MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-07-08, 10:53
former Resident Historian

Default Happy Canada Day

I understand form local BBC radio that it's Canada Day! I have just been to Canada, and the reporter was broadcasting from there. Actually it's Canada, the village just off the Southampton-Salisbury road in Hampshire! However there are Brits celebrating: one local couple have friends in Winnipeg and have been four times. The roadsign for Canada used to have a small Canadian flag decal on it!
Old 01-07-08, 12:22
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
I understand form local BBC radio that it's Canada Day! I have just been to Canada, and the reporter was broadcasting from there. Actually it's Canada, the village just off the Southampton-Salisbury road in Hampshire! However there are Brits celebrating: one local couple have friends in Winnipeg and have been four times. The roadsign for Canada used to have a small Canadian flag decal on it!
Thanks David! July 1st 1867 is the official date the Canadas became 'the Dominion of Canada', and up until the Liberals worked their inevitable evil this date used to be called 'Dominion Day'. Some (including myself) still refer to it as such, which generates all sorts of interesting replies from people...

That roadsign you mentioned... would it be happier with an MLU sticker by chance? We could arrange same...
Old 01-07-08, 16:08

Hi David

Thanks for the B-day wishes. I recall the Brits I worked with last year being somewhat bitter about the fact that their St Georges Day has been rather downplayed by your Govm't. None the less the did the best they could. And we were sure to invite them to Canada Day later on.

It's a fine day here today and likely a nice evening. Perfect for Celebrations. My youngest gets to light off some fireworks tonite, her first time. Sadly, my medications have me off the Booze this year but it's probably "safer" that way!!!

HAPPY CANADA DAY
...or "Dominion" Day, if you prefer (I don't as we are not a Dominion)

Can I send you a small Canadian Flag decal to re-do the sign in Wellow?

regards
Darrell
Old 01-07-08, 21:05
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Canada....Different prespective..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Thanks David! July 1st 1867 is the official date the Canadas became 'the Dominion of Canada', and up until the Liberals worked their inevitable evil this date used to be called 'Dominion Day'. Some (including myself) still refer to it as such, which generates all sorts of interesting replies from people...

That roadsign you mentioned... would it be happier with an MLU sticker by chance? We could arrange same...
Jif..
I'll bet the Canadian Veterans that are fighting and dieing under The Maple Leaf are proud to call this Canada Day..
How's that for an interesting reply..
And I don't vote for Dingus Dion or Taliban Jack...