MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 11-01-09, 22:23

Default Canadian pipers in Paris (11 Nov 44) ...

Antony Beevor and Artemis Cooper in their book, "Paris after the liberation 1944-1949", write that a band of kilted Canadian pipers played at the Armistice Day parade in Paris on 11 November 1944. It was at this parade that Churchill and de Gaulle laid wreaths on the grave of the unknown soldier at the Arc de Triomphe.

Does anyone know which band this was?

Comments appreciated ...

Mike
Old 13-01-09, 04:33

Default Canadians in Paris

I believe it was the Essex Scottish.

ED
Old 17-01-09, 17:34

Default Canadians in Paris ...

Thanks, Ed. I was hoping that it might have been the BW. (I have a newspaper shot of them marching through Eastbourne and another of their pipers playing at a burial.)

M
Old 17-01-09, 20:12
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Thanks, Ed. I was hoping that it might have been the BW. (I have a newspaper shot of them marching through Eastbourne and another of their pipers playing at a burial.)

M
Hi Michael;

Extract from the War Diary of the 1st Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada for November 1944:

11th. Nov., Sat.

"Weather - fine in morning, cloudy in afternoon. The pipe band - five pipers and four drummers - was out today, and playing through the streets of the town. Gradually it is getting back up to strength - a far cry from that day at Point 158, near EPANCY in France, when retreat was played by two pipers and one drummer. Some of the boys who were wounded have now returned to the unit and their place in the band. It is good to see and hear them again. Guards were posted at certain crossroads on the edge of town with instructions that the names of all civilians entering must be recorded, and that the civilians must be notified that if they came in they would be unable to return. Unknown to us all the civilians were being evacuated from ST. AGATHA and the guards were uwapped when the evacuees started pouring in. Some of the farmers wished to drive their cattle out again to pasture, others to go out to milk theirs. It was a little while before order was restored. Parades were held this afternoon to permit the men to exchange Belgian money for Dutch. D Coy. held a party in their lines tonight voted a huge success by all in attendance. Patrols by night from CUIJK to ST. AGATHA are being carried out by the INNS of COURT REGIMENT."

Cheers
Old 19-01-09, 21:10

Default Pipers in Paris ...

Thanks Mark ... that's pretty conclusive. (BTW, hope you got my e-mail about your query ... anything else that I can do?)

ATB

Mike