MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 01-10-12, 03:18
GM Fox I

Default Cental Ordnance Depot, London

An old friend to CMPers and other Canadian military buffs is being demolished. The Central Ordnance Depot in London, Ontario was where most of our NOS parts came from. My first recollection of it was around 1967 or so when as a lad I saw row upon row of what I now know were M-series Dodges.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070415.jpg   P1070419.jpg   P1070424.jpg   P1070425.jpg  
Old 01-10-12, 03:47
M38A1 CDN3

In addition to the Central Ordnance Depot, there were other levels of RCOC installations.

I think the smallest unit was the Regional Ordnance Depot (ROD), such as 15 ROD in Lakeview. It became a Canada Post depot.

Next up the chain, I believe, was the COD, such as 25 COD which many of us are familiar with.

Next up, I believe was the Central Ordnance Railhead (COR) such as 43 COR at Camp Borden, located near where "The Hole" is/was, but on the opposite side of the road.

Funny how I can recall items like this, being triggered by Bruce's post, but I can't remember if I took my meds this morning! (Joking...but ain't it the truth.)
Old 01-10-12, 04:42
GM Fox I

I was going to post a picture of a label of some NOS, wax covered box but all the ones I can find say "Central Ordnance Depot, Montreal". I have to conclude the term central meant central to some military district and not what we think today as 'central' Canada.

I'm not sure what was in these depots. It certainly was vehicle and firearms parts, but soft stuff like uniforms too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
In addition to the Central Ordnance Depot, there were other levels of RCOC installations.

I think the smallest unit was the Regional Ordnance Depot (ROD), such as 15 ROD in Lakeview. It became a Canada Post depot.

Next up the chain, I believe, was the COD, such as 25 COD which many of us are familiar with.

Next up, I believe was the Central Ordnance Railhead (COR) such as 43 COR at Camp Borden, located near where "The Hole" is/was, but on the opposite side of the road.

Funny how I can recall items like this, being triggered by Bruce's post, but I can't remember if I took my meds this morning! (Joking...but ain't it the truth.)
Old 01-10-12, 05:00
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Bruce, in the past I have had pattern 37 webgear that was tagged Central Ordnance Depot London. It was repacked in the 50's.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 01-10-12, 14:46
metal urgest

The buiding now being torn down is one of 8 large buildings that once was part of a very substantial logistics hub. On the west side of the road are 5 approx. 40,000 sq. ft. wharehouses, all with rail links, the tank shed, and the office building. Like Bruce, I can recall Centurions rumbling under the overpass on their way to the maintenance building that is now being torn down. Rows of ex-American 5 ton trucks with the stars still on the hood and doors waiting for inspection and paint. My father recalls truck loads of Ford flatheads in crates going to the scrap yard in the late sixties. The maintenance building had a large machine shop, paint facilities, overhead cranes, and dozens of work bays. After the buildings on the west side of Highbury were surplussed in the early seventies, most of the work done there was moved to Montreal, as well as the major overhauls, relegating the complex to an "Area Support" facility for 1 RCR and the surrounding militia units.
Almost brings a tear to your eye!
Perry
Old 02-10-12, 02:37
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Kitson View Post
The buiding now being torn down is one of 8 large buildings that once was part of a very substantial logistics hub. On the west side of the road are 5 approx. 40,000 sq. ft. wharehouses, all with rail links, the tank shed, and the office building. Like Bruce, I can recall Centurions rumbling under the overpass on their way to the maintenance building that is now being torn down. Rows of ex-American 5 ton trucks with the stars still on the hood and doors waiting for inspection and paint. My father recalls truck loads of Ford flatheads in crates going to the scrap yard in the late sixties. The maintenance building had a large machine shop, paint facilities, overhead cranes, and dozens of work bays. After the buildings on the west side of Highbury were surplussed in the early seventies, most of the work done there was moved to Montreal, as well as the major overhauls, relegating the complex to an "Area Support" facility for 1 RCR and the surrounding militia units.
Almost brings a tear to your eye!
Perry
The workshops on the west side of Highbury Road are still there and in private hands. They are for sale if you need a little extra space.
Attached Thumbnails
P1070418.jpg