MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-22, 14:59
Lionel G. Evans

Default Ultrasonic Cleaners and Carburettors

Hello All,

Just wondering whether anyone has been using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean their vehicle's carburettors and other mechanical parts?

Did you think the purchase of the ultrasonic cleaner was worthwhile? If so what capacity did you buy? Do you think you should have bought a bigger capacity after you used the one you bought? If so what capacity would you upgrade to?

Looking on eBay options for things like 10, 15, 20, up to 30 litres seem to be the most frequently available choice of capacity sizes.

I have a range of carburettors that have been sitting unused for years. No doubt that before I bought the vehicles they were previously used, abused and then sat neglected. They range from the carburettor for a 216 1940 ex-Army Chevrolet-Holdens truck, and a Solex for my 1963 ex-Army Series 2A ambulance, to a Zenith Stromberg 175 CD-2 for my ex-Army Series 3 Land Rover. All carburettors need a good clean and a rebuild kit through each of them. The carburettors will be cleaned separately - not all done in the same batch.

Or are a couple of cans of carburettor cleaner still the best way to prepare a carburettor for a rebuild - without using an ultrasonic cleaner at all?

Kind regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2
Old 01-09-22, 20:59
Bluebell

Lionelgee, I have had reasonable success with white vinegar and lemon juice. They still require a bit of manual effort and will not be a patch on an ultra sonic cleaner, which I have nil experience with.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-09-22, 02:57
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Lionelgee, I have had reasonable success with white vinegar and lemon juice. They still require a bit of manual effort and will not be a patch on an ultra sonic cleaner, which I have nil experience with.
Hello Lynn,

Thank you for providing an alternative to carburettor sprays and ultrasonic cleaners.

Now where is that "Thank" button on the posting tab? Hmmm...

Kind regards
Lionel
Old 02-09-22, 08:30
MLU Administrator

I have sent a carburetor away for ultrasonic cleaning. I would not do it again, as it tends to break down the pot metal carburetor housing.

Carburetor cleaner and elbow grease is the way to go with old parts, I’d say.

A friend of mine soaks old carbs in acetone to clean it of old petrol residue
Old 02-09-22, 11:53
Bluebell

Be careful with acetone. It's great stuff but I believe it goes straight to your central nervous system, if it is absorbed though your skin.
Another thing to check out is soda blasting.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 02-09-22, 12:22
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Be careful with acetone. It's great stuff but I believe it goes straight to your central nervous system, if it is absorbed though your skin.
Another thing to check out is soda blasting.
Hello Lynn,

Soda blasting! I had forgotten all about that option. I went online and found this video from Supercheap Auto ... Accessed 2nd September 2022 from, https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/348346.html

A bit more digging then I found this link of bulk Sodium Bicarbonate Suppliers Australia https://www.australianchemicalsuppli...um-bicarbonate

Thank you for the reminder Lynn.

Kind regards
Lionel

Last edited by Lionelgee; 02-09-22 at 12:30.
Old 03-09-22, 00:31

Default ultrasonic cleaner

I purchased a ultrasonic cleaner off evilbay. it done a good job with no damage. It depends on what type of cleaning agent you put in to what job it does. I just used parts cleaner fluid diluted and put the carb in and it came out clean. I did use a toothbrush in a few spots
Old 28-01-24, 02:29
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your reply - it is much appreciated.

What brand and size ultrasonic cleaner did you buy? What make and year of manufacture carburettor did you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Was the size big enough to do the job - or with the benefit of hindsight would you buy a bigger or smaller unit? Or were you happy with the size you bought?

Last of the string of questions, Paul - what brand of parts cleaner did you use and what dilution?

Sorry, it took so long to thank you and post a reply.

Kind regards
Lioel
Old 28-01-24, 23:18

Default The real issue with any carb......

....is getting into the tiny many passage ways and jets that can be damaged by forcing steel wire to unplug them. Varnish and grit glued to varnish is the real culprit...... Today the real strong stinky carb cleaner solution is no longer available..... and you think acetone is bad!!!!! It came in five gallon cans and was usually diluted with water......... carbs had to be rinsed with boiling water...air dried and passages blown open.....carbs could not be left for more than overnight or the metal could/would get pitted... gloves would not be used or were not readily available back then...... your jeans needed a good separate wash cycle if you spilled some and you always did....... usually used a deep fryer basket but every now and then one would fall to the bottom of the can.....dipping your hand left your skin tingling and youmade a run for the garden hose....

Old carbs...core..... were worth $10 to $15 each at carb cleaner shops......last Zenith I saved 50% of the cost by bringing in boxes of complete cores as trade.

Only one good shop I am aware of in Oshawa.... the Oaks brothers( moved from the old Weston shop area)...... they still use a "flow Bench" to test rebuilds and to do the set up of the jets....... kerosene and a huge dust collector system provides the vacuum for the flow bench. They recommend keeping the carb wet when you pick it up in a Zip lock plastic bag....installed on the engine and it started right away and only needed a 1/4 turn adjustment on the idle.

Ultrasonic dealers should be able to recommend what fluid mix to use as I would be afraid of acetone fumes unless outside.

Most of these jobs are better done on a sunny day outside the shop.....

Try burning off the lead deposit inside the exhaust manifold with an Oxy torch to free up the heat riser.......... working down wind..... white smoke past the second neighbor...... no mosquitoes for 4 hours.....

Jordan Baker as even been able to restore the fancy gold plating on his rebuilt carbs bodies/parts.....
Canada
Old 29-01-24, 00:26
Lionel G. Evans

Hello Bob,

Yes, most of the highly effective chemicals have been taken off the market. After they realised how hazardous they were - unfortunately.

I did a search on the internet and found a ultrasonic cleaner manufacturer who made some recommendations about what chemicals were safe to use within an ultrasonic cleaner to clean carburettors. They start off with this warning. On that Hanno might be able to confirm... 'Using the wrong cleaning solution can damage your carburetor'.

Best Cleaning Solutions for Your Ultrasonic Cleaner

When choosing a cleaning solution for your ultrasonic cleaner, it’s important to select one that is safe for use on carburetors and will effectively remove dirt and grime. Some popular options include:

Simple Green: This environmentally friendly cleaning solution is a great choice for carburetors. It’s non-toxic and biodegradable, making it safe for use on sensitive components.

Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor Cleaner: This specialized carburetor cleaning solution is designed to remove tough deposits and contaminants from carburetors. It’s safe for use in ultrasonic cleaners and will leave your carburetor looking like new.

Purple Power Carburetor Cleaner: This powerful cleaning solution is ideal for removing heavy deposits from carburetors. It’s safe for use in ultrasonic cleaners and will leave your carburetor clean and free of debris.

Accessed 29th January 2024 from https://www.bjultrasonic.com/what-to...asonic-cleaner

Only the Simple Green is available in Australia. From the big green hardware store that puts all the old local independent hardware stores out of business. You know that one!

Kind regards
Lionel