MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 06-06-06, 18:49
Senior Forum Member

Question Tuesday, 6 June 1944 and 25,000 Canadians

It is now approx. 12:21 PM here in London. I've had the radio on since early this morning (zero-dark-thirty) and all I've heard about is the court house in Brampton and this 'Terrorist Cell' and bail hearings.......

If memory serves me correctly, it was 62 years ago this AM that approx. 25,000 Canadians were involved in the largest seaborne assault of a fortified coast in history which eventually lead to the liberation of Europe from under the control of Nazi Germany and that by the end of this day 62 years ago many a young Canadian had lost their lives with many more to fellow before war's end.

But so far today, all I've heard about is these 'yahoos' in a Brampton court house ........

Whatever happened to 'Lest We Forget' .........

Has the son of one of those who stormed ashore this day 62 years ago and as a retired serviceman myself, I like my Father remember..........

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

...... piss poor when the Canadian media over looks this and turns all their attention to a court house in Brampton..........
Old 06-06-06, 18:58
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Tuesday, 6 June 1944 and 25,000 Canadians

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

...... piss poor when the Canadian media over looks this and turns all their attention to a court house in Brampton..........
Hear, hear, my friend. LEST WE FORGET.

Others will not remember, so it is OUR burden. We shall not fail them who preceeded us.
Old 06-06-06, 19:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Tuesday, 6 June 1944 and 25,000 Canadians

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball

Others will not remember, so it is OUR burden. We shall not fail them who preceeded us.
Roger..that...
Mark..
This is my wife's relation,I believe a Great Uncle,Padre Mike Dalton...
I believe he was the most decorated RC padre during WW2..I read that some where but don't know for sure..I think Padre Foote got the VC,but he may have been one of them Ang-lick-cainians.....
I think he is still alive and kicking...If you get time ,check it out...if you find him you will get lots to talk about....

This is from the London times back in ought four....

Quote:
D-Day chaplain turns 102

By TEVIAH MORO -- London Free Press

LONDON, Ont, -- A priest who delivered one of the last masses for Canadian soldiers before the D-Day invasion turned 102 yesterday, weeks before the battle's 60th anniversary. Rev. Michael Dalton is now confined to a wheelchair, but once he had to dodge bullets to deliver soldiers their last rites in battle.

Residents at the Caressant Care home for the aged in Courtland, near Tillsonburg, sang Happy Birthday to the decorated war chaplain yesterday at lunch.

Dalton had to tend to the emotional toll of a failed Canadian assault on Europe two years before D-Day, when Canadians were repulsed from the German-held beaches at Dieppe, France.

"Hundreds of them died," Dalton said of the casualties at Dieppe in 1942, where 907 soldiers died and 1,874 were taken prisoner.

His job was to write home to soldiers' families, notifying them of their deaths, Dalton said.

Born May 5, 1902, near Goderich, Dalton entered St. Peter's Seminary in London and was ordained a priest in 1932.

He was nearly 40 years old when he volunteered to go to war with the Essex Scottish Regiment in 1939. He returned home in 1946 and served as a pastor in Southwestern Ontario until his retirement in 1970.

An old photograph outside his room shows Dalton as a tall and handsome padre, delivering his last mass before the D-Day troops hit Juno beach on June 6, 1944.

Though he didn't accompany soldiers in the landings, he had many close calls on battlefields.

"The only weapon he ever carried was a crucifix," said caretaker and friend Michael Murray.

The brave chaplain was hit three times by shrapnel during his time overseas, twice while travelling in a jeep, Murray said.

Once near Caen, France, his jeep driver saved his life by taking the vehicle in for repairs, Dalton wrote in a meticulous diary he kept during the war.

Dalton had to sleep underground instead of in the jeep that night. Overnight, the enemy struck and obliterated the area.

"In the morning, I crawled out of (the) trench to find my hat pierced with shrapnel," he wrote.

Asked the secret to his longevity, his eyes twinkled. "God only knows," he said.

