MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Old 25-02-05, 16:02
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Executed Cdn POWs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Army Message (dated: 4 October, 1945) that was sent from the Records Office - NDHQ(Ottawa) to the Records Office - CMHQ(London) regarding Battle Casualties AEF (Ailled Expeditionary Force). I have only posted the top portion of the message, the bottom portion lists the 31 names mentioned, with Edward's appearing at the top of the left hand column (H42084 Rfmn Smith E).
(Note: the above mentioned Army Message can be found on page 2 of this thread)

The complete list:
Attached Thumbnails
list - 4 oct 45 ltr.jpg  
Old 25-02-05, 16:09
Vets Dottir

Default again....

Thanks Everyone,

I really must have been sleeping/distracted to have not "connected" Lt W.S. FERGUSON with the same mentioned in the witness statement a few posts back. It's a blessing to have REAL historians on board to find and correct things... even me

Karmen
Old 25-02-05, 16:30
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Executed Cdn POWs

Two witness statements from April 1945. Top: from Rfmn Desjarlais, A. (dated: 29 Apr 45). Bottom: from Rfmn Sinclair, A. (dated: 27 Apr 45). Note: in the top statement Edward's (Rfmn Smith) initials are wrong, they have them being "J.R.M." but the Svc # is Edward's (H 42084):
Attached Thumbnails
witness statements apr 45.jpg  
Old 25-02-05, 17:14
Vets Dottir

Hi Mark,

Regards (RFMN ???) A. SINCLAIR witness report. The SINCLAIR name and the service number H 41872 both jumped out at me as so very close to my Uncle's number H 42084. They must have signed up in the same place around the same time and he obviously knew my Uncle by name/number (which could have been just through training/serving together) ... I'd really like to know where Rfmn A. SINCLAIR is from. Do you have any background information about him, Mark?

Thanks,

Karmen
Old 25-02-05, 17:29
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Re: Rifleman A. Sinclair

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Mark,

Regards (RFMN ???) A. SINCLAIR witness report. The SINCLAIR name and the service number H 41872 both jumped out at me as so very close to my Uncle's number H 42084. They must have signed up in the same place around the same time and he obviously knew my Uncle by name/number (which could have been just through training/serving together) ... I'd really like to know where Rfmn A. SINCLAIR is from. Do you have any background information about him, Mark?

Thanks,

Karmen
No, I'm sorry, I don't. His statement was in your Uncle's file. I thought you could tell me about him, considering his Surname is that of 'Sinclair'.

Cheers
Old 25-02-05, 17:48
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Rifleman A. Sinclair

Quote:
No, I'm sorry, I don't. His statement was in your Uncle's file. I thought you could tell me about him, considering his Surname is that of 'Sinclair'.

Cheers
I've tried before to find out more about him but hit a brick wall so far. Sinclair is a common name back home connected back to a Hudson's Bay company's fur trade days. Most of us from the area ARE fur trade descendants (Metis etc) ... I just don't know if Rfmn A. SINCLAIR is connected. Yet. If so ... that would explain him knowing my Uncle beyond through meeting as RWR's.

TOMMY PRINCE married a VERNA SINCLAIR (my mothers first husbands sister) and I know she's still living in Winnipeg these days ... maybe it's time for me to contact her and find out about other family soldiers for my family history. ... and maybe she knows who Rfmn A. SINCLAIR is.

Doing family tree stuff for that area means I think we're ALL related!!! Incredible...and very confusing!

Meanwhile ... I still would like to know if there is a family connection to Rfmn A. Sinclair ... so ... if anyone knows anything about him I'd sure appreciate hearing about him.

