MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-09-07, 01:48
Blitzed

Default Just how many are still rolling?

First off, wasn't quite sure where to post this as it could fit several topics but this seems the best.
I'm wondering, does anybody know how many restored and unrestored but running WW2 AFVs and softskins are out there? Yes, a huge question I know. But breaking it down, thinking about Australia to start, for example.
How many Matilda's?
How many Lee/Grants?
How many Bren gun carriers?
How many Chev/Ford Blitz's?
The list could go on and on.
I'm not asking for ones sitting in paddocks or sheds that may be complete or not. But the ones that are still capable of being driven around by their owners or clubs whether in public or private.
Does anybody keep a register of that sort of thing?
I'm hessitant to ask about Canada, the USA or the UK as the numbers would surely skyrocket.
Just wondering.
Ryan
Old 25-09-07, 04:12
www.REMLR.com

I keep a rather large register of land rovers, and that is by no way complete.

The trouble with any listing is the unknowns. I thought I had most of the good condition ambulances listed and I saw a fresh one and 2 bodies on the weekend.

It would be interesting to know though.
Old 25-09-07, 06:06
Blitzed

Yes, your right, there'll always be unknowns and probably many of them. I'm sure there are a few people out there who have their own big toy and keep it to themselves, or are even unaware others are interested.
Even a guesstimate to start would be good though.
Old 25-09-07, 06:10
Film maker, CMP addict

Default That's a BIG question

There are a couple of Carrier databases - I have one and Salesman Bob does too - to take the Aussie carrier as an example just doing a quick estimate of the 200+ on the database I'd suggest around 15% are restored or running.

As for CMPs - anybody's guess... but there would have to be several hundred still running around the country, either restored or just being used - we should be able to beat the record of 34 in Corowa in 2002 pretty easily.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 25-09-07, 16:38
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: That's a BIG question

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
There are a couple of Carrier databases - I have one and Salesman Bob does too - to take the Aussie carrier as an example just doing a quick estimate of the 200+ on the database I'd suggest around 15% are restored or running.
And then there are the unknowns. When John Arnott was expanding his database before Year of the Carrier, he was on several occaisions contacted by people who would pass on their details with a comment like "..... and also my mate has an LP2A/ 2pdr/ English Carrier, but doesn't want ANY details listed for fear of Theft/ Tax/ Gun Laws/ Privacy reasons".
For many well founded and/or illfounded reasons people don't like their details of their property made known. Also, there would be many MV owners who are simply outside of the hobby scene and are not aware of any other owners or registers that are going on.
Old 27-09-07, 12:20
Matt McMahon

HI Guys
I know of 3 running Matilda's. 2 Maybe's. (Told they are runners but I havent seen them move !), and 3 been restored. There are also many hulls about that people are playing with.
Kind regards
Matt