MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 29-11-08, 05:16

Default Chrysler Prototype

Do a search on google for chrysler prototype truck.

There is apparently one for sale in Cantley quebec.

Has anyone else spotted this rarity coming up?

Robin
Old 29-11-08, 09:33
Film maker, CMP addict

Default You mean this one?

Link

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-11-08, 13:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Bears a strange resemblance to the Australian XF4, a trials vehicle which also dates from around 1969, and also the Land Rover 101" Forward Control. Must have had the same common tastes in ugly in those days!
Old 29-11-08, 15:46

Default Similar to.....

Hi Tony

It should be similar as a number of models were submitted to the Canadian government for testing...... I understand it was an attempt at replacing the old M series Dodges. They put out proposal with specs to various suppliers.

The testing was done at the LETTI (spelling ?) site in Orleans/Ottawa.

They tested this model of Chrysler, some very similar COE Volvos, Land Rover and Steyr. Whent he deal fell through all the imported trucks were scrapped apparently because they had never been certified for use in CANADA.

Why were the Chrysler sold off as surplus escapes me. there were 7 of these handmade prototype..... all aluminium bodies...fully independent A frame suspension. Disk brakes on all four wheels mounted inboard inside the water tight hulls. Both front and rear axles had a strange spacer between the cast axle housing and the sheet metal cover...about 3 inches thick and contained coolant circulated by the engine to keep the axle frm over heating.

To do daily service of the engine you can reach it under the large bench seat and about as practical as a cab 11. Any significant work is best done by removing the floor plates in the cargo box and crawling down into the hull cavity. It probably still has the original 318 chrysler industrial engine.

Trucks rides exceptionaly smoothly with the large 14x20 tires. All suspension parts, U joints and brakes are standard 1969 over the counter parts.

It floats and will propel itself with the tire rotation quite well. A bit scary as it tends to ride/float nose tilted forward without a load. The truck's tailgate is scallop in the middle and reinforced to take a large 50 HP outboard motor that was modified with a long foot extension like use on sailboats..... propeller was fully enclosed on a shroud and wire cage.

Of the seven prototype this one was the keast damaged and had been used for extensive photo shoot...... some top structure modifications done by the military was done to the rear of the cab..... very professionally done.... it provided extra ventilation for the hull engine compartment. On the pass, side the cargo tool box slung underneath had been damaged when backing up into a garage with the panel door open..... being aluminium it bent and was never fixed properly.... that container had rubber gaskets and fully water tight.

So from my failing memory.... 7 prototypes... one for sale in Cantley the best one at the time.... one at the P&S Kars museum... one was for sale on the West coast... Vancouver ??? one was for sale in the US on a Dodge power wagon forum...... one was alledgedly destroyed at LETTI by driving repeatedly fully loaded off a 3 foot drop..... they were looking for broken components.... apparently the aluminium hull eventually cracked catastrophically .....by then everything else had been shacken loose.... the others....???

IN the ealry 70 they were driving them between Ottawa and Montreal in two shifts trying to wear them down....... I have never seenone being towed back to the compound..... on the other hand when they were testing the little Western abortions it was common to see them being towed back from my rural area East of Ottawa...... drivers carried early bulky telephone for obvious reasons.

I wish I had the $$$$ to buy it. It was never in service but it was CANADIAN
The original cost was $5000 with a dump truck full of parts including extra narrow rims with 11x20 tires

Boob
Canada
Old 29-11-08, 18:10
carrier mech

LETE = Land Engineer Test Establishment.

I would give my right arm for one of these trucks. I will now attempt to open the link and see what the sticker shock is.
Old 29-11-08, 18:30

Default Neat truck

There was also one at the Chrysler parts plant in Mississauga. They did deliveries with it and I passed it occassionaly on the 401 near highway 10. Then when it turned off one day at Mississauga rd. I followed it south to the plant. A phone call revealed it was a working truck and not for sale.

Long ago.

Peter S
Old 29-11-08, 20:21
Mr. HUP

Default $20,500 obo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
LETE = Land Engineer Test Establishment.

I would give my right arm for one of these trucks. I will now attempt to open the link and see what the sticker shock is.
plus the cost of the divorce...
Old 30-11-08, 00:35

Default What divorce....

Just buy it an tell Marcia Grant got it......

...... and if you don't let us drive it...... we tell Marcia hihihi

Peter..... you are right it is awsome.... it also has a winch built in to the front....... we never got stuck with it..... very scary driving over the edge of a sand pit as the front axle is slightly behind the sitting arrangement.... you seem to hang in mid air until it tumbles forward.....

The 14x20 tires at 20 pounds have such a wide print in dry sand that it can drive over you lower leg with out more than a hard pressing feeling..... don't ask how I know.....

Will see if I can find pictures from the mid 70 up in the Joachim dam area ......

Boob

Canada
Old 30-11-08, 01:42
Centurion nut

Default The RAM truck

I just happened to have this photo of what was then known as the RAM truck from a 1970 edition of Sentinel magazine. This 5/4 ton vehicle was going to be the replacement for the Dodge 3/4 ton, and was included in the 1968 series of war establishments published by Mobile Command for the land forces. That's how sure the 'powers that be' were that it was going to be adopted as Standard A.

I never knew too much about it, just that it never materialized in any form. Five years later the more famous off-the-shelf 5/4 ton trucks appeared in lieu.

I would be interested in any details on it, or why it was eventually discontinued.

Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
RAM truck.jpg  
Old 30-11-08, 01:46

I believe there is one of these sitting outside of the museum at CFB Borden. I'll have a look this week and try to get a picture.
Old 30-11-08, 02:36
Mr. HUP

Default Sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Just buy it an tell Marcia Grant got it......Boob:
Just emailed the chap selling the prototype: "We will acccept any offer OVER 18,500$". Marcia might be suspicious with a large negative balance in the account, so can I blame that on Grant too?

If this beast sells for the asking price, I think we will have a record on our hands.
Old 30-11-08, 03:51

Rob, if you buy the Dodge either I'm going to have to hide from your wife seeking vengence, or you are going to have to buy her a monster bauble in the "jewels for trucks" tradeoff.
Or you could tell her that the payment is a research fee to find a rural property to store your buddies trucks, remember that you only own one metal mistress......
Or if you like living dangerously you could tell Marcia your human mistress was blackmailing you...
Old 30-11-08, 04:16

well, i guess it's my turn to chime in....first off, thank you bob for the information on this truck i have often wondered what the details of it were, and no one seemed to have any answers. attached are a few pics from the 7gb military vehicle database that lives on my computer. i can't remember where these came from, but the credit for them goes to those individuals.
Attached Images

Old 30-11-08, 04:25
Mr. HUP

Default Whoa! There big fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Rob, if you buy the Dodge either I'm going to have to hide from your wife seeking vengence, or you are going to have to buy her a monster bauble in the "jewels for trucks" tradeoff.
Or you could tell her that the payment is a research fee to find a rural property to store your buddies trucks, remember that you only own one metal mistress......
Or if you like living dangerously you could tell Marcia your human mistress was blackmailing you...
My Dad taught me to live with one mistress at a time...so I am stuck with the metal mistress till death do us part.

In any case, it is good to see some more info surfacing from this thread on the rare Chrysler prototype. I hope Mark H from the S&P Museum adds some commentary, since he owns one...
Old 30-11-08, 16:12
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
For the sake of completeness
Quote:
1969 Chrysler Military Truck-Utility-High Mobility 4x4 Prototype #3of6 - $20500 (Cantley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-920461474@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-15, 3:13PM EST

1969 Chrysler Military Truck-Utility-High Mobility 4x4 Prototype #3of6 RARE
Made by Chrysler Canada in Windsor Ontario.
Only 2 known to exist !
Runs, drives, stops, 9,174 original miles.
Vehicle is extremely solid, all Aluminum, removable cab top, able to swim in water, has bilge pumps, disc brakes, winch, 318 V8, 24 volt, includes Service Bulletins from Chrysler and documents from DoD Canada: maintenance, Service and Operators manuals. Curb Weight 6,352lbs. Dimensions:L180"xW89"xH95"
Located at Ottawa, Ontario Canada. asking:$20,500 OBO

1969 Chrysler camion militaire-Utility-haute mobilité 4x4 prototype # 3de6 RARE
Fabriqué par Chrysler Canada à Windsor en Ontario.
Seulement 2 sait qu'il existe!
Pistes, les lecteurs, les arrêts, 9174 milles d'origine
Le véhicule est extrêmement solide, tous Aluminum, cabine amovible haut, capable de nager dans l'eau, a pompes de cale, des freins à disque, treuil, 318 V8, système de 24 volts, notamment les bulletins de service de Chrysler et de documents DoD Canada: entretien, Les opérateurs de service et de manuels. Poids 6352 lbs. Dimensions: L180 "xW89" xH95 "
Situé à Ottawa, Ontario Canada demande: $ 20,500 OBO

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 920461474
Attached Images

Old 01-12-08, 01:27

Default Possible source of Mike's pictures....

First picture is from the P&S Kars museum....

The second one I beleive was an original DND released picture and an early one at that..... look how short the cab upper part is..... compare to the Cantley one.... DND had added some aluminium enclosure behind and attached to the cab to provide for some ventilation to the water tight hull...

The final picture..... that may be the missing seventh truck... looks like personal use...... just after comingout of the water........ everyone sitting in the far back section wasno doubt an attempt to level the truck when floating.... which tended to be nose heavy..... looks real good without the top.

By the way getting in was a bit of a climb.... that is why they had a step ring on the front wheel with some kind of screen expanded steel welded to it.

Thanks Mike.
Canada
Old 04-12-08, 08:43

Default Dodge Ram Prototype

Guys,
if you check out Issue 44 of Pat Ware's Classic Military Vehicle magazine (dated Jan 05). There is an article on page 9 about this vehicle and it was For Sale then.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 06-12-08, 03:50

Default Can we see it.....

...any chance to scan and post the article for us to read & see......

BooB
Canada
Old 12-12-08, 00:48
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeo.NT View Post
I believe there is one of these sitting outside of the museum at CFB Borden. I'll have a look this week and try to get a picture.
There was definately one of these at the CFB Borden Museum when all the softskins were inside the largish whitish building opposite Waterloo Mess, near the old Armoured lines. I have a photo of it, in situ.
Old 12-12-08, 04:50

Default If that is so.....

Hi Jon

That implies that all 7 prototype are vaguely accounted for.....

One in Cantley for sale
One in P&S
One in Borden
One was destroyed at LETI

One was for sale on the West coast...Vancouver...?...on EBay I think early 2000 ++ red and white....
One was for sale in the USA on the dodge power wagon forum
One is in private hands painted beige with out a top that Mike has a photograph somewhere...????

The last three are NOT fully documented.

Hopefully the Cantley one will go to a caring collector......

Bob
Canada
Old 13-12-08, 03:27

i think that beige one was forsale on the net four or five years ago, but i can't remember in what province, or what list it came from mike