MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 13-09-22, 14:35

Default Door rebuild & skin

Hi Guys,

Working through stripping doors and re-skinning outer leaf at the moment.

But would anyone happen to have any of these cast aluminum door plugs that hold the side curtains/windows in place. (please see pictures)

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpeg   image1.jpeg   DSCN6801.jpg   DSCN6796.jpg  
1940 BSA M20
1940 Morris Commercial CDSW Light Recovery
1942 CMP Chevrolet no. 12 cab
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 13-09-22, 16:51

Similar parts are available commercially but I think they may be a bit shorter than the CMP parts.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford-s...2-22047-1.html
Old 13-09-22, 16:53
MLU Administrator

I recall reading that Macs Auto Parts sells them, or used to. No idea what they are called, but maybe browsing their catalog under Ford Model T and A will turn them up?

https://www.macsautoparts.com/
Old 13-09-22, 17:22
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Similar parts are available commercially but I think they may be a bit shorter than the CMP parts.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford-s...2-22047-1.html
Check - replies crossed
Old 13-09-22, 19:43

Thanks Gents.

Don't suppose anyone knows the dimension to the lower fixing hole? Grant suggested these are a little shorter.

In the meantime I'll see if my machinist could run them out at the right price.

Cheers,

Paul
1940 BSA M20
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 13-09-22, 21:12

One complication to machining them is that the interior hole (at least on the reproductions from Mac's) is square.... with clipped corners...
Old 14-09-22, 10:20

Grant, is the internal square hole essential to be fitting of the curtain frame?

Or does this prevent the frame from wedging fast.

Paul
1940 BSA M20
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 14-09-22, 12:15

I'm honestly not sure. I don't recall seeing an original set of the curtain frames to be sure of the shape at the fixing points to the door sockets. My first thought is that a square section would prevent rotation but you idea about preventing wedging in place also makes sense. There is at least one thread on MLU discussing the side curtains and rods - now to find it and link to it...
Old 15-09-22, 04:07

I'm not sure the actual results of my search will follow from this link http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/se...earchid=972130 but the search was for curtain rods. About 4 results for cab 11 and 12 CMPs and one each for M151 and jeep.
Old 20-09-22, 03:58

Default Square it is.....

....somewhere on the forum are pictures of the round rods made square at the bottom 2 or so inches...... the square keeps the canvass window from moving in and out and is more rigid........

The Mac repro are about 3/16 too short and the screw into the bottom hole does not perfectly line up........ have not resolved that issue yet....... I considered casting in brass.......lost wax process!!!! turning on a lathe with 3/4 brass stock would be easy but as mentioned/discussed with Grant....how do you do the inside square blind hole.......

Paul the exact screw dimensions...thread size is not critical as it is hidden inside the door..... you just need to find a slotted machine screw of 10-32 or 8 -32...... basically match the hole to the screws you have......

Of all the cab I have only one tube that is in good enough shape to make a mold.

Caution: when inspecting other badly rusted cab 11 doors Grant and I discovered that there is a 1/8 inch spacer...... like a thick round penny that his spot welded on the inside the door frame of the door.....it takes up the space of the bottom tube and the frame door........ so that when you tighten the screw holding the tube it is drawn against the spacer and the tube stays straight/vertical........if I casted my own I would probably solder a piece of brass stock to the tube to increase its thickness just at the same area.

Another alternative would be to encase the tube held perfectly vertical and use epoxy to fill the gap solidly...... and still install the screw and also encased in metallic epoxy........ and pray you never have to remove it. We have had good luck with J-B weld...even sanding and tapping......I find the putty type more suitable for this kind of work as it will not run.

I have also reinforced my door frame when making them as all of the ones I had, had cracked in the narrowest portion of the frame near the door aligning wedge.....beefed up from the inside......... also deleted the retrofitted door strap device that had weakened the frame with drilled screw hole and distorted the outside skin. In other words I made my doors as original cab 11 with NO canvass door strap....... but in case I change my mind I made that section of the frame slightly wider and boxed so that if I drilled holes in the future it would be strong enough to handle it. I have pictures of these changes if you are interested.