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 07-01-09 at 15:47.
Old 06-06-06, 19:21
Vets Dottir

Thank you Mark, for doing this thread to bring this particular MAJOR Remembrance Day to the fore.

I'm wearing the T-Shirt Geoff brought me from Normandy (it really was THE best gift you could have brought me Geoff!) ... the D-Day 60th anniversary one, with a Poppy. I've been wearing it out lately and I get people reading and looking. Good ... "Remember"!
Today I've an appoinment at the hospital and am wearing it again ... hoping many are inspired to "Remember" by the T-Shirt, in case it's just been another day, so far, for them.

The Poppy I found in a flower bed earlier this spring when I saw a bit of red peeking out of the snow ... I rescued it

LEST WE FORGET

Karmen.
Old 06-06-06, 19:26
Vets Dottir

Wonderful biography about Padre Mike Dalton, on Alex. You must be just so proud. What an amzing and important part he did for everyone. Thanks for this story.

Karmen.
Old 06-06-06, 19:42

Default Re: Re: Tuesday, 6 June 1944 and 25,000 Canadians

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball

While at least one of us draws breathe, that knows or remembers those galliant actions, we should strive to live day by day, in the manner in which those whom paid the ultimate price, would wish for us in their place.

Tell your Sons, teach them to tell their Sons.

We should never forget the lessons learned although we may forget the names and faces. Long they must live, for that is the price.

WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM: LEST WE FORGET.
Attached Thumbnails
rememberance poppies.jpg  
Old 06-06-06, 20:03
David Gordon

Even the History Channel only ran something related to D-Day at noon central time on one of their Modern Marvels segments. The rest of the line-up is Biblical stuff about Hell and the Devil.

Really sad since the mass media and TV is where most of the public get their information and they might be reminded that something significant which affected everyone's lives, both then and now, occured today.

Hope the events in France go smoothly for the remaining vets that are able to make the crossing once again.
Old 06-06-06, 20:13
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by horsa
The rest of the line-up is Biblical stuff about Hell and the Devil.

.... yes David, that is the other item I've heard on the radio all bloody morning, today is the sixth day of the sixth month of the sixth year or '666'.....

I guess 'yahoos' in courtrooms and '666' are what today's media is focused on and nothing else......
Old 06-06-06, 20:15
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

The last line in the movie IKE, starring Tom Selleck (probably the best performance of his career), states "We may never see their like again".

This may well be true, although this current generation of young men and women may prove this wrong. Regardless, I salute them all. I look at the old fellows now on parade every November, and stooped though they might be now, I see the young men of my father's generation. Truly, 'we may never see their like again'.

I hope we do, though. What most do not understand is that our civilization cannot survive without them.

Old 06-06-06, 21:16

Default Terry Kelly...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
.... yes David, that is the other item I've heard on the radio all bloody morning, today is the sixth day of the sixth month of the sixth year or '666'.....

I guess 'yahoos' in courtrooms and '666' are what today's media is focused on and nothing else......
Mark...
When I listen to this and think of the scum that is in the country now ,it makes me want to weep.....

http://www.legion.ca/asp/music/PittanceOfTime_E.MP3
Old 06-06-06, 23:10
Vets Dottir

Well, Alex, that one certainly got me doing a good cry. Thanks for bringing up that song ... I'd like to hear it sung on street corners ... especially on Anniversary dates like today, all over towns and cities.

Back from the hospital ... many people looked at and read my T-Shirt - the red Poppy drew their eyes to the words - and triggered "Remembrance" for some, and "Huh? Wonder what that's all about?" in younger others.

Yes, June 6th is MAJOR.

Karmen
Old 07-06-06, 02:51

Default Don Cherry

You either love him or hate him, but last night in the stanley Cup playoff Don paid tribute to the D Day vets. Good on you Don.
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 07-06-06, 03:05
RIP

For Alex,
DALTON, Michael Joseph, Honorary Captain (Acting Honorary Major) - Member, Order of the British Empire - Canadian Chaplain Services - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 2 June 1943 and CARO/3494 of that date.

