MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 14-04-06, 11:33
BIG MIKE

Default Stencils

Bridge class sign , is it a metal dise screwd on the carrier or painted on , and ware is a good place to find stenciled numbers and letters, Cheers lads

BIG MIKE , HAPPY GOOD FRIDAY!!!
Old 16-04-06, 07:08
M38A1 CDN3

Message for BIG MIKE:

Alright, Fusilier...get yer heels together, chin up, rifle at your side and all kit blancoed....

Bridge Class signs were "usually" made of metal, 6" diameter, yellow, with black numerals.

Attachment to vehicles such as yours were most probably on the left side of the vehicle(looking from the front).

Sometimes, the BC sign was painted vice being a metal plate.

Numerals are easily obtainable from such sources as Grand & Toy or other stationary supply houses. (Don't go to your local IHOP...they don't carry them!).

HTH

Regards to you...2 i/c blank file.

PS...Don't you have a spell checker?
Old 16-04-06, 09:21
BIG MIKE

THANKS SKAGY you BALL BUSTER, LOL
thats cool on the Bridge sign, St Georges day is Next Sunday , Got to get the Roses out and 3rd Colour(Drummers Colour) for the RNF and or the RRF. Cheers Fusilier Jon

BIG MIKE, RSM HM RNF and Don't you ferget it!
Old 16-04-06, 14:14
GM Fox I

Default Jon Jon Jon JON!!!

When are you going to break free of that notion you have that bridge class signs are on metal discs?? They WERE on discs, from 1940 to '42 (11, 12 and early 13 cab CMP's), but from then on were painted on fenders, cowls and the like. Carriers always had them painted on. Original factory appled signs were on the left fender and were a yellow outline circle with a black "5" painted over the base khaki. later, units generally moved this (often to the lower front armour) and used a solid yellow circle with the 5 painted on.

Stencils for the "CT XXXX" were 3-1/2" tall by 5/8" stroke, and most modern stecils are 'close' at 3".
Attached Images

Old 16-04-06, 14:59
Matt

Don't know if it's any use, but this site seem's to have a fair few stencils you could print out.
http://hans.presto.tripod.com/fonts/stencil2.html
Old 17-04-06, 05:45
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Jon Jon Jon JON!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
When are you going to break free of that notion you have that bridge class signs are on metal discs?? They WERE on discs, from 1940 to '42 (11, 12 and early 13 cab CMP's), but from then on were painted on fenders, cowls and the like. Carriers always had them painted on. Original factory appled signs were on the left fender and were a yellow outline circle with a black "5" painted over the base khaki. later, units generally moved this (often to the lower front armour) and used a solid yellow circle with the 5 painted on.

Stencils for the "CT XXXX" were 3-1/2" tall by 5/8" stroke, and most modern stecils are 'close' at 3".
OK. Fusilier Mike: Looks like Bruce has told us up, with regard to
BC signs.

Anyway...get yer kit all tickety-boo for St George's Day, and lookee for the dragon!

Wave the flag, mate!
Old 17-04-06, 08:25
BIG MIKE

Cheers lad , QUO-FATA-VOCANT!!!!

BIG MIKE
Old 18-04-06, 01:03

Default Make your own???

Big Mike,

You could try making your own stencil...although it would be a bit like "craft time".

First, get yourself a computer (a hint, you're probably using it now...although from what Jordan tells me, that might not be 100% certain hehe) and simply find the font you want to use. Open up your word processing program and type the numbers / letters you want. You'll have to play with the size of the font until you get the right sizing, then print out what you need (preferably on stencil paper) and there you go. Low cost stencils of exactly what YOU want.

A buddy did that for me for my jeep, worked perfectly.... I got my "M" number, Pegasus symbol, number for my bridge sign and others that way.

Tim
Old 18-04-06, 01:20

Hi guys

Ignor that computer part from Tim. (you just lost another carrier ride for that comment)

The idea Tim has passed on about using a computer program is a good one. I used it to get my Bridge sign made up for my CMP.

I think somewhere on this forum there is a thread with pictures off all the "correct font" army numbers that were used on the vehicles. It would just be a matter of re-sizing them.

Perhaps someone knows where the thread is?

Jordan
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer