MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 25-02-22, 14:17
carrier mech

No, add another 16% or so for those.

Overall I was impressed by the prices achieved in all the auctions. The display of the lots were sometimes lacking, and some of the lots were a bit eclectic like a mix of Japanese and British items.

All that remains are the Japanese swords. They postponed it from earlier when they started getting asked way too many questions about marks, models and blade condition. They had someone knowledgeable come in and do better writeups. Just as well, I believe some Japanese swords can be pretty pricey.
Old 28-02-22, 17:21

Default Grant 1?

Is the buyer of the Grant 1 known?

Mike
Old 01-03-22, 05:17
carrier mech

I see they have put together another round of items to auction, set for 25 days away. See here: https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/Auct...&pgn=1&pgs=100

This auction is called "the forgotten shed". I recognize a couple items as "missing lots". They were not visible on the main menu of the previous auction. But when the bidding started, they showed up, however you could not place a bid on them. I believe the term is "glitch".

Last edited by rob love; 01-03-22 at 13:15.
Old 01-03-22, 15:34

3 nice looking 2in smoke bomb throwers for tanks in that lot.

Presumably live and needing licences.

Fortunately I have one already.
Old 01-03-22, 17:18
carrier mech

Are those lot numbers 270,271 and 272? The photos don't match the descriptions. The descriptions are for an oerlikon, a solothurn and a hispano. Lot 273 would appear to be an American 60mm mortar, but it's listed as an Australian 2" mortar.
Old 01-03-22, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Are those lot numbers 270,271 and 272? The photos don't match the descriptions. The descriptions are for an oerlikon, a solothurn and a hispano. Lot 273 would appear to be an American 60mm mortar, but it's listed as an Australian 2" mortar.
Hmm... you have a point... poor listing.
Old 02-03-22, 01:12

Lots 279 & 291 show a Luger pistol while the descriptions are for a Japanese pistol and a 2 inch mortar. Hmm
Old 02-03-22, 01:42
carrier mech

I guess it's kind of like when Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) says in the movie: "Do you feel lucky....well do ya, punk"?. You might get a luger, you might get a 2" mortar. I know which one I would prefer, and it's not German.

I actually bid on a lot on the first series of auctions that had a poor description and no picture. They called it "war tools" and it came right after another listing for war tools that was the same size as the mystery batch. I surmised it was for 10 of the Vickers belt awls like the previous auction, and got the batch for $27, less than half of what the proceeding lot went for.

One thing I will say about this auction house is that they are very receptive and very forthcoming. If you send them an email, they answer back quickly and do everything they can to assist. I am pretty sure the same will go for the listings. If you send them a note about an inaccuracy of a listing, they will sort it out. I saw a few of the lots in the previous auctions where the listing was changed, and it was obviously written by someone who knew what they were talking about.
Old 06-03-22, 22:35

Rob, it's funny you say they are very receptive and forthcoming. I have had nothing but silence. I have asked numerous times! As Lloyds have total access
to the highest bidders, what action is in place to protect the bidders from Lloyds increasing the bids with dummy bidders to maximize the price. I asked the question on 3 separate occasions and received only answers from the reception saying they will pass it on to the appropriate person. Again there was no response. The last one was telling them that I and other people NEVER received what was bid on as there was items missing. I was then told my questions were to be "escalated" to the Armory auctioneer and again there was no response. There are stories of people that put on a very high bid when they could not be there at the fall of the hammer only to find that they had won the bid and just happened to be the exact amount of their highest bid. Another one of my friends bought a artillery piece only to find a significant sighting part and tool box were removed and got no response or help. I was also missing numerous parts from boxes as well. I would suggest people to save the pictures of what you were bidding o and check what you get. I don't have a lot of confidence with on line auctions now and in particular Lloyds.
Old 07-03-22, 03:59

Default lloyds

basically your question is are you thieves? not likely to get a receptive answer.
Old 07-03-22, 04:51
carrier mech

I have had some of what you describe happen to me over the years at auctions Colin. At one auction, I bought a couple of airsoft M-72 launchers in their original packages. When I brought them back from the podium, I noticed one did not weigh what the other one did. Turns out it had a couple pieces of 2x4 lumber tossed into it. There was previewing going on for most of the previous day, and it likely happened then. I knew the guy who the auction was for, and when I showed him, he had the auctioneers fix it immediately.