Honorary Captain M.J. Dalton was attached to the Essex Scottish Regiment as from 14 December 1939 and in May 1940 was posted to Headquarters 4 Brigade and has been with these formations since this date. At all times he has taken an active part in the various activities - training, athletics, recreation, etc., and his zeal and example have been valuable contributing factors toward creating a high standard of morale. This was particularly noticeable after Dieppe. At this time he personally undertook to write to all of the next-of-kin of those of the Essex Scottish Regiment who were wounded, killed, missing or prisoners of war. From reports received I should consider him an outstanding chaplain.
Old 07-06-06, 04:27
Senior Forum Member

Default For Alex

Hi Alex;

I see Clive beat me to the military side of your wife's uncle

(I slipped away for a couple of hours to see my Grand-daughter)

...anyways, here is the other side:

The Dalton Pastoral Era 1946-1953

Major Reverend Michael Joseph Dalton, padre of the Essex Scottish Regiment became the pastor of Most Precious Blood Parish in September 1946. This was a time of transition when men and women had to learn from the hardship of the Depression and the horror of World War 11 to build for the future, Father Dalton brought much experience, untiring energy and firm leadership to this mission at Most Precious Blood Parish. Immediately, he began construction of a new rectory and basement church on the site of the southwest corner of Meldrum and Tecumseh Roads. In August 1947, His Excellency Bishop Kidd offered the first Mass in the new basement church. The rapidly growing parish was adequately accommodated for the time being. During the first Mass, Father Dalton told his flock that he had Laboured and sweated to make sacrificial offerings Sunday after Sunday, day after day and that hundreds have given God reasonable service to make his dream come true.

Father Dalton stressed church attendance, family worship, the parish as a community, and devotion to Mary. Father Dalton aced on problems and expected his flock to work with him to find answers. He emphasized the need for unity to build the Church in Christ.

Father Dalton acted to strengthen the Christian community. He reinstated the Altar Society, the Usher's Club, and the Catholic Women's League, and formed the Boy Scouts and the Legion of Mary. He advocated the rosary prayer and was responsible in inviting Father Patrick Peyton, the famous rosary priest to come to Most Precious Blood Parish to conduct a rosary crusade. Visiting parish families occupied much of his time. Mission and retreats also took priority He considered missions to be important and used loudspeakers on the streets, to announce missions and volunteers mailed mission notes to parishioners. In 1951, he invited the people to pray for world peace as part of Bishop Cody's Holy Year Mission Crusade of Prayer and Sacrifice.

Devotion to Mary characterized Father Dalton's era. The Legion of Mary improved conditions for the prayer to the Virgin and for worship at Most Precious Blood Parish.

Because of expansion during the post-war years, Most Precious Blood Parish required full-time assistant pastors. Father Herman Reardon was the fist and greatly helped Father Dalton. For such a busy man as Father Reardon life was not easy. While assisting at Most Precious Blood, he also had the responsibility of organizing and administering to the mission parish of Our Lady of Lourdes in Comber from 1947 to 1951.

By 1951, the family at Most Precious Blood had grown so large that it became necessary to sever part of a large section in Sandwich East to create a new parish. St Christopher's was founded and Father V.C.Cote became its first pastor. The following priests also served during Father Dalton's pastoral era: Fathers U.A. Lefaive; V.C.Cote; J.F.Lynch; L.F. Bastien; J.H. Moss; F.M. Bezaire; P.V. Drouillard.

The parish was expanding and it needed the new church. Father Dalton was instrumental in raising funds and he encouraged bingo games and bazaars. Still, according to Father Dalton, the Sunday envelope is still the highest source of revenue on the average, with all due respect to the Usher's year-round bingos. When he initiated one collection., the honour system, instead of the dime collection at the door the whole diocese followed suit. Father Dalton offered $500, half the asking price, for the lots for the church, and his offer was accepted. Some donations came from beyond the parish, until the 20th Century Church Builders had collected $75,000.00 by 1953, the last year that Father Dalton was at Most Precious Blood Parish. This was another community effort that was worthy of the Father White and Father Donnellan years, an effort that is an example for all of us.

