MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 26-07-04, 01:00
T-16, C15A

Default Show Weiner?

I have a question.

I was at a car show in St. Mary's Ontario this Sunday afternoon.

The show staff came around near the end and presented me with an award for the "Most Gawked At Award - 2004".

Were they making fun of me?

Stewart
Attached Thumbnails
st marys in july.jpg  
Old 26-07-04, 01:59
T-16, C15A

Default Friends

I was with my pals Tommy Allen of London with his 15cwt welder truck - just like the one he took to Ortona to fix tanks in WW2; and John Hotson who has not only the 30cwt truck but a barn full of treasures - Carrier bits, 30cwt with the Timken trailing axel 6x6, etc.

These 2 have been fooling with CMP for 30 years - but I guess I should have gotten into it then also...

Stewart
Attached Thumbnails
july in st. marys.jpg  
Old 26-07-04, 07:31
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Show Weiner?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
The show staff came around near the end and presented me with an award for the "Most Gawked At Award - 2004".

Stewart: wear the accolade with pride. Making fun of you?...No way... it was pure jealousy!

Personal note...find your pic album from CC3? No joy this end, sorry.
Old 26-07-04, 07:35
M38A1 CDN3

Default Stewart's St Mary's Show

Hey...I just noticed after I posted...whereinhell did the Vickers on the UC come from?

Fluted, straight, what barrel...CA, full, de-ac...c'mon Stewart, details, please.
Old 26-07-04, 07:41
In Vino Veritas

Default Gawked at...

...Way to go Stew. The Vickers looks GRRRRRREAT! Goes to show what years of obsession and garbage bags full of money and hours spent away from the lovely wife will get you.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 26-07-04, 16:58
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Stewart's St Mary's Show

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Hey...I just noticed after I posted...whereinhell did the Vickers on the UC come from?

Fluted, straight, what barrel...CA, full, de-ac...c'mon Stewart, details, please.
Jon,

I was happy to get first pick of the new shipment at Collector's Source in Acton. I am sure that Fred and Al were quite sick of me calling them every week to find out when the 'stuff' was coming in. The whole story of how this gun got to Canada would be funny, if you were not the guys who had paid for them all in the UK, only to have them held up by every Customs guy from Halifax to Southampton for more than a year.

The gun that I selected was one of a pile of mid-1940's Australian made guns and tripods. My tastefully deactivated gun was made near the end of the production ( if I can believe the web page about Vickers MMG ) with a smooth water jacket. Prior to getting a pin welded through the firing chamber it was a .303 shooter.

You know my feelings on the Draconian gun laws in Canada - so I won't bore anyone with my rantings about that subject. I have seen that some folks in Nevada are taking Australian Vickers dewats and converting them to semi-auto. The gun importers that I spoke with recently were split - either they were illegal to get into Canada, or they were far too expensive a toy ( even for me , Sean! ).

I had been collecting Vickers bits for a while, and all of the ammo carriers, flash suppresors and extra sights fit like a glove. The deactivation allows the top covers free to open to show all of the splendid bits and parts of the workings of a true engineering marvel. It's too bad that I will never get to fire this extraordinary part of history.

Stewart
Old 26-07-04, 22:18
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thumbs up Lookin' Good...

...now, where's all the kit that's supposed to be hangin' off it?
Attached Thumbnails
vickerscarrier600.jpg  
Old 28-07-04, 15:06
T-16, C15A

Default Perplexed Mounting

Brad,

My Vickers gun is a dewat that bears a serial number in the 800X range. I selected a tripod that bears a date stamp 1943. Both were in super condition. The deactivation was tastefully done, and I would recommend the services of Fred and Al at Collectors Source for anybody looking for any articles of this type.

I had been researching the Vickers mount on the Universal Carrier platform for some time, and had been frustrated by my inability to locate good war time pictures, nor any drawings. The few pictures that I did locate did not show what I needed to show to enable me to reproduce a mount.

Following a tip from G W-B last year, I contacted a Canadian CANLOAN veteran in New Brunswick, who had recently released a book about the CANLOAN experience of which he was a decorated participant. Mr. Fendick also lamented the fact that he was unable to locate an example of the part during his documentary effort – even after visits to the museums in London and Bovington in the UK. He indicated that the mount was a travel or temporary mount, and not nearly as elaborate as the tripod used for indirect fires.

The mount that I have employed is indeed the tripod, lashed to the Bren tripod mount and the radio antennae mounting bracket on the radiator armoured cover. It looks as if my plan has worked as I had intended – by taking low shots, you can barely see that I have done this . The travel mount did not use any elevation gear, but the set up is very handy for leaving on the Carrier while I drop the Vickers into its crate and load my trailer for the trip to and from shows.

I wonder if anybody out there has a real mount that they would be willing to share with us ?

Stewart

Old 28-07-04, 18:11
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Perplexed Mounting

Quote:
I wonder if anybody out there has a real mount that they would be willing to share with us ?
Nope, but I've got some mighty good pictures of a mount on a Mk.II*, clear enough to scale a repro from... might cost you a box of beer, though...
Old 28-07-04, 20:07
T-16, C15A

Default Wait a Minute ...

Geoff,

Would those pix you make reference to have been given to you, by me, some years ago?

If they are, then I already have them. They were the best shots that I have seen on the subject.

Nice try tho'.

I like the sounds of the beer, so we should get together to discuss. The parade this weekend is at Fort Malden near Amherstburg ( near Windsor, Ontario ) for a historical timeline. I will be meeting the HLIoC gang down there, as they let me hang with them ( when I bring my Carrier ).

Then I am off to Maryland for the whole of next week.

Stewart
Old 28-07-04, 20:10
T-16, C15A

Default Tell Us More

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Mills
I have the same gun as you, an Aussie 42 dated one, SN # 80XX. I have converted mine to simulated fire using OXY/MAPP gas, Still dewatted of course and looks perfect...amazing fun to play with.
Brad,

I have not had much to do with that simfire stuff - it sounds like it would be fun to scare the stuffing out of the cats tho!

Did you do the conversion yourself? How many shots do you get from the bottles hidden in your ammo can? Where does the combustion take place?

Stewart
Old 16-08-04, 21:48
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Show Weiner?

Quote:
I have a question.

I was at a car show in St. Mary's Ontario this Sunday afternoon.

Stewart
Hey Stew..
Are we going to get a chance to vote for you at Coe Hill the 4-5th of September..??
I hope to see you there..
I'm making the annual pilgrimage this year.
I missed CC-3 because my daughter was moving that weekend but will be at Coe Hill.
Hope too see John Skag and Bob Carrier there too..
A great event.
It is getting bigger every year.
Old 17-08-04, 21:52
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Perplexed Mounting

Quote:
I had been researching the Vickers mount on the Universal Carrier platform for some time, and had been frustrated by my inability to locate good war time pictures, nor any drawings. The few pictures that I did locate did not show what I needed to show to enable me to reproduce a mount.
I'm sure you've seen the pictures in the thread Piat/Vickers mount, but maybe others have not?

H.