MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-03-05, 15:09
Rust be gone!

Default Looks like Coker has started a run 900x16"

I thought you might want to know about thes tire that Coker is running as of January past.

900x16" tires, 185.00 each, not sure if its Can. or US $

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/...67&cat=&page=1
Old 30-03-05, 16:57

Default 10.50-16

Can any one comment on the 10.50-16 tyres available on this web site.

They are obviously American bar grips rather than track grips, but will they fit British/Canadian rims.

The only other current production tyre of this size that I am a where of is the Mitas product (previously Barrum), which has a rather strange tread pattern.
Old 30-03-05, 19:20

Hi Neil,

The MITAS is a perfect alternative, no fairy tale and they are actually available!!!
I drove a lot of miles on them, and did around 45-50 miles an hour, very smooth, no problemo and that even without balancing the wheels.

hope this gives you a good advise,

Regards,

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
c15ta.jpg  
Old 30-03-05, 21:52
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 10.50-16

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Can any one comment on the 10.50-16 tyres available on this web site.
Neil, read the thread generating interest for ordering a batch of 10.50-16 directional tyres.

H.
Old 31-03-05, 01:12

Default The Virgina C15TA Tires

I believe that the Virgina C15TA is fitted with Gateway Super Mudder tires, remembered that I had pictures of them when they were first mounted and still had the casting tits still on them.

Web search of "Gateway Super Mudder" hasn't turned up anything useful. Search on Gateway Tire indicates that it is a Dunlap brand.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 31-03-05, 08:21

Default 10.50-16 tyres

Hanno

I registered with Steve at the time but I was under the impression that this had all died a death due to the requirement for DOT testing.

I assume Steve would have past his list of customers accross to the new guy trying to get them made. A lot of time has passed without any progress.

The UK supplier of Coker tyres has already quoted me a price of £149 plus vat with monthly delivery. The only question as ever is the angle of the bead. The supplier has already said to me they had to machine the rims of their Canadian Dodge. Is this realy necessary or can a tyre fitting machine get them fitted properly.

Stefan did you have to machine your rims for the MITAS tyres?

At the end of the day in the absence of track grips it will come down to what looks more original.
Old 31-03-05, 19:42

Hi Neil,

I did not have to machine my rims, for example: the HUP or Lynx scout car have the same rim size as an ordinary dodge weapon carrier and such.(American rim)
The C15TA or C15A or any other CMP with 16" rims have the socalled British rim.

hope this helps,

Stefan
Old 31-03-05, 20:47
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 10.50-16 tyres

Quote:
I registered with Steve at the time but I was under the impression that this had all died a death due to the requirement for DOT testing.

(...)

The UK supplier of Coker tyres has already quoted me a price of £149 plus vat with monthly delivery. The only question as ever is the angle of the bead. The supplier has already said to me they had to machine the rims of their Canadian Dodge. Is this realy necessary or can a tyre fitting machine get them fitted properly.
Neil, Steve Kagi tried to get a run of 10.50-16 directional (chevron type) tyres made. The Coker tyres you refer to are 9.00-16 non-directional (bargrip) tyres, for which a much greater market exists (just think of all those Dodges needing tyres!).

http://www.jeeparts.nl/ offers "900 x 16 Bargrip" tyres for €135,00, I've seen them at a show and they are the Indian MRF brand tyres. I have no idea if these are for British or US rims, but I suspect the latter, again because of all those Dodges!

H.
Old 31-03-05, 21:07

Default tyres

I have been talking with a Tyre salesman here in Norway that has good conections to a tyre produser in Asia (Malaisya?). He has imported tyres for the Volvo Lapplander from them, and he has prommised me to check out if they can make "english tyres" for us blokes...
What he needs now is any tecnical spesifications of the tyres.
So if anyone have any such info, please e-mail me, and I will forward it to him. He says it is very interessting to invest in it, if he gets the "monopoly" (?) in europe (and/or america). He might also be interessted in making gearman tyres...
And when/if it gets in order, I guess he will be needing sub-dealers arround.

So any technical info, mail me...