Cheers Alex and Thank you Clive for posting the military side.
Old 07-06-06, 06:46
Vets Dottir

The Padre Dalton was an amazing man by all of the things I've read here. I wish we had more of his like in the world.

I spotted VERY little on TV news regards D-Day Anniversary and Remembrance. I feel pretty sad about that and wish people had done more ... todays news is not going away, but our Vets who were there are. I wish there had been more coverage about D-Day and what it all was about and why it was important.

I watched some of some programs on History channel tonight ... one about Omaha landings, and one about Juno Beach landings with Vets talking about things they remembered. I always find these programs extremely powerful, especially with the memories and the old footage of storming the beaches and combat ... and I always feel like I'm being invasive of them to see the interviewed Vets filmed in their moments when they have spontaneous waves of grief, such a deeply personal and private raw thing

I was looking at the barricades on Juno beach and wondering if there were also mines planted all over between them as well (as I figure they probably were)? I forget if thats been mentioned about Juno landings already (sorry)

Karmen.
Old 25-10-07, 15:52

Default Father Mike Daltons War Diary.

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
For Alex,
DALTON, Michael Joseph, Honorary Captain (Acting Honorary Major) - Member, Order of the British Empire - Canadian Chaplain Services - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 2 June 1943 and CARO/3494 of that date.

Honorary Captain M.J. Dalton was attached to the Essex Scottish Regiment as from 14 December 1939 and in May 1940 was posted to Headquarters 4 Brigade and has been with these formations since this date. At all times he has taken an active part in the various activities - training, athletics, recreation, etc., and his zeal and example have been valuable contributing factors toward creating a high standard of morale. This was particularly noticeable after Dieppe. At this time he personally undertook to write to all of the next-of-kin of those of the Essex Scottish Regiment who were wounded, killed, missing or prisoners of war. From reports received I should consider him an outstanding chaplain.

Just an up Date...
This summer my wife and I stopped in to see father Mike and he had just finished celebrating his 105th Birthday..He is alive and well but slowed down considerabley ,..
We got there before lunch and he was snoozing in his chair..fully dressed in his civilian padre gear..
I held his hand and talked to him for a while and he acknowleged me and dozed off again..
I was touching a living part of Canadian military history...
I didn't want to let go but we were on our way to Chicago..I took some pictures but they are personal family only pictures and I won't post them on the internet.
I also have a copy of his war diary..and was amazed to find that he was supposed to be on the Dieppe raid with the Essex Scottish ,but was called away ,with all the rest of the padres from the various regiments to a meeting by the head padre that night the regiments left for Dieppe ..The raid was so secret that they were not even notified of the troop leaving and they left with out him..
As a result he was the only officer from the Essex Regiment that was not killed ,wounded or captured the next day and so survived the raid..
It bothered him the rest of his life and probably still bothers him today..
His diary covers '39-'46....Facinating..

Old 25-10-07, 16:21

Default Juno Beach DVD...

Quote:
Originally posted by horsa
Even the History Channel only ran something related to D-Day at noon central time on one of their Modern Marvels segments. The rest of the line-up is Biblical stuff about Hell and the Devil.

Really sad since the mass media and TV is where most of the public get their information and they might be reminded that something significant which affected everyone's lives, both then and now, occured today.

Hope the events in France go smoothly for the remaining vets that are able to make the crossing once again.
Here is a DVD that should be in every classroom..

