MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-13, 02:16

Default Battery boxes for CMP radios and Canadian Jeeps

Hello friends from MLU,

I am currently working on a Canadian WW2 Radio Jeep.I had a hard time finding original battery boxes so i had a few samples made by a friend who is a woodworker.

We did'nt have the hardware so i improvised. Also i don't know about the finish so i left the wood bare for now.

What do you thinks ? Constructive comments welcome.

Anyone knows how to finish these boxes ? Colours, lacquer, linseed, varnish ?

Thanks.
Attached Images

94 LSVW
Old 07-12-13, 02:21

Default Battery boxes No 19 wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Hello friends from MLU,

I am currently working on a Canadian WW2 Radio Jeep.I had a hard time finding original battery boxes so i had a few samples made by a friend who is a woodworker.

We did'nt have the hardware so i improvised. Also i don't know about the finish so i left the wood bare for now.

What do you thinks ? Constructive comments welcome.

Anyone knows how to finish these boxes ? Colours, lacquer, linseed, varnish ?

Thanks.
Sorry i forgot to mention that it is for a No 19 wireless
Attached Images

94 LSVW
Old 07-12-13, 02:23

Default No 19 wireless battery box

Quote:
Sorry i forgot to mention that it is for a No 19 wireless
Third pick up close.

Sorry i am not familiar yet with posting pictures.
Attached Images

94 LSVW
Old 07-12-13, 03:31

Default Nice job......

Would love to see some larger and higher resolution pics of the boxes.

....and in particular the hardware.... I understand the handles are still a stock item ......

I have a jig at home for doing dovetails but butter box finger joints are even easier as long as you have a good sharp router bit. Did you use pine or wide planks of tulip wood (North Carolina poplar)

In previous emails there is mention of the boxes being "wax finished" .... I wonder if someone can offer more information.... are we talking parafine wax of real bees wax...??? simply desolved in hot naphta and painted on in multi coats and let air dry....

Just be careful how you heat up the naphta....... method of choice is outside....really outside not hear the open door of the house garage.....using a deep fryer purchased cheap at a flea market and using it as a water bath NO OPEN FLAME...... remember water boils at 212 funny degrees naphta at much less than that..... would need to look it up.

Carbon teth will also disolve wax but is now nearly impossible to find.

There are a number of other wax that could be added to make the finish harder and most of them available from Lee Valley..... Carnuba wax flakes are an example..... will blend with other waxes easily under some heat.....

Your success may encourage others to make their own. I know I will look into making a few for my own 19 set...... hides a modern 12 v. battery beautifully.

The top hinges are probably the most work/time intensive...... did you stencil the lettering or burn it into the wood...?

Bob C.

PS...... the wood could be darkened and aged using a weak diluted solution of black walnut shell husk mixed in isopropyl alcool....... can actually make pine look like walnut...... there is another chemical potassium permangamate (spelling ????) a purple crystal..... used for giving a maple musket/rifle stock a nice dark finish and if you over do it pickling vinegar will lighten the color...... obviously will need to search the web for more precise information. Caution it will stain your skin for weeks...!!!
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 07-12-13 at 03:37.
Old 07-12-13, 14:16

Default No 19 wireless Battery boxes

Thanks Bob,

I will work on better resolution and larger pictures Bob . It is a work in progess. The hardware i bought from the hardware store .I will keep an eye on flee markets and antique shops for old hardware . In the meantime i have close enough to original battery boxes .

What about the finish ? Any other want to jump in ? I am not about to heat naphta . I have seen to many exploded houses in my part of the world . ..

Anyone with an easy answer on the finish of these boxes ?

Best wishes for X-Mas.

Robert
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 18-12-13 at 00:06. Reason: security
Old 07-12-13, 14:19

Default Battery boxes

Quote:
Thanks Bob,

I will work on better resolution and larger pictures Bob . It is a work in progess. The hardware i bought from the hardware store .I will keep an eye on flee markets and antique shops for old hardware . In the meantime i have close enough to original battery boxes .

What about the finish ? Any other want to jump in ? I am not about to heat naphta . I have seen to many exploded houses in my part of the world . You see naphta is used in the process of refining certain illegal ingredients. .. Part of my job is defining the legal mandate and rules governing overflight of these labs by certain aircraft with certain equipment on board need i say more....

Anyone with an easy answer on the finish of these boxes ?

Best wishes for X-Mas.

Robert
Bob i forgot to add , the lettering is done by pressing a hard metal tip into the wood to form the letters and then filling in with black paint.Burning would of involved making a branding iron like the one used out west to brand cattle and horses.
94 LSVW