MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 18-08-07, 19:54

Default WANTED: Cdn Ferret camouflage patterns

I am considering restoring my ex-Canadian Ferret Mk. I (392.B.5.4; 54-82598; 36 BA 66) in camouflage scheme (1970s) with C-42 radio and deactivated Browning MG.

I have a photocopy of CAM AND MARKINGS OF FIELD FORCE VEHICLES ALPD (Adm Log Policy Directive) manual circa 1975 (courtesy of CME Museum in 1994 when they were still at CFB Chilliwack). It standardised the camoflage paint patterns for 1 Combat Group BUT Appendix 4, Ferret Scout Car was "To be issued later."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ditto for Appendix 12 M62 Wrecker.
:-(

(Suffice to say, the set I have does not have those)

I would very much like copies of any official camouflage instructions for the Canadian Ferrets and M62 and I would also be interested if anyone has mapped out the cam patterns from surviving Ferrets, photos etc. I have been able to plot out a fair amount, but one ideally needs clear views of the same vehicle square on front, rear, left side, right side and top without people standing in the way, piles of kit etc.! In other words, I hope that a dedicated IPMS model maker did this back when the vehicles were still in service! They are noted for this kind of meticulous research.
:-)

In researching I have found at least three or four different camo patterns used.
1. Canadian Ferrets in Germany
2. In Canada. This is consistent at least for LdSH(RC) based upon photos of vehicles on parade and in the field.
3. On my Ferret 54-82598.
4. Possibly different scheme on a Ferret on parade in Calgary with Husky Tower in background. This one could be mine as she has the same physical peculiarities - external First Aid kit box on right rear of fighting compartment and "tower" signal/brake/clearance lights (a circa 1969 feature used by the British and used on a few Canadian Ferrets (most were converted to M-Series lights apparently) but the camo paint scheme does not match.

Investigation of mine is complicated by the fact that bins were sometimes changed on vehicles. I have more sanding and mapping to do to plot mine out and see if the bins line up cam patterns with the hull.

I am still looking for photos of my Ferret "598" when she was in service. - She served at Combat Arms School in Gagetown and with Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) at the tail end of her career.

Recently while removing the side bins I found some ammunition and a student driver sign - these things had slipped down between the bins and the hull or fenders and had become lodged. Sign is Yellow, licence plate sized and has black block letters saying
STUDENT
ETUDIANT
Like the British "L" sign - maybe I had better use it when I first drive my Ferret!

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC
Old 18-08-07, 23:14
carrier mech

Colin
One source for the cam patterns of these and others (including the leopard tank) is to find copies of the "Canadian Forces manual of Cam and concealment." I could look up the CFP number if you like. Not sure but I think it was somewhere around CFP318, but I am not certain on that, especially since the weapons manuals were in the 317 series.
Unless they updated the current manual in the last 6 years, it still had some of the old cam patterns in it.