Being and early cab 11 that stayed in Canada it never had the rubber marker lights on the front fenders (nor the rear axle blackout light) but rather relied on the extra bulb mounted inside the headlight reflectors and added signal lights on the bumper.....which are not original and I find ugly........so as a Winter project Imay rebuild myself 2 extra headlight buckets with NOS reflectors including the marker sidelights fully incorporated in the bucket....... that means having 3 wires HI- Low and marker PLUS a fourth wire to insure good ground....I have found proper bucket light sockets that fits on the under side at 5 o'clock on the bucket but they only come in single or double wire connections.....3 wires or 4 do not exist in the repro world...... MAC's in the USA has all the nifty reflectors, bulbs, lens, gaskets even Halogen bulbs meant for the repro reflectors....... which may heat too much and make me consider using the new more powerful LED bulb....if they fit. Currently running modern sealed beams hi-lo.

Let us know how you resolve that issue.......with photos....... my back pain pills are kicking in .......so time for bed.

Bob C
Canada
Old 20-09-22, 13:05

Thank you Gents most helpful as always.

Bob, yes I saw the "Pennys" and guessed this was the purpose, luckily these are still intact and of good condition.

As my truck is a mid production early 11/12 cab I don't have the need for the door restraint straps as I'd like to keep to the original format as far as practical, and one less job! The rubber side lights might need to be a necessity.

I'm not too keen on the Mac repro curtain rod locators as there appear to be chrome, the other issues will probably lead me to speak with my machinist to see if they can be cut from a solid bar of aluminum. Of the course the hole will need to be round instead of the original square hole, I think casting will be out of the question. Like yourself I only have the one good one.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Paul
1940 BSA M20
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 20-09-22, 16:48

Default The MAC tube.....

......Are cast of pot metal with a chrome finish....... I have used various repro parts over the years that were Chromed...... I simply give them a light alum. oxide sandblast and it leaves you a nice satin coat for the paint to stick to.

I need to redo the full tailgate as the only one model I have is badly busted and rusted and relys on a local fabricator to cut and do the bending around the edge......then I will weld the braces and rivet the straps in place....salvaging the original hinges....... same for the drop sides.

Cheers.
Canada
Old 20-09-22, 16:48

Default The MAC tube.....

......Are cast of pot metal with a chrome finish....... I have used various repro parts over the years that were Chromed...... I simply give them a light alum. oxide sandblast and it leaves you a nice satin coat for the paint to stick to.

I need to redo the full tailgate as the only one model I have is badly busted and rusted and rely on a local fabricator to cut and do the bending around the edges......then I will weld the braces and rivet the straps in place....salvaging the original hinges....... same for the drop sides.

Cheers.

PS must be stuttttering with double post
Canada
Old 11-10-22, 15:08

So the side door curtain rod tubes are back from my machinist, couldn't quite drill square holes but not bad I thought.

In my pile of bits I have these door curtain supports, I'm guessing I'm missing the top and maybe bottom bar supports (see photos). Is this a rod or bar that's missing, anyone got any photos of what I should be looking out for.

Cheers,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
image1(2).jpeg   image0(2).jpeg  
1940 BSA M20
1944 Bedford MWD
Old 13-10-22, 23:32

Default Previous MLU postings.......

Someone else DID post some important information on the side curtains but can't seem to find it using the search feature....

From memory there may have been more than one model of side curtains and they all called for a 3 rod concept......front angled rod that fitted into the top rod and a stand alone 3rd rod near the pivot point.....

I do have a set of curtains, in OD green from Dirk and will post pictures.....but the text that came with the posting was not saved.... parts book is useless.

Who else besides Alex has been working on cab 11 curtains????

Bob C.
Canada
Old 14-10-22, 02:00

Is this the thread?
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...hlight=curtain
See post 22 for photo of rod structure...