Rolf
Old 01-04-05, 06:33

Default Re: Re: 10.50-16 tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
http://www.jeeparts.nl/ offers "900 x 16 Bargrip" tyres for €135,00, I've seen them at a show and they are the Indian MRF brand tyres. I have no idea if these are for British or US rims, but I suspect the latter, again because of all those Dodges!
Hi Hanno,
They are British rim, they sell em to a lot of dodge owners but are too wide for the dodge rims.
They fit perfectly on, for example, your F15A.
We found out, because we needed tyres for the Lynx ( American rim) and it was way too loose around the rim.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 01-04-05, 08:13

Default 10.50X16

Hanno

I am a little confused by your comments.

If you do a search on the Coker site for 10.50X16 it brings up the tyres I am refering to . Not 9.00X16 unless you are saying that Coker are being dishonest.

When I asked the UK supplier of these tyres what would happen if the bead angle was incorrect, they sugested that at tyre pressures approaching 100psi the bead might fail. This kind of pressure is obviously not common on our type of vehicle.

I currently have standard Dunlop Track Grips fitted and have no ideal what angle of bead these have.
Old 01-04-05, 12:20
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: 10.50X16

Quote:
Hanno

If you do a search on the Coker site for 10.50X16 it brings up the tyres I am refering to . Not 9.00X16 unless you are saying that Coker are being dishonest.
Neil, when you do a search for 10.50-16, the Coker site brings up the same recycled pic of a 6.00-16 tyre they use for all Military tyres. However, on previous incarnations of their site, Coker have pictured the actual 10.50-16 tyre which has the same tread as a WW2 Canadian tyre. While Coker has not had this tyre in stock for time, it seems there was some interest in doing a production run, but this ran into DOT certification problems mentioned above.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-05, 12:43

Default 10.50X16

Tony

Thank you for the reply.

I had realised the pictures were the same, but it is strange that their UK dealer has quoted me a price and delivery timescale if they are not available.

I will go back to them and ask for clarification.
Old 01-04-05, 17:02

Default 10.50X16

I am just about to leave this work based e-mail address untill next Tuesday, but the latest information I have from the UK supplier is as follows.

The picture that Coker have in their latest catalogue is different to that on the web site, and is presumably the one Tony has posted.

The supplier tells me that they get a monthly list from Coker confirming what tyres are no longer in stock, and 10.50X16 are not mentioned.

That is the basis on which they quoted me a price, and they are contacting Coker for clarification. It will be interesting to hear what Coker have to say.
Old 03-04-05, 08:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: 10.50-16 tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan Leegwater
They are British rim, they sell em to a lot of dodge owners but are too wide for the dodge rims.
They fit perfectly on, for example, your F15A.
Thanks Stefan. My F15A does not need new tyres (yet), but it's good to know what brand of tyre fits the rims.

Hanno
Old 03-04-05, 08:13
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Hanno

Neil, sorry for the confusion. I initially followed the link provided by cmp_uc_guy, the tyres you refer to are listed here.
As I understand it, the 10.50-16 tyres listed by Coker are the ones Tony posted a picture of, which are the same ones as Steve Kagi tried to get a batch of made. Are we going round in circles? Possibly, although I just noticed Cokers lists them as "1050-16 NDT MILITARY", but the 10.50-16 tyres Tony and I are referring to are not NDT's. Please keep us posted here about the reply of your reply of your supplier, as it could be you've found a new lead on 10.50-16 tyres.

Hanno
Old 05-04-05, 09:09

Default 10.50X16

Hanno

I have an e-mail on my system this morning confirming that Coker can supply 10.50X16 tyres in NDCC tread pattern?.

They say they do not have any in stock, but can obtain them very quickly (10 days). I will be asking for a picture of the tread pattern to compare. I am not quite sure what a NDCC tye looks like. Perhaps some one can enlighten me.

The price in the UK has now gone up to £155.00 plus vat. Perhaps someone can get a price from one of the european dealers to compare.
Old 05-04-05, 15:40
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I have an e-mail on my system this morning confirming that Coker can supply 10.50X16 tyres in NDCC tread pattern?
(...)
I will be asking for a picture of the tread pattern to compare.
Neil, that could be very good news. But please make sure to ask for an actual picture of the tire in question, as their site lists "1050-16 NDT MILITARY".
Quote:
I am not quite sure what a NDCC tye looks like. Perhaps some one can enlighten me.
Read the article on tyre tread patterns: NDCC stands for non-directional cross-country and is the post-war US bar tread type with rounded shoulders, commonly seen on American vehicles these days. It is the first tread shown in the pictures below. The WW2 type bar tread is the Mud and Snow (NDT) tread, second from the left.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 05-04-05, 18:17

Default 10.50-16 tyres

I am yet to receive a picture of the tread pattern, but I have been informed that they are similar to NDT tyres but with sipes? in the bars.

