MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 13-01-04, 10:04

Default Conger in Overloon, The Netherlands

Hi Guys,

It might be interesting for you to know, that I have just posted a (bad) picture of a Conger in the Armour forum. The picture is in the discussion about the "Ram Kangaroo in Mill, the Netherlands"

Alex van de Wetering, The Netherlands
Old 13-01-04, 23:57
British Indian Army

Default Congor

Alex let me know what if any information you require about the congor. I have plans etc of the vehicle and even the drill used when operating it.

By the way the carrier you say is the Congor one was originally built in 1941 as a 3" Mortar Carrier so was subsequently adapted to its new role!

Nigel
Old 14-01-04, 15:45

Default Conger

I just found this text:

"Mine-Clearing Line Charge. A British-made, rocket-deployed, flexible line charge called the "Conger" was developed to overcome the shortcomings of the Snake. The Conger was the first modern mine-clearing line charge. Consisting of 330 yards of specially woven 2-inch diameter flexible hose, it was launched across a minefield by a 5-inch rocket. After the hose was deployed, it was filled with 2,500 pounds of a nitroglycerine-based liquid explosive known as 822C. Because it was so dangerous, the Conger was used in combat only once by the British 79th Armored Division during the battle for Calais on 25 September 1944.43 Modern mine-clearing line charges like the U.S. M58 MICLIC and the British Giant Viper evolved from this device.44"

source: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/l...00-schneck.htm

I also found a picture of a Conger behind an Churchill in David Fletchers book "British Tanks of WW2, part 2 Holland and Germany". I'll scan this picture and post it when I have some time.
A small text with the Photo, says the Conger-accident happened in "IsjenDyke".......??? I don't know where this is. It is lkely to be a Belgian or Dutch village, but spelled wrong. I am from Holland, and I don't know it. I have done a little search, but spelled this way, it doesn't exist in Holland. Any suggetions???

Nigel: Yes, I am interested in any info on the Conger. At first I thought the Overloon-Conger was just an ordinary carrier, but now I know what it really is, it starts to interest me, more and more.
Maybe a dumb question, but how do you know it's a former 1941 mortar carrier? Can you regognize sertain features? Or were all Congers converted mortar carriers......or do you know more about the Overloon-Conger???
I'll try to find someone who has more pictures of the Conger in Overloon

Alex