Wal-Mart Canada begins $1 million, five-year campaign in support of Canada's World War II heroes and Juno Beach Centre
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 25 /CNW/ - Wal-Mart Canada stores from
coast-to-coast will begin a five-year fundraising campaign next month in
support of Canada's war heroes and veterans, for one of the world's premier
World War II educational museums - the Juno Beach Centre in Normandy, France.
The fundraising drive will run from November 1-12, covering Remembrance
Day on November 11, and will add to the nearly $7 million Wal-Mart Canada has
raised and contributed in funding and marketing support for the Juno Beach
Centre since 2003. The Juno Beach Centre presents the war effort made by all
Canadians, civilians and military alike, both at home and on various fronts
during World War II.
As the charter corporate sponsor of the Juno Beach Centre, Wal-Mart
Canada is honoured to have been part of the Juno Beach Centre from the
beginning. "The Canadians who served during World War II played a vital role
in ensuring the freedoms that we enjoy in this country today, so Wal-Mart
Canada is so proud to raise funds for this important historical centre," said
Randy Gerrie, Wal-Mart Canada regional vice-president and Juno Beach Centre
board member. "This funding will preserve these memories and lessons for
generations to come."
The money raised by Wal-Mart Canada and its customers this November and
over the next five years will be used to directly fund two exhibit rooms at
the Juno Beach Centre - the Canada Today Room, which showcases the diversity
of our country in the new millennium, and a temporary exhibit room which
houses a variety of ever-changing displays.
"With Remembrance Day fast approaching, this is a time of year when many
Canadians want to do anything they can to both honour our veterans and
military heroes and help to preserve our history," said Garth Webb, a D-Day
veteran and the current president of the Juno Beach Centre. "The Juno Beach
Centre was built with support from Wal-Mart Canada and its customers and they
continue to provide vital funding to this day."

About the Juno Beach Centre

The Juno Beach Centre is a museum and education centre which opened at
Courseulles-sur-Mer, France on June 6, 2003. The Juno Beach Centre has been
established in Canada as a non-profit organization. The Juno Beach landing
site has been designated by the Minister of Canadian Heritage as a site of
national historic significance to Canada.

About Wal-Mart Canada

Founded in 1994 and based in Mississauga, Ontario, Wal-Mart Canada serves
more than one million Canadians each day at its 270 discount stores, 17
Supercentres and six SAM'S CLUB operations. With more than 70,000 associates,
the company is one of Canada's largest employers and has consistently been
listed among The 50 Best Companies to Work for in Canada, as published in
Report on Business Magazine. Wal-Mart Canada operates one of the strongest
community involvement programs in Canada. Through its 2006 "Good Works"
activities, the company raised and donated more than $15 million to causes
nationwide, nearly $300,000 weekly. In recent years, more than 100 Canadian
communities have lobbied or petitioned Wal-Mart to build a store locally.
Wal-Mart Canada has committed to three long-term sustainability goals: 1.
Produce zero waste; 2. Use 100 per cent renewable energy; 3. Make
environmentally preferable products available to Canadians.

For further information: Garth Webb, President, Juno Beach Centre,
1-877-828-JUNO (5866); Felicia Fefer, Wal-Mart Canada, (905) 821-2111, ext.

Old 07-01-09, 15:26

Default Up Date to an up date...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Just an up Date...
This summer my wife and I stopped in to see father Mike and he had just finished celebrating his 105th Birthday..He is alive and well but slowed down considerabley ,..
We got there before lunch and he was snoozing in his chair..fully dressed in his civilian padre gear..
I held his hand and talked to him for a while and he acknowleged me and dozed off again..
I was touching a living part of Canadian military history...
I didn't want to let go but we were on our way to Chicago..I took some pictures but they are personal family only pictures and I won't post them on the internet.
I also have a copy of his war diary..and was amazed to find that he was supposed to be on the Dieppe raid with the Essex Scottish ,but was called away ,with all the rest of the padres from the various regiments to a meeting by the head padre that night the regiments left for Dieppe ..The raid was so secret that they were not even notified of the troop leaving and they left with out him..
As a result he was the only officer from the Essex Regiment that was not killed ,wounded or captured the next day and so survived the raid..
It bothered him the rest of his life and probably still bothers him today..
His diary covers '39-'46....Facinating..

Well Captain Mike Dalton is still alive and 108 years old...Amazing ..
Here is a piece from the Windsor Star..
We are certainly proud of Uncle Mike and many blessings to him and all the other veterans,old and new that fight and fought for our freedom..
Lest we forget...

Quote:
An 'easy' promise that was hard to keep
Marty Gervais, Windsor Star
Published: Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Eight years ago, I promised an old priest that if he reached the age of 100, I'd write about his birthday every year till he died.