It makes me wonder if Coker are offering the MITAS IM-01 product which I previously thought to be the only 10.50X16 currently in production. Some one told me some time ago that the American military were currently buying a lot of these tyres for an application in Iraq. A picture of these tyres can be viewed at www.cgs.cz under impliment non-traction tyres. I assume these are the tyres Stefan mentions.

I a wait more details on what Coker are actualy offering.
Old 05-04-05, 18:55
former Resident Historian

Default To save the fingers...

Attached Thumbnails
IM_01d.jpg  
Old 06-04-05, 00:23
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I assume these are the tyres Stefan mentions.
Your assumption is correct. I am now highly anxious to see what Coker has on offer. Are we going round in circles?

H.
Old 06-04-05, 09:10

Default 10.50X16 tyres

I am now informed that the tyres on offer are a Denman product which they don't illustrate in their catalogue. I am waiting for a picture of the tread pattern.

Hopefully this convoluted trail will lead to a useable trye, but don't hold your breath.
Old 06-04-05, 09:12
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
I am yet to receive a picture of the tread pattern, but I have been informed that they are similar to NDT tyres but with sipes? in the bars.

This sounds like the description of the tread pattern that first appeared in Australia on Unimogs, called the "NATO; or "Mog" pattern. These have been produced in this pattern in 9.00-16, 11.00-20 and 12.00-20 and made by Dunlop, Michelin and Alliance for a variety of equipment. The pattern is actually a WW2 German design. Alliance have factories in USA and Israel, and if this is the tread that Coker have, then I suspect that it would be an Alliance tyre. Keith has a pic of a Fordson WOT2 in the Bandiana Museum wearing Alliance 9.00-16's (from a M119 Hamel 105mm gun, no less!), which suggests that they may fit "British" rims. Keith, could you share the pic?
Attached Thumbnails
pc50.jpg  
Old 06-04-05, 10:00
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Wot Wot Wot Wot Wot Wot Wot?

(to qoute Harry Seacombe)

Here you go, Tony...

and who's the chappie looking in the back? The Lithgow flash!
Attached Thumbnails
wot_1.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 06-04-05, 17:50

Default 10.50-16 tyres

Big disappointment I am afraid.

The picture I have been sent of the Denman tyre shows a road tread pattern (unable to attach picture).

Therefore we are back to the MITAS product being the only tyre currently in production which visualy looks almost acceptable.

Having said that I can remember years ago seeing a 10.50-16 tyre in the pattern which Tony posted. I don't particularly like either pattern so some else can chase up that tyre if they are interested.

I will have to stick to the 9.00-16's currently fitted to my vehicle until they wear out or a better product comes along.
Old 06-04-05, 20:38
former Resident Historian

Default Indian tyres

I dealt with a company in India years ago, based in Bombay/Mumbai, and they were very keen to gather information by way of catalogues etc. on auto components as they wanted to produce equivalents themselves. I wonder if a tyre company such as Zahi Tyre, who produce a 6.00 x 16 'Jeep' tyre might be persuaded to produce a bespoke design for export?

Old 06-04-05, 21:07
Rust be gone!

Default a note about my original post

I just had a word with the local coker dist. about the tires i posted at the top of this thread, It shows on their page...

$185.00US which comes out to $225.00Can the guy priced them out for me at $330.00 each and they would come in with his regular monthly shipment. $100.00 dolars a tire for markup and shipping....someones trying to make some money. (for order of 5)

Rob
Old 07-04-05, 00:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Big disappointment I am afraid.

The picture I have been sent of the Denman tyre shows a road tread pattern (unable to attach picture).
Bummer.

E-mail me the pic and I'll post it here for the sake of completeness.

Thanks for your efforts!

H.
Old 07-04-05, 21:05
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Neil, as you said this obviously is nothing like a NDT tyre. The file is named "firestone-p.jpg". Could you ask if they could possibly have attached the wrong picture?
Attached Images

Old 11-04-05, 18:16

Default 10-50.16 tyres

Hanno

The tyre company don't seem to be interested in contacting me any further so I can only suggest that some who has an e-mail address for Denman contact them.