Thanks,

Karmen (still groggy half asleep today... can't wake up)
Old 25-02-05, 17:51
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Questions

Hi Karmen;

I've just realized that this thread, to date, has answered the majority of the questions you originally asked on pages 5 and 6 of the 'Books photos about executed POWS June 1944' thread, way back when.....I guess that means, if you long enough, eventually someone will answer

Cheers
Old 25-02-05, 17:55
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Re: Re: Rifleman A. Sinclair

Quote:
Karmen (still groggy half asleep today... can't wake up)
....why should today be different then any other day...Oh!, you actually mean to say that you do wake up from time to time.....I see, ......... Bye
Old 25-02-05, 20:10
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Rifleman A. Sinclair

Quote:
....why should today be different then any other day...Oh!, you actually mean to say that you do wake up from time to time.....I see, ......... Bye
Regards if I long enough, answers shall finally come ... in this case, yes they've been a long time coming, but they're coming ... which still amazes me and makes me know how fortunate I am, unlike many others researching their relatives and all and sadly hitting blank-walls. I just got lucky by spotting a mainline link into MLU resources/help and minds

BTW ... yore a fine cheeky Hairy Beast Buggar (sometimes) you are. Occassionally ... I DO wake up long enough to notice I was sleeping or that yore cheek-buggar-ness needs a reply ...

Swing low
Swing high
Ma swings her frying pan
On the hairy beast old fart-man

I think I can I think I can ... (and will one day soon )
Old 25-02-05, 23:54
RIP

Default Lt Tom Windsor-murdered at the Chateau

Last summer,after watching Cliff Chatterton's documentary,where Tom Windsor(executed with two other soldiers) sent a last letter to his wife,here in Montreal,I made a note of the address,and one day while in that area of the city,I found the exact address,and the building is still there.Just doing my part in honor of one of our fallen.Great input Mark
Old 24-04-06, 20:21
Vets Dottir

Default Grandpa Joe

Hello Folks,

I was able to take pictures of some old black and white photos of mine, and here is a photo of my Grandpa Joe ... Uncle Ed's father. The photo was taken before Sept. 17, 1945 (prior to his death) ... the church in the background is our little back home St. Luke's Anglican ... the small cemetary is there too, most closest relations passed on family are at rest there, including Grandpa and Granny.

Private Joseph Smith
Regimental # 1072219
C.M.R. C.E.F.

Karmen
Attached Thumbnails
smiths1940s2.jpg  
Old 24-04-06, 20:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Grandpa Joe

Quote:
I was able to take pictures of some old black and white photos of mine, and here is a photo of my Grandpa Joe ... Uncle Ed's father. The photo was taken before Sept. 17, 1945 (prior to his death) ... the church in the background is our little back home St. Luke's Anglican ... the small cemetary is there too, most closest relations passed on family are at rest there, including Grandpa and Granny.
That would seem to self-evident, would it not?
Old 24-04-06, 20:36
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Grandpa Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
That would seem to self-evident, would it not?
Nitpicker ...

The POINT was it was taken pre Sept 17, 1945 and how I KNOW this to be so is because Grandpa died on that date.

K.
Old 29-08-06, 01:02
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Conduct Sheet

Quote:
Place: Field (UK)
Date of Offence: 24/3/44
Offence: AWL 2 days, 4 hours
Punishment Awarded: 10 days field punishment and forfeiture of 12 days pay total
Date punishment awarded: 31/3/44
By whom awarded: Lt-Col JM Meldram
Hi Folks,

I wonder if someone can explain to me what "10 days field punishment" means, and what the punishment probably consisted of?

Thank you in advance

Karmen.
Old 31-08-06, 19:24

Default Field Punishment

Hi Karmen,

I'd also be interested in learning more about discipline during WW II, as I believe it had evolved to become less harsh since its origins in the 1800's and into WW I. Hopefully some with some relevant military experience can tell us more. Here is a page with info on the various levels of discipline in 1914:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A944363

That probably provides a broad guide to the types of punishments administered, though the details of fines etc. obviously would have changed by 1944. Most of those terms still appear in the records of WW II soldiers. I had always assumed field punishment included lots of marching about in full kit, cleaning and polishing and other menial and physical tasks. It's possible that underestimates its harshness. I do not know if it would have still included being shackled, etc during this period.
Old 31-08-06, 22:30
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Field Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by klambie
Hi Karmen,

I'd also be interested in learning more about discipline during WW II, as I believe it had evolved to become less harsh since its origins in the 1800's and into WW I.
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response I wonder often what sorts of actions and such that my Uncle, and others who were "disciplined", had to do, or do without My dear Uncle had a number of AWOLs in his records, both "at home in Canada" and Overseas and it's always been a question in my mind as to what forms of disciplinary actions were meted out, and for what

ALSO, I am thinking that a whole new thread started about "discipline" would be good (and extremely interesting to read through) as this could become a whole topic all on it's own, and would "get lost" in my Uncle's thread here.