It was an easy promise to make since the odds were clearly stacked in my favour.

I was wrong.

This guy keeps living and I am reminded everywhere I go that I broke that promise in 2008. I didn't write about him. I let it slip.

I'm talking about the spirited Rev. Mike Dalton. He will be 108 in May. I'm writing about him now because, who knows, I may not live that long. Not that I have any reason to think that, of course.

The guy is slowing down. From recent correspondence from friends, he has a hard time eating or talking. But at Christmas he sent out holiday wishes to the troops overseas.

I miss this old soldier's bizarre letters. I don't know of anyone in this country who could have faith in the post office like this old priest, who would scribble my name on the front of an envelope and include only the name of the city. Somehow it made it to me. No street address. Simply: Marty Gervais, Windsor, Ont. On occasion, these letters would arrive with my picture reproduced from this column.

And what did he send me? Clippings cut out of newspapers or magazines. Bits of his memoir, jokes, inspirational quotes, and always with a "God bless you!"

Why would he care? Why would he send these to me? I soon learned I wasn't the sole recipient of these letters. He dispatched these to people all over the world. He'd spend his days with a pair of scissors and a stack of envelopes and sit there in a nursing home near Tillsonburg and put in a good day's work letting the world know he cared.

I'd sit at my desk and wonder about this legendary Second World War padre, who was there on D-Day riding at the fringes of battles.

I guess that's the problem of age. After a while people forget what you accomplished. Friends and family die and people forget or aren't aware. I bet you there's not a kid in elementary school, high school, or for that matter at any university in Southwestern Ontario, who knows this priest was a hero.

To visitors who might stumble into Rev. Dalton's nursing home room by mistake, he's just an old man with a twinkle in his eye. They might wonder about the Second World War uniform. They might think he's hanging on to some precious memory and might be pining for a beer with his buddies at the legion.

But what they don't know here is a man who sat in his jeep in wartorn France and listened patiently to the laboured, disturbed confessions of terrified soldiers in the heat of battle. Here is a man who walked down a dangerous road with these men on the way to a battle to help ease the woes, lift the spirits and assure them of God's grace. Here was a man who trudged through mud-soaked fields at dusk to bring communion to his fellow soldiers.

In the war files at this newspaper, there are photos of Rev. Dalton saying mass on the hood of his jeep. He told me once he could be so lost in the service itself that when he turned around to face the hundreds of gathered soldiers, there'd be no one there.

"Suddenly I was all alone," he said. "The soldiers had all jumped for cover and shrapnel was flying everywhere."

And for Rev. Dalton's troubles, he received the Military Cross for bravery.

Somehow that's not enough, is it? People forget. I, for one, forgot his birthday.

martygervais@gmail.com

© The Windsor Star 2009

MLU Link on Fr Mike..

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...806#post107806

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 07-01-09 at 15:50. Reason: Additional info..
Old 07-04-09, 23:57

Default Padre Mike Dalton..

Quote:
Well Captain Mike Dalton is still alive and 108 years old...Amazing ..
Here is a piece from the Windsor Star..
We are certainly proud of Uncle Mike and many blessings to him and all the other veterans,old and new that fight and fought for our freedom..
Lest we forget...

MLU Link on Fr Mike..

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...806#post107806

We lost another true hero...Padre Mike Dalton has passed on...
RIP soldier,..

Passes Away
Posted by Adam Liefl

Decorated for his bravery during the Second World War, Ontario's oldest Roman Catholic priest has died at age of 106 in a Courtland seniors home.
The Diocese of London says Reverend Michael Dalton may have been the oldest Catholic priest in Canada.
Born on May 5th, 1902 near Goderich, Dalton was one of 10 children, and he was ordained as a priest in 1932.
Dalton retired in 1970 and lived at a retirement home in Courtland until his death.

Old 08-04-09, 00:22

Default Father Mike Dalton

Quote:
We lost another true hero...Padre Mike Dalton has passed on...
RIP soldier,..

