MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-22, 18:47

Default Paint shaker......

How often have you found your favorite OD green paint all runny ontop with 3 inches of stiff paint solids in the bottom. I have OD paint that is over 10 yeras old and at Weare flea market I buy the older paint that some people sell at half
price.

In the past I used a small propeller device that screws up to the electric drill and whip away..... yes it splashes but eventually you can save the paint. Make sure you always run the final mix into a paint screen to remove any hard bits or globs of skinned paint.

I got a better solution..... I splurged on a air powered "paint shaker" from Princess AUTO onsale for $100 + Mounted it on a thick plywood and clamped to the steelwork table..... it really shakes..... speed can be controlled by the air pressure or the ball valve included. Invest in 4 PA engine rubber mount to attenuate the vibration and only clamp on a heavy table or workbench....

Ten year old paint.....open and remove about two full cups of the surface lighter paint/oil and saved for later..(carefull to use paper cups as the paint liquid WILL dissolve the plastic cups)... make sure the lid is on tight ...... shake for at least 10 minutes at medium speed....... remove and open.....check with along screw driver to see if any solids are still stuck to the bottom..... pour in the liquids previously removed to make room for the shaking..... shake again for 5 minutes.....VOILA....good paint again....mark the date last shaken on the lid. I have yet to experiment with placing glass marbles in the paint before mixing!!!!!! similar to rattle cans.

I did 6 gallon cans....... figured I recovered the purchase price of the shaker......

The machine will also do rattle cans in minutes....

So I am off to continue painting my roof....did 3 coats of semigloss for proper sealing already done...now for 3 coats of flat....... I have discovered that 3 light coats with 60 minutes flash time between......minimizes runs and get you a better even finish.........

Cheers
Canada
Old 11-08-22, 23:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
The machine will also do rattle cans in minutes....

Cheers
Sawzall and a clamp!
Lots of variations on this theme on Youtube, here's a short, sharp example;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaX7PyUctCI
Old 12-08-22, 05:18
carrier mech

I bought one of those princess auto paint shakers as well. Only used it once now, but it worked OK. A lot of the paint in my inventory is getting older, so it will be put to good use.
Old 04-09-22, 22:13

Default Inflation.........

The paint shaker I purchased at PA a few months ago at $109 Cdn on sale from $159 +- is now on sale at $159. regular at $259...... same model.....

Buyer beware..........................
Canada