MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-08-10, 03:28

Default My new CMP -Help

I’m totally stoked to get one of these, I was unsure at the time which one it was, and unfortunately the owner removed the tags then miss placed them (his brother is looking for them) are there any numbers on the chassis? but I was able to tell that it was a FAT (not sure if that is a Ford only expression and the Chevy was a CGT?) as you can see the back was cut off and somebody had installed a hydraulic leavers in it at one time. It still has the convoy lights as well; underneath the fenders and frame you can still find the green paint, not sure about the yellow though. I originally wanted a radio or a signal van, and I feel bad converting this into something else that what it was. I build hot rods and do a lot of fabrication, check out the other stuff we do at oddballkustoms.com, Does someone have plans for the FAT, Radio, or Signal bodies I was looking for a kick but shop truck and this came my way. The engine is junk I have no interest in rebuilding it and will probably go diesel (4BT) but the big question that I need to solve so I can plan accordingly is axle ratios…. Are others available? if so what’s the lowest. I really love the look of these axles and want to keep them, but I need to rip up the highway as well! Thanks for any and all help, I realize I’m asking a bunch of people who restore these things rather than Hot Rod them, but please have mercy on my wackiness –I promise it’ll be cool!

I'm located in Ontario just North of Ajax.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1579 (Small).JPG   IMG_1585 (Small).JPG  
Attached Images

Old 30-08-10, 15:27

Default Looks like you have rare find

Stony

Looks like you may have what all CMP collectors dream of finding a CGT Chevrolet Gun Tractor. Gear ratio information is easy to find in the manuals 7.16 to 1. But before you decided to convert your find into something else you might want to explore its value restored to original condition as a CGT. I think you may discover that it will have more value going that route particularly if you have the necessary talents to reproduce or acquire the rear body.

Concerning repowering the truck with a diesel this has been done many many times. Though you may find that keeping to the straight Chevy 6 maybe a practical approach, if you can find a Chevy 261 cu.in. 58-62 you will have the basis of a very powerful engine, stock the 261 puts out about twice the HP and Torque of the original engine, mild modifications will push the 261 much further.

The gearing of the truck and the 261 power band are a good match. I think you will find that 60 mph will be about the practical top speed for the 101 in wheel base no mater what engine or gearing above that speed the drive train will get very busy and unhappy. Also the short wheel base makes the truck exceedingly squirrelly I have a C60S with a 134 inch wheelbase basically the same truck but longer with the 261 engine and it will easily go faster than 60 but you don't want to be in it.

As to being rock crawlers or off road vehicles, CMPs are basically at home off road. Stock a CGT can climb a 64% grade fully loaded, so basically anything you can get traction on it will climb.

Cheers Phil

PS just looked through your web site looks like you have the talents to produce a copy of the original body, neat stuff.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 30-08-10 at 15:30. Reason: add a comment
Old 31-08-10, 01:27

Default My CMP

Hadn't thought about the 261, that's a good idea, I was worried about the lack of power, if I was able to find another set of gears, 60mph seems plenty fast, and I'm sure the short wheel base will mean no sleeping at the wheel, I have plans of driving this thing cross country. Did other trucks come with different gears? if I could drop a few RPM, rather than getting even bigger tires.

You're right, I really love the CGT FAT back, I wish I could find some plans, someone has them.... can't get enough information from the pictures I've seen

Thanks
Old 31-08-10, 01:32

Default some more pics

it only let me upload 5 pics in the first post, here are some others.

Where is the frame number, or was it only located on the data plate?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1589 (Small).JPG   IMG_1592 (Small).JPG   IMG_1595 (Small).JPG  
Attached Images

Old 31-08-10, 01:33

Default one more

one more shot, I forgot the front end
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1591 (Small).JPG  
Old 31-08-10, 03:11

Default Cgt

Stony

Congratulations, you have found a good one.

There are a lot of accessories present that are usually missing, R/H mirror, winch guard, original fuel tank and hangers, 2 seats, engine dog house cover, all 4 axle lifting flanges. Flanges are indicators it may have been overseas in WW2, but returned to Canada. Looks like a little bubba stuff as in rear cab and some p.t.o. gas axe damage but nothing drastic. Your front end is missing the channel bumper, bush bar, D rings and winch fair-lead.

As far as the engine goes Phil is right, go with the 261, available, parts are easy to find and its a bolt in!. Performance is good.

As far as rear body goes, its doable but will be challenging, suggest finding a sheet metal worker friend and be handy at welding. I was fortunate to have a lower body section to start from.

Rear bodies were made by 2 builders for the Cab 13 F.A.T. chassis. To date it, it's probably 1943-44 vintage, square roof hatch, wooden steering wheel. Late WW2 models had round hatches. If it has the original engine check S/N. There is a Chevy stovebolt web site that breaks down S/N build years.

Any information you need just email me. I too found one in 2003 and finished it over 5 years. It was well worth it, a crowd favorite at our shows.

Walde-Vancouver
Attached Thumbnails
cmp2009 002.jpg   P1010101.jpg   thanksgiving2009 029.jpg   grad2009 101.jpg  
Old 31-08-10, 04:33

Default Groovy

your 3rd pic is now my desk top picture, something to work towards. thanks for giving the pics an overview, since I'm new to the CMP's I wasn't really even sure what I had till I got it home and started digging. Great pics of the underneath of the rear section, I'll have no problems building the rear end -somebody out there must have some drawings. I'm going to hold out and start digging around for an engine.

The green that is underneath the fenders and frame section is really dark, are there any colour charts for these vehicles that I might be able to pick it out from?