Passes Away
Posted by Adam Liefl

Decorated for his bravery during the Second World War, Ontario's oldest Roman Catholic priest has died at age of 106 in a Courtland seniors home.
The Diocese of London says Reverend Michael Dalton may have been the oldest Catholic priest in Canada.
Born on May 5th, 1902 near Goderich, Dalton was one of 10 children, and he was ordained as a priest in 1932.
Dalton retired in 1970 and lived at a retirement home in Courtland until his death.

Just another write up on Padre Mikes passing..
We are proud to be part of the Dalton Clan and saw Father Mike last year on a visit to his retirement home on our way through to Windsor..
A true hero and the most highly decorated 2 nd World War Canadian padre.

Quote:
Ontario’s oldest Catholic priest dies
Father Michael Dalton, 106, was Courtland resident
Posted By John Miner SUN MEDIA
Posted 19 hours ago

Decorated for his bravery during the Second World War, Ontario's oldest Roman Catholic priest died Monday at 106.

Rev. Michael J. Dalton may have been the oldest Catholic priest in Canada, the Diocese of London said.

In a 2004 interview with The London Free Press, Dalton was asked the secret to his longevity. "God only knows," he replied with a twinkle in his eyes.

Born May 5, 1902 near Goderich, Dalton was one of 10 children. He was ordained as a priest on May 21, 1932.

In 1939 he became a chaplain with the Essex Scottish Regiment and served with them in England, France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. ??

The Essex Scottish was part of the ill-fated Dieppe raid, suffering extreme casualties. Of the 558 soldiers from the regiment who hit the beach only 44 returned.

While Dalton wasn't part of the landing, he had the job of writing to soldiers' families, notifying them of their deaths.

The Diocese of London archives has a photo of Father Dalton offering Mass on the hood of a jeep two days before the D-Day invasion.

Three times during his overseas service Dalton was hit by shrapnel, twice while travelling in a jeep.

Dalton received the Military Cross for his bravery and service and was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire by King George VI in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in 1943. He was the first Catholic priest to receive the recognition.

His parish assignments in Ontario have included Holy Name of Mary, Windsor, St. Alphonsus, Windsor, Most Precious Blood, Windsor, St. John the Evangelist, Woodslee and St. John de Brebeuf and Companions, Kingsville.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

In 1967, Dalton was named Veteran of the Year and Citizen of the Year by the City of Windsor. In 2001, the City of London created Father Dalton Drive in honour of his war service.

Dalton retired in 1970, but continued to serve as chaplain to the Sacred Heart Sisters in Courtland. He lived at a retirement home in Courtland until his death.

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 08-04-09 at 00:23. Reason: speling
Old 08-04-09, 01:33

We are lucky for the service of such men and ladies.

There are people in this world who stand above us all, dedicated sincere people, to whom service and duty sit right at the top of their priorities.

We are so fortunate to have them in our midst, and there fortunately there always seems to be someone who stands up to take there place, when their end on this earth comes.

I can see God up there looking down on the good Padre, and thinking his job is nearly done, but I will not take him today, there maybe is someone, a child, a widow, or someone alone, who needs his counsel just one more time.

And then the ends comes, and he calls down to the motor pool, get that jeep out and serviced, the Padre is coming and we have much work for him to do.

Thank goodness for such people and their service.

May God bless you all

Col
Old 10-04-09, 23:28

Default Capt.Mike Dalton..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Tigwell View Post
We are lucky for the service of such men and ladies.

There are people in this world who stand above us all, dedicated sincere people, to whom service and duty sit right at the top of their priorities.

We are so fortunate to have them in our midst, and there fortunately there always seems to be someone who stands up to take there place, when their end on this earth comes.

I can see God up there looking down on the good Padre, and thinking his job is nearly done, but I will not take him today, there maybe is someone, a child, a widow, or someone alone, who needs his counsel just one more time.

And then the ends comes, and he calls down to the motor pool, get that jeep out and serviced, the Padre is coming and we have much work for him to do.

Thank goodness for such people and their service.

May God bless you all

Col
Here is another bit on Captain Mike Dalton..