I have also seen where, during the previews, people will move items from other lots into ones they desire, and bury them deep into the box. Sometimes it is items that belong to the set, other times it is just fraud. Problem with an auction like this is that the photos were taken months and months ago, and there could have been a lot of hands on the stuff since then. But I agree with you that if there are items missing when you go to pick it up, the auction house should make it right. But they, and not the family or owners, should take that loss, as the auction house had care and custody.
As to the max bid also being the wining bid, I have also seen some auction houses that will toss the entire max pre-bid into a live auction. I have also been at auctions where the auctioneer will have a list of pre-bids, and leaves it on the table for anyone in the front rows to see. But for an auction house to up-bid an online auction...if they got caught doing that, they would soon be out of business.

As near as I can see, the photos that were presented for this batch of auctions are still available to be viewed or saved. But once you have removed your goods from the auction house, it will be hard to prove that anything was missing. The time to do that is during pickup, and then the purchaser would have to decide if he is willing to walk away from the goods and seek a full refund.

I feel for you and others that feel they did not get what they paid for. Having been on that end of the stick myself, it doesn't feel good.
Old 07-03-22, 05:49

Harry, yes I was basically asking that question but when you get no response at all then that could be taken as a sign of guilt. I was expecting an answer of "Integrity" or it's unlawful or at least a response.
Rob, I certainly agree but I know I'm not the only one who has issues with this Auction but unfortunately we, as bidders have very little recourse.
I do know auctioneers that have asked friends to stand in the crowd to through in bids but it is a dangerous practice, however, up bidding with online auctions are almost impossible to prove.
Old 07-03-22, 06:08
carrier mech

Any decent auction does not even allow the owner of the goods to bid them up....that is shill bidding. Any auctions that knowingly allow that are auctions I don't do business with.
Old 08-03-22, 01:00

I don’t mind claiming ‘shananagins’ in these Lloyd’s auctions. I mistakenly put in a bid on a box of smoke projectiles of $565 (doesn’t worry me as they will go higher. I think I meant to put $50)
Next day I am notified that I am outbid and the winning bid is now $610.
There are 16 lots all the same. The lot after me is only at $18, the highest other is at $310. Others between $10-$50.
They are lots 130-145
Seems strange to me.
1941 Fordson WOT 2H (Unrestored)
194? Fordson WOT 2D (Unrestored)
1939 Ford 1 ton utility (Undergoing restoration)
1940 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
1941 Ford 1 ton utility (Unrestored)
BSA folding bicycle
BSA folding bicycle
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3A gun tractor
1941 Ford/Marmon Herrington 3 gun tractor (Unrestored)
1941 Diamond T 969 (Unrestored)
Wiles Junior Cooker x 2

Last edited by jack neville; 08-03-22 at 04:20.
Old 08-03-22, 03:12
carrier mech

Guys naturally want an item if someone else wants it.....it's in their nature.

But yes, it does look odd that someone is putting what is more akin to a final bid that early.
Old 09-03-22, 02:44

Default auctions

well i guess every auction, online or in person is vulnerable to that kind of thing. I don't like Dutch auctions but that might be why they exist that way.
Old 07-07-22, 10:45

Smile Is This The Last Auction?

Another Auction From the Estate, is sliding through Tonight....don't miss out on the Bargains! Cheers Andrew
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 07-07-22, 11:56
Adrian Barrell

I would advise anybody buying to collect the lots themselves.
Some of my parts had disappeared between the auction and Lloyds packing them.
Old 07-07-22, 14:51
carrier mech

I see 2 further auctions. The next one is more of the small arms, and the last one is part 15 with a lot of tank and vehicle items, along with some artillery and general bric&brac.
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/Auct...aspx?aid=32539
Old 07-07-22, 17:11
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
.... and general bric&brac
... like a CMP door ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	6187370.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	129369
https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...39&lid=3567250
Old 02-08-22, 22:42
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I didn't see this at the time, but we now know where at least one of the items has gone to; a Holden Car museum! Glad to know (NOT!) that the unsightly original patina will be removed and the gun repainted!

https://www.drive.com.au/news/holden...lls-for-45000/
Old 02-08-22, 22:48

Wow! "... used by Australian forces throughout Europe and in the Pacific Islands." Amazing!
Old 02-08-22, 22:59
carrier mech

There is another Holden 2 pounder currently on Collectors Source here in Canada for the same price, but maybe in better condition.
https://collectorssource.ca/2-pounde...-tank-gun.html
Attached Thumbnails
2_pdr_gun9aa.jpg   2_pdr_gun1aa.jpg