MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 12-07-13, 01:45

Default F60S - 351Windsor

I've nearly finished fitting a reco 351 Windsor and F250 5 speed box to my F60S Blitz. I'm heading to the Birdsville races in about 7 weeks (from Drouin VIC) and need some help finding a part for the trip. I'm after the brake lever assembly that actuates the master cylinder in the "old design" brake system (F60S-01 spare parts list illustration no. 4, see attached).

I've installed a PBR - VH90 remote brake booster and don't want to chop up the assembly I've removed that suits the newer boosted Blitz's.

I've added a few pics of the new V8 implant for your interest, I decided to run with this modification when I experienced catastrophic engine failure on the way to Corowa in 2011 where the cam shaft in my side valve snapped into 5 pieces, plus all sorts of other damage.

Please send me a message if you can assist with the part I need.

Thanks

Casey
Attached Thumbnails
F60S 351W 1.JPG   F60S 351W 2.JPG   F60S 351W 4.JPG   F60S 351W 5.JPG   Brake part.JPG  

Old 12-07-13, 05:04

Sorry can't help with the parts. But That is a nice looking bit of work with the 351. Was there much cutting involved getting it in? What are the clearances like? The "racing" valve covers crack me up - they look so surreal on a blitz! Are you using the original radiator? PLEASE post of video of that driving!

Last edited by harrygrey382; 12-07-13 at 05:13.
Old 12-07-13, 12:21

Default Bravo!!

Gday Casey, I met you at Corowa that year and you told me you were working on this after the engine failure.

The 351 looks pretty cool I must say... there are a few blokes who should be able to help you with that bit.

Your not going to have much trouble getting away at the lights. There's going to be some surprised V8 ute drivers looking for a drag...

What box are you running behind it? C4?

Bring on pictures, video, anything!!!
Old 12-07-13, 12:42

Thanks, it's been quite a bit of work to get to here. I had to cut 40mm from each side of the floor, the main engine cross member has been chopped out and strengthened to allow for the sump. I fabricated a new cross member with heavy duty engine mounts that should hold the engine with less than 10mm of movement at the rocker covers. The gearbox cross member had to be cut out and strengthened, I still need to "re-route" the 4wd shifter.
Luckily I only need to steal a small section of cab space around the extractors and I still have standard space around the clutch pedal.

When I ordered the engine I asked for plain and black as it's not a show piece. When I picked it up they said they had to add some colour, I'm happy with how it turned out.

I'll be finalising the design of the custom aluminium radiator this weekend, it's pretty tight to fit a decent thermo fan in. I'm looking forward to driving it, and yes, I'll have the video camera out.

Cheers

Casey
Old 12-07-13, 13:13

G'day Tony,

I remember the weekend it blew up you were suggesting a reco side valve. I originally wanted to restore a Blitz with a Windsor and when I bought Grant's F60S it was too good to mess with. However when the engine self destructed, once I could allocate the cash my decision was made.

After a heap of research, it was an easy choice. I'm running a 5 speed gearbox out of a 1991 Ford F250, a ZF S5-42. The first 4 gear ratios are almost identical to the original crash box, with an overdrive gear @ 0.76 to 1 for 5th. I'll still have the rock crawling ability and hopefully a quieter, more fuel efficient drive on the freeway too. I've calculated 2,200 revs at 80km/h in top gear. Whilst I enjoyed the crash box, the synchro gears will go OK too!

I've taken heaps of photos during the build, I'd hoped to be at this years Corowa, however didn't make it. I'll definitely be ready for next years.
Old 13-07-13, 02:41
Pops

Default brake lever

I should have one if you can't find one closer
Max
Old 13-07-13, 10:55
Blitzed

Awesome stuff.
Old 13-07-13, 14:21
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Corowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
...I'd hoped to be at this years Corowa, however didn't make it. I'll definitely be ready for next years.
I bags drive!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)