Priest a wartime legend

By Marty Gervais, Windsor StarApril 7, 2009

Rev. Mike Dalton celebrates mass with Canadian troops in Europe during the Second World War. Dalton, who died Monday at 106, used his army Jeep as an altar.

Rev. Mike Dalton celebrates mass with Canadian troops in Europe during the Second World War. Dalton, who died Monday at 106, used his army Jeep as an altar.
Photograph by: File photo, The Windsor Star

He was a soldier to the end. His threadbare army tunic hung on the wall, and his room was filled with religious icons, rosaries and holy pictures.

And when you spoke to him, his words were about the men he knew on the battlefields of France when he rigged up a makeshift altar on the hood of his jeep and said mass for them.

The photos from the Second World War show these anxious men kneeling, their heads bowed, silent in the muddy fields just hours before they were sent into battle.

And when age finally wore him down -- long after the war and years of serving parishes all over the London diocese including Windsor, Woodslee and Kingsville -- this old priest told me it wouldn't stop him from saying mass in his bed at the nursing home.

It would never stop him from being a priest. And there was no way he would ever lose his faith in his religion or people.

I'm speaking about an old friend, Rev. Mike Dalton, who passed away Monday afternoon at Sacred Heart Nursing Home in Courtland, Ont. He was 106, a month shy of his 107th birthday.

This son of a Goderich farmer is the most decorated padre who ever served in the Canadian Army. He marched at the front lines with his fellow soldiers, often carrying their weapons when they tired of battle.

Besides the Military Cross for bravery, Father Dalton was the first Catholic priest to receive the Member of the British Empire. The day King George VI pinned the decoration on his tunic at Buckingham Palace, he dug deep into his pockets and handed the monarch a Catholic religious medal.

When I met Father Dalton in the mid-1990s, this legendary padre with the Essex Scottish, who landed at Normandy in 1944, complained of sitting in a wheelchair. His legs had given out on him. He prayed for God to give him back his strength, so he could stand up again and say mass.

TWINKLE IN HIS EYES

Deep down, he knew better. He told me so.

The day I met him, Father Dalton wore the Roman collar, and had a twinkle in those slate-grey eyes and a wit and a humour that bubbled out in the stories he spun for me. He loved to talk. He loved people. He loved life. He loved God. He loved being a soldier. He loved being a priest.

If there was anything he didn't like, it was losing those fathers and sons to war. He had sensed their inner fears. It didn't matter if the orders were to stay clear of the front lines -- he listened instead to his own heart, and drove his jeep to the brink of battle. And he would sit there in the open jeep -- its windshield festooned with flowers -- and hear the laboured, disturbed confessions of terrified soldiers.

Or sometimes he would join a soldier on a road to a battle and try to ease their woes and lift their spirits.

Somehow Father Dalton believed he was invincible. He said he feared nothing. He figured he had a purpose, a reason to be. He felt lucky. He felt destined and blessed for some higher purpose. How else, he asked, do you explain how twice his truck was hit with shrapnel, and men died all around him?

"I didn't have a scratch. I couldn't even get a cold," he said.

And sometimes he was so lost in the reverie of saying mass on the hood of his jeep that he would suddenly turn to give a blessing, "and there was no one there ... I was all alone. The soldiers had jumped for cover, and shrapnel was flying everywhere. I hadn't heard a thing."

Rev. Matthew George, a longtime friend of Father Dalton, in hearing of his death, said the biggest regret of this priest's life was discovering too late the botched Dieppe invasion. "He had been at a chaplain's meeting and when he found out, he wanted to be put ashore, but they wouldn't let him.

"He cared about those men -- and never forgot them," said George.

It reminded me of what Dalton told me years ago when I asked why he joined the army. He said that when he served at St. Alphonsus in downtown Windsor, he realized those same kids who had made their First Communion in that church were now running off to war.

"I had to go with them," he said.

Now with his passing, I'm speculating the old padre is catching up to them, once again.

martygervais@gmail.com
© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

* E-mail this Article
* Print this Article
* Share this Article

Image:

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Photograph by: File photo, The Windsor Star