943 No's 420, 424 and 425 formed No 331 Wing and were sent to North Africa. It remained in Tunisia for six months primarily in interdiction bombing of Italian railways junctions and ports. They returned back to England in November 1943 and the three squadrons began converting to Halifax III.

I'll dig around my book shelf to see what else I can find. I've got "Reap The Whirlwind" so I'll check that one too.

Try a RAF site too, they sometimes have records of Squadrons that were on loan to them.
Old 14-03-03, 03:06

Just checked the book and there's lots on No 420!
Old 14-03-03, 04:38
Vets_Dottir

Default Reap The WhirlWind

MARK and REGINA:

`Reap the Whirlwind' wins as a keeper
checker-outer

Thanks to you both!
Old 14-03-03, 18:43
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 420 Sqn, RCAF

Carman;

Here is a website you may find interesting, it is a list of the British Air Stations used by the R.C.A.F. in the UK, 1939-1945, along with which R.C.A.F. Squadrons flew from them.

http://www.angelfire.com/sk/lestwe/a...nsbritain.html

Cheers
Old 14-03-03, 21:46
Vets_Dottir

Default MARK

Got it...thanks
Old 16-03-03, 14:54
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 420 (Snowy Owl) Squadron

Carman;

Here is a link to the history of 420 (Snowy Owl) Squadron:

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/hist/420sqn_e.htm

Cheers
Old 16-03-03, 21:16
Vets_Dottir

Default Mark

MARK: Thanks! I'll pass along the link.

(just had to use this face...it makesme laugh!!!

Take care. C
Old 17-03-03, 00:14
Senior Forum Member

Smile Re: 420 (Snowy Owl) Squadron Link

Your welcome.........

Cheers
Old 28-03-03, 23:11
Vets_Dottir

Default 426 Sqaudron

Hi All.

"RELIC" of the BEACHCOMBERS (our BC show)was with the RCAF 426 Squadron. I'll have to find the link again if anyone wants to check him out

My neighbors Dad, besides the 420 Snowy Owls, also was with the 426 Squadron in Africa. Don't know if he and `Relic' got acquainted tho.

I just thought this little tid-bit might be interesting to someone in here

Take Care.
Old 28-03-03, 23:50
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 426 Sqn RCAF

Hi Carman;

Here is the link regarding 426 Squadron, RCAF: http://www.airforce.forces.ca/hist/426sqn_e.htm

Cheers
Old 29-03-03, 04:54
Vets_Dottir

Smile Excellent News I Hope

MARK: Thanks for that link. I copy and send any new links to Rog (the pilots son)

Excellent news...I hope:

I may have been instumental in re-uniting the pilot and one of his crew members!!!! His bombardier's son is searching for info and crew members too, in cahoots with his bombardier Dad who is now over 80 and not well.

My persistant browsing of message boards and sites pays off sometimes, in very very nice way, for others.

MARK...it was your post that got me browsing and seacrhing again for Rog and his Dad. THANK YOU for the little in-cite

COMMENT in GENERAL: It's mind-boggling and wonderful to see so many vets leaving messages on line requesting info about their old war bud's and crews, and also is great to see the interest that the younger generations are showing in searching out history. Lest we forget? Hmmm... I think we won't. Some of us won't let that happen now, will we?

PS: Stu (pilot) had a trunkful of his war memorabillia stolen in around th 1960's, including medals, uniform, etc. He finally was able to get replacements of medals and another uniform, but meanwhile a whole TRUNK FULL of `many many photos', papers, uniform, etc are floating around `OUT THERE' somewhere.

Just so you all know.

Take care.
Old 29-03-03, 05:03
Vets_Dottir

Default WANKY WONDER the plane

Hi again. Just remembered something I've been meaning to post in here about the name of the plane:

RCAF Wanky Wonder, Snowy Owls, 420 Sqd. Gr. 6:

The `WANKY WONDER'... this name WAS actually painted on the plane, but on it's SIDE, rather than on it's nose (I was told).

Take care. C
Old 29-03-03, 05:05
Senior Forum Member

Smile Re: Excellent News I Hope

Hi Carman;

Your Welcome

Cheers
Old 13-05-03, 01:35
Vets_Dottir

Default Update

Hi All.

In case anyone is interested I thought I'd add a little update about this thread.

Stu (the pilot) is finally getting some info and contacts from his past with the 420's and 426's Squadrons and I'm not sure if the contact has happened directly with Stu yet, but we've definately located his Bombardier's son, who in turn will get direct contact happening between Stu and Stan (his Bombardier)(got that straight?) There may be an exchange of information and photos happening soon, I'm glad to say. Stan has issues with dementia but my understanding is sometimes he's very clear.