IN FACT, the more I consider this, I'm going to start one right now and we can attract peoples responses directly to this subject. I'll also post a link from this thread to the new one!

Karmen
Old 31-08-06, 22:45
Vets Dottir

Default Discipline in WW2.

HERE is the link to the new thread "Discipline in WW2":

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...&threadid=6854

Karmen.
Old 17-09-06, 19:28
Vets Dottir

Default Anniversaries.

In Memory of Uncle Eddie and Grandpa Joe. Ed's birthday Sept. 17, 1922, and Grandpa Joe's (Ed's Dad) death Sept. 17, 1945.

Karmen.
Old 14-02-07, 06:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Well hey there you guys, back home Uncle Eddie had a rep as "Oh he was a REAL that one!" stressed with a lot of goodnatured and loud laughter I DO know that if Uncle Ed was anything like many of the relatives, he probably would have had the guys in stitches. He had an inclination to give into practical jokes ... some on the receiving end got choked sometimes Toss in the ability to laugh at our human silliness, including (his) own and hey ... we really are a silly bunch of mammals sometimes.

God ... I wish I could have known him in person. He would have been a gas ... and I'd have been overjoyed to show him how highly I think of him.
Kartmann, May 2008. You will pay your respects to your uncles. This is a solemn promise, hereby made publicly. Your family deserves no more and no less. Dunno how we'll sort this, but by god, you WILL be there. I swear. I was privileged to represent you in 2004, now it's your turn.

Geoffrey A. W. Winnington-Ball, Capt, OC, MLU.
Old 09-06-07, 02:34
Senior Forum Member

Default H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman

63 years on ..... it is almost sunset here on the 8th of June.....

In Honour of H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman
1st Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, C.I.C.
8 June 1944

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Eddie, say hi to Harry for me.......

Hosti Acie Nominati
Old 09-06-07, 23:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman

Quote:
63 years on ..... it is almost sunset here on the 8th of June.....

In Honour of H 42084 Smith, Edward, Rifleman
1st Battalion, The Royal Winnipeg Rifles, C.I.C.
8 June 1944

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Eddie, say hi to Harry for me.......

Hosti Acie Nominati
What can I say Mark? ... thank you for remembering Uncle Ed and saying something in here, and am sure he will say hi to Harry for you. June 8th is just another day to most people, but not to us. Yesterday Uncle Eddie was on my mind all day and I wore my poppy and T-shirt. I'd like you to know that you and your Dad were on my mind a lot yesterday as well. Somehow you and Uncle Eddie are a team in my mind and to remember Ed is usually to think of you almost in the same thought. I guess, in my mind, you are part of his story now for the large and involved part you've played in finding out about him and what happened, and all the help you've given to help me know and understand so much. The most important part, of course, is that you really care and really do honour him, which is what makes your part "something" as opposed to "just another bit of research that any old Joe Blo can do". It's meaningful and personal. I salute you for that Mark. But you must know that by now anyways ... right?

If Uncle Ed were here right now, yours is the first hand he would want to shake, and I imagine no words would be necessary to show you how he felt and thought. It means more when the honouring is coming from another soldier as soldiers know the signifigance of everything like no civi ever can ... even loving neices learning the story can't fully comprehend like another soldier can and does.

Here's one for you Mark, from Uncle Ed ...

And here's one to "Harry"

Karmen
Old 11-07-07, 19:51
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: the '2nd Greek Battalion' - 25 Feb to 18 Mar 1943

Hi Karmen;

I've figured out what the 'Greek Battalion' was that Eddie was with from 25 February to 18 March 1943 .... I actually came across this yesterday while researching something else.

There were three 'Greek Battalions', (1st, 2nd and 3rd) which formed the 'Greek Brigade', which was an ad hoc force that was organized by the Canadian Reinforcement Units in the UK to supplement the available troops of 1st Canadian Infantry Division during Exercise 'SPARTAN' (1 to 12 March 1943) in the UK.

