MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-06-09, 09:55

Default My Father's War - looking for details

Hi,

A couple of years ago I obtained my father's service record and have been researching the units he was with and where they were during WW2 to gain an insight into his service as he didn't talk about it much.

Sadly, he died in 2003 so I cannot discuss it with him. So I thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone can fill in some background; where he was and what he did.

I'm OK with most of the abbreviations and terminology as I am ex-services (British Army - Royal Corps of Signals).

My father was Lt (later Capt) Malcolm Harold Thomas-Peter (also known as Philip Bruce). He was a Royal Canadian Signals officer but served with a number of units during the Normandy campaign.

His brief service record (and questions):

He joined up on 18 July 1940 in Saskatoon and reported for duty on 20 Aug 1940 at Bassiefield Camp, Kingston. Posted to "L" section, 3 Coy, 3 Div Sigs.

Attached to 7 CIB at Debert Camp 15 July 1941 and embarked for England on 28 Aug 1941 arriving 13 Sep 1941 - How do I find what ship he was on?

From Sep 41 to May 44 he seems to have been shuffled from unit to unit as part of 1 CSRU and 1 CRU - (is there a difference between these two units?)

On 9 May 1944 he is attached to 5 A/Tk Regt RCA, this becomes a transfer (SOS/TOS) on 12 Jun 1944.

He embarks for France on 21 Jul 1944 and disembarks either on 23 or 28 Jul (both dates appear in different parts of his record).

Where were 5 A/Tk based in the UK and what ship would he have travelled on?

Does anyone have details of 5 A/Tk Regt and know which part my father served with and where they were? I know generally he must have been part of Totalize and Tractable but I'm looking for a bit of detail about the unit.

On 28 or 29 Oct 1944 he is transferred to 28 CAR as A/Capt.

Again I'd like to know a bit of detail, hopefully which part of 28 CAR he was with and where they were. I know this was the period of the Battle of The Scheldt but I can only guess as to what part he played.

He is transferred to 4 CADSR on 12 Dec 1944 and apart from a period on the X3 list (2 Feb to 8 Feb 1945) he stays with them until Jun 45 when he is again on the X3 list and comes back to England and is admitted to 4 CGH.

My father did mention that the only time he was wounded it was because his unit was bombed by the Americans.

An Armoured Div Signal Regt is a big place and though I have tracked where 4Canadian Armoured Div were and what they were involved in, it would be good to know what the Div Signal Regt did and possibly what part of it my father served with.

Most grateful for any information and happy to provide more information if you need it.

Thanks
Paul