MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-10, 20:27

Default Broken Vows

last year I made a vow of no more big trucks...just more manageble ones like champs and landrovers...well today Ive broken the vow...just couldnt help myself....and purchased a mint condition 1958 Zil 157K...all new tyres plus 6 good spares /CIT working...fitted with new wings and mudguards...plus the rear wooden g/s body is mint with no woodworm...plus a big box of spares...on the downside..no hoops or canvas...but Im sure bedford MK canvas can be made to fit...scraped a set of Hipo hoops at Xmas...now Ill have to make a set...even the wifes happ....Happy Easter to all from a contented trucker......malcolm PS even the weather has improved!
Old 01-04-10, 22:26
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Zil 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm erik bogaert View Post
last year I made a vow of no more big trucks...just more manageble ones like champs and landrovers...well today Ive broken the vow...just couldnt help myself....and purchased a mint condition 1958 Zil 157K...all new tyres plus 6 good spares /CIT working...fitted with new wings and mudguards...plus the rear wooden g/s body is mint with no woodworm...plus a big box of spares...on the downside..no hoops or canvas...but Im sure bedford MK canvas can be made to fit...scraped a set of Hipo hoops at Xmas...now Ill have to make a set...even the wifes happ....Happy Easter to all from a contented trucker......malcolm PS even the weather has improved!
Here is some info on Mallys new baby..

http://www.sovavto.net/ZIL/157-E.HTM
Old 01-04-10, 23:36

Default Any snaps??

Quote:
If this is the confessions thread, then I must join you Malcolm. I have also got another truck. (F15 ID thread)

Can you post any pictures of your new find/purchase??
Old 02-04-10, 15:57

Default broken vows

will post pictures when it arrives on or after 14/4/10...Ive had 3 of them before and last one went to a big collector in Australia...cheers malcolm
Old 02-04-10, 20:15

Default broken vows

herewith picture of Zil 157 that the vendor sent me regards malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2840.jpg   DSCN2841.jpg   DSCN2842.jpg   DSCN2843.jpg  
Old 02-04-10, 20:17

Default broken vows

and the rest regards malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2844.jpg   DSCN2845.jpg   DSCN2846.jpg   DSCN2847.jpg   DSCN2848.jpg  

Old 02-04-10, 23:11

Default Engine..

Quote:
and the rest regards malcolm
Looks forever like a Dodge knock off engine..
Should run forever..

Beauty truck..
Old 03-04-10, 07:08

Default Thanks for posting pictures

Great looking truck Malcolm.

Fantastic looking tyres......... what diameter is the rim? Whats the brand & price of them?

I was going to ask a hundred more questions about the truck itself but that'll do for the time being...
Old 03-04-10, 08:41
Andrew

I remember the richer for poorer and the in sickness and in health bit but would not have signed up for the no more trucks clause

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 03-04-10, 09:37
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.lec View Post
I remember the richer for poorer and the in sickness and in health bit but would not have signed up for the no more trucks clause
Let this be a warning for any MLU-ers planning matrimony: Bear this in mind. Make sure it's in the contract.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 03-04-10, 13:13
Pops

Default contract

Kathy has been a blitz widow for 34 years now.

I had my first blitz a few years before Kathy and I started going out together, I bet she now thinks maybe she was just to young to realise the implications of what this was going to become.

Just think how my blitz family has grown over the years even allowing the odd chev blitz to sneak in.

Kathy wishes she had thought of putting a clause in our contract, but I would''ve broken the contract anyway.

max
Old 03-04-10, 16:36

Default broken vows

wife number 1 didnt get the collecting buz Im afraid and departed for pastures new!however number 2 apart from being much younger has no problem with my collecting( as long as she is allowed to buy something as well!)...this time its an exercise bike!!!! tyre sizes are 18.00 x 20.00 I have no idea where they where sourced (CZ)...there are 6 spare wheels in the back but as of yet no idea as to condition of same!Russian sources form the Zil factory say the truck was reverse engineered from International K series although the engine do's have the look of a Dodge about it!best regards malcolm
Old 03-04-10, 18:10

Quote:
wife number 1 didnt get the collecting buz Im afraid and departed for pastures new!however number 2 apart from being much younger has no problem with my collecting( as long as she is allowed to buy something as well!)...this time its an exercise bike!!!! tyre sizes are 18.00 x 20.00 I have no idea where they where sourced (CZ)...there are 6 spare wheels in the back but as of yet no idea as to condition of same!Russian sources form the Zil factory say the truck was reverse engineered from International K series although the engine do's have the look of a Dodge about it!best regards malcolm
Tyre sizes are 18.00 x 20.00 ------That's one serious exercise bike!
Old 04-04-10, 15:07

Default broken vows

Grant Im afraid this side of the pond exercise bikks dont have wheels! but I get your drift cheers malcolm
Old 04-04-10, 15:08

Default broken vows

Grant Im afraid this side of the pond exercise bikes dont have wheels! but I get your drift cheers malcolm
Old 05-04-10, 12:51

Default broken vows

apart from the soviets copying Zil 157 from the American K 8 series I would also sugest that the copied there mighty Kraz 255 from either the Corbitt or the Sterling trucks as they do look identical...tlaking of copying there was a german truck in WW2 that lo0ks very familar to the British Ford Thames Trader Cab!can aybody sugest anymore copies......cheers from a rather wet noth-northumberland.malcolm
Old 05-04-10, 14:34

Default Kb 2..

Quote:
apart from the soviets copying Zil 157 from the American K 8 series I would also sugest that the copied there mighty Kraz 255 from either the Corbitt or the Sterling trucks as they do look identical...tlaking of copying there was a german truck in WW2 that lo0ks very familar to the British Ford Thames Trader Cab!can aybody sugest anymore copies......cheers from a rather wet noth-northumberland.malcolm
Mally..
I had a KB 2 International..1941 ..that I restored and it had a pre war Green Diamond 6 cylinder engine built by Rolls Royce..which was pre war..after WW2 International started building their own engines and installing them in their trucks.. so it may have been the Rolls Royce pre war version that they were copying..Interesting..looks similiar to the Dodge flat head 6..
`
Old 06-04-10, 14:44

Default broken vows

yes Alex it has the look of a Dodge about it...talking of RR engines I once bought an old Austin Champ that had been stood 25 years albiet under cover....engine was siezed solid so owner sold to me for a song...removed the head...gave piston no.1 a slight tap and engine was free...however upon removing the head everything looked brand new....vehicle is till alive and running well....take a bit of beating those good old British RR engines....best regards malcolm
Old 20-04-10, 20:13

Default broken vows

Alex here are a couple of pics of the engine!cheers malcolm PS just need to find a set of GMC type hoops and windscreen wipers and away we go
Attached Thumbnails
Mikes pictures 011.jpg   Mikes pictures 012.jpg