MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-09, 03:51

Default Shed size/height for Studebaker or Blitz.

Greetings

Can someone let me know a minimum size for a shed that would hold a Studebaker US6 or a Blitz. Suggested dimensions sought; please no 'bigger the better' replies.

I have to come up with a shed plan for council real soon, that will also not break our bank.

There will be a WAF (Wife Approval Factor) that I need to meet!

Although I would prefer a Stud, have to be realistic and plan for a Blitz (more common, smaller, cheaper, etc).
I need:

Suggested max shed length - Stud :
Suggested max shed length - Blitz :

Min door height/width (I 'think' a Stud roof is higher, although a couple of feet more if bows are fitted.):

No of bays wide. (I am guessing 3 would suffice, also to hold trailer, workbench, etc., although some items could 'migrate' elsewhere, perhps into an attached smaller shed/carport later down the track.

Probably the overall length/width/height of a US6 and Blitz would meet my needs.

In anticipation,

Thanks

Bruce G
Old 12-08-09, 04:27

If you allow 9 metres (30ft) deep and 4.5 metres (14ft) for each truck plus 3.6 metres (12ft) minimum stud height (14 ft would be better)you should be right for any type of vehicle, Studebaker or LWB CMP plus probably have room behind for a workbench.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 12-08-09, 04:33

Default Blitz Shed Sizing

A variety of sizes all length x width x height in inches
HUP 163x79x90
C15A GS with tilt 171x88x97
C15A wire5 (Canadian house type) 176x86x114
FGT 175x90x99
C60L GS with tilt 244x90x120
C60X Machinery 245x90x126

Add whatever allowances you need for - workspace around truck, storage, clearance overhead, larger than standard tires (most modern military tires seem taller than WW2 equivalents)
Old 12-08-09, 08:56
V.M.V.C Member

Default Shed size

I was thinking an old aircraft hanger would just about cover it.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 16-08-09, 19:17

Default Did you get the answer you needed?

Hi Bruce

Not sure that you got the information you needed. I've been playing with CMPs for 30+ years. I started with an over sized two car garage 24' wide 32' deep and 7' high doors. First mistake, when I got my HUP it would not fit in the door. Then built a 14' wide 32' shed attach to the existing garage with 94" doors which works fine for the HUP. The extra depth in the garage allows for storage and in our case parking six vehicles (two deep in each bay).

Now we move on to bigger trucks. They don't fit period. Too tall and if you remove the cab top and windshield to get them in you don't have enough room around them to work. Next phase a Pole Barn 24'x36' in which I can park my HUP, C60S with long frame and radio box mounted, nose to tail in one bay and my C60L with 12' cargo body in the next bay. Leaving some area to work. But to really work on any of the trucks one of them has to get parked out side or in the other garage. (Generally the HUP is parked in the other garage.

Because we live in a rural area all of the buildings are separated by a minimum of 30' feet if we have a fire I only want to loose one building.

Back to you size question though, storage is also an issue, living in New England with heavy snow all the roofs have to be pitched pretty steep and be of heavy design. In our case I had the barn built with an attic floor built to hold a heavy load. Also I installed structural shelving which gives me nearly twice the storage area that the floor space alone would allow, plus you can see what is stored on the shelves. At one point I had every part accept the frame stored in the attic for one of the big trucks. I also built a simple cargo elevator that can handle any part up to 1500 lbs which makes the loft storage useful and practical.

If you are interested in how these spaces worked out take a wonder through my web site and you will get better idea of working on trucks in place. If you need particular dimensions let me know.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com