All in all, I've come into contact with amazing men and women in my searching my own stuff and helping others. I'm impressed and my heart feels so good knowing I've been able to help people reunite with their pasts when they want to and don't have the resources, but I do

OFF TOPIC- sorta:

I've had a number of close Manitoban relatives pass away since Dec 30 and have been in the Wpg Free Press Obituaries to get copies of writ-ups. I noticed within the last few days there have been 2 elderly members of the RCAF who have passed on... I can't remember their names though.

I know some of you guys in here have connections to the RCAF ... if you want me to try and find those names/obits for you, I'll goback and loof for them and send them to you! Just private message me or something and consider it done!

Take Care... Carman
Old 13-05-03, 13:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Stan has issues with dementia ...
Now THERE'S the pot talking to the kettle...
Old 13-05-03, 14:01
Vets_Dottir

Default dissapointen in you Geoff :(

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
And here I quickly the notification of a message for this thread thinking...GEE... someone wants me to do a favor and help them for a change... COOL!!! Nice to payback some of the good deeds towards me...BUT...NOOOOOOOOOOo

Heres GEOFF... being a smarty pants Next obit I read could be yours dear As faras dementia goes, its one of my redeeming qualities.
Old 22-05-03, 23:51
Vets_Dottir

Default Re: Re: Update

Quote:

HEY GEOFF...in case you missed the last message, here's another one

C yah
Old 23-05-03, 02:16
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Geoff, are you saying Carman my suffer from dementia?...hmmm........ : I'll have to think about this one

Hi Carman.........I'm back
Old 23-05-03, 23:06
Vets_Dottir

Default OH NO...............

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Geoff, are you saying Carman my suffer from dementia?...hmmm........ : I'll have to think about this one

Hi Carman.........I'm back

OH NO...HE's BAAAAACK!
Old 05-07-03, 09:24
Vets_Dottir

Smile UPDATE:)

Hi All... here's an update whether you-all want it or not

STU the Wanky Wonder's pilot...and I think Stanley White were both recommended for DFC but never received them. Both are still "with us" and last I heard is that the son of Stan (no...NOT son of Sam)is seeing about getting these medals presented to these two men now. I know for certain that Stu was recommended...I saw the notation about it on his records.

If that can actually happen????? (can it after all this time?) that would be pretty amazing.
Old 11-12-03, 01:05
Vets_Dottir

Unhappy RCAF Navigator Stanley White Passes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
[B]

December 10, 2003
STANLEY HERBERT WHITE January 6, 1917 - December 5, 2003 Stan White died peacefully, after a short illness at the Glenboro Personal Care Home, Glenboro, MB. He was predeceased by his wife Margaret (Gilchrist); brothers, Ernie, Jack
and Fred; and by sisters, Phyllis Martinson and Gladys Coulter. Stan is survived by his sister Norah Sheppard of Point Claire, QC; daughter Donna (Jim) Rawlings of Glenboro, MB; son John (Charlotte) White of Calgary, AB; and by
grandchildren, Michael, Scott (Lynnaea) and Elin Rawlings, and Ryan and Heather White.

Stan served in the Second World War with the RCAF 420 Squadron, and was a longtime member of the Southminster United Church, Calgary, and a lifetime member of King George Masonic Lodge #59. Cremation has taken place and a memorial service will be held on Saturday, December 13 at 2:00 p.m. at St. Matthews United Church, 2039-26A St. S.W., Calgary, AB. In lieu of flowers, memorial
donations may be made in Stan's memory to the Glenboro Personal Care Home, Box 310, Glenboro, MB R0K 0X0, or to a charity of one's choice. Jamieson Funeral Service of Baldur-Glenboro in care of arrangements. 1-204-827-2480

=========================

Stanley White was the Navigator for the Wanky Wonder, and Pilot "Stu" Carruthers, of the 420 Snowy Owl Squadron. Experiencing dementia for some time, Stan had some lucid moments. During one of those wonderful moments, he and "Stu" had their FIRST voice to voice communication since WW2. During the War, Stan and Stu were like "best buds" and just went in separate directions after the war, beut never NEVER forgot each other or missing each other. That they were able to have "one last talk" ... ah... well ...only you whohave experinced the same thing will KNOW what this meant to both of these wonderful RCAF Men.

I feel so honoured and pleased that just through my little computer and synchronicity with Stu's son, that these two found each other again.

I finally MET Stu in person not too long ago... lucky me!

Lest we Forget ... remember what these guys were there for, and what they meant to each other, they went through some pretty hairy scarey moments and almost didn't come home again ... and survived all these years to tell their stories, well...some of it, to their sons. The rest they held and holdin their hearts and minds...

Bless them both.

Carman
Old 11-12-03, 07:53
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default re: Stanley White

I'm not normally a religious guy, but everytime I read an obituary for a veteran I think - " Thank God for men ( and women) like these."

May he rest in peace for evermore.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)