During Exercise 'SPARTAN', Headquarters 1st Canadian Infantry Division assumed the operational responsibilities on the coast of Sussex normally carried out by Headquarters 1st Canadian Corps, in an anti-raid role. The 1st Canadian Infantry Division did not take part in SPARTAN due to the 2nd and 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigades undergoing combined operations training in Scotland, but what troops were not away on training (1st Canadian Infantry Brigade), along with the ad hoc 'Greek Brigade', drawn from the Canadian Reinforcement Units, manned the Sussex coastal positions, under command of Headquarters 1st Canadian Infantry Division during the course of Exercise 'SPARTAN'.

This explains the entries on Eddie's Record of Service, which read:

- 24 Feb 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit

- 25 Feb 1943 - Taken on Strength of 2nd Greek Battalion - in UK

- 17 Mar 1943 - Taken on Strength of 2nd Canadian Infantry Reinforcement Unit - in UK

- 18 Mar 1943 - Stricken off Strength of 2nd Greek Battalion

Cheers
Old 11-07-07, 20:40
Vets Dottir 2nd

Talking WOW!!!

THANK YOU MARK! Excellent find. Amazing how many "other" things can be found when searching about something else hey?

I knew that one day something HAD to be found out about them and it's great to finally have that mystery solved and learn that Uncle Ed was part of that exercise SPARTAN.

You've made my day.

Karmen
Old 11-07-07, 21:51
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
....and learn that Uncle Ed was part of that exercise SPARTAN.
Sorry Karmen, you've misread my last reply.

Eddie was NOT part of Ex SPARTAN. The 'Greek Brigade' supplemented the available troops of 1st Canadian Infantry Division whom assumed the operational responsibilities on the coast of Sussex, while the troops that normally would have been in those positions took part in Ex SPARTAN.

Cheers
Old 11-07-07, 21:58
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Re: WOW!!!

Quote:
Sorry Karmen, you've misread my last reply.

Eddie was NOT part of Ex SPARTAN. The 'Greek Brigade' supplemented the available troops of 1st Canadian Infantry Division whom assumed the operational responsibilities on the coast of Sussex, while the troops that normally would have been in those positions took part in Ex SPARTAN.

Cheers
In essense then, Uncle Ed was part of a group that took over and filled in doing the usual duties of the guys who went off on the SPARTAN exercise ... yes?

Did I interpret that correctly this time?

Karmen
Old 11-07-07, 22:39
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
In essense then, Uncle Ed was part of a group that took over and filled in doing the usual duties of the guys who went off on the SPARTAN exercise ... yes?

Did I interpret that correctly this time?

Karmen
...... The says Yes!..... and another one to keep it in!

Old 11-07-07, 23:35
Vets Dottir 2nd

Thanks Mark

Karmen
Old 17-09-07, 18:51
Vets Dottir 2nd

Uncle Eddie would be celebrating his 85th Birthday today. He was 21 when he was murdered in 1944.

Karmen
Old 06-06-08, 22:06
Vets Dottir 2nd

Karmen
Old 09-12-08, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir View Post

I read through the last posts and see you have all found that information. I remembered a soldier named "FERGUSON" who was executed too, but didn't recall correctly which group of POWS he was executed with. Thanks for searching out and posting the details.

Regards the DATE of death for Lt. W.S. FERGUSON ... if that "JUNE 6" date is what's entered in the War Graves site, then there is someone in charge of, and capable of updating/correcting information.

I hope someone will be able to get LT FERGUSON's information corrected as well.

Karmen
Hi. Lieut W S Ferguson was my uncle. I`ve only just found this thread, so apologies for being a bit late in responding. I`ve contacted the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in an attempt to get the details corrected. He certainly died on the 8th of June, not the sixth. He was born in Perthshire Scotland, but moved to ( first) Minneapolis, then Canada with his mother, after his father was killed on the Somme in November 1916. His mother was Annie White Stewart or Ferguson. She then married a gentleman called Pullen. By a strange twist of fate, I have discovered that the gravestones in Beny-sur-Mer are being refurbished / replaced in 2009. That would be a great opportunity to set the record straight. W S Ferguson was married to Masala Margaret Ferguson. The address given for her was Vancouver, British Columbia. I wonder if any of you could tell me how I would go about finding out if there were any children from the marriage, who were born in Canada. Who knows, I might have a Canadian cousin, or two!
Colin