MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-22, 17:18

Default Bad coils?

My 67' M38A1 started and ran well 2 weeks ago on first start of season. Yesterday, after 2 weeks of rest I started the jeep and it started well. After running for 1-2 minutes it started to sputter, misfire, hesitate, idle low and finally die. It restarted but again died. After several restarts, hesitation it finally died. I took out the military manual and looked under the quick trouble shooting guide and under cranking, starting followed by hesitation, misfire and stalling only two areas came up. Check fuel (full tank of fuel) and check coil. So, I replaced the coil and tried to restart but the jeep cranked but did not start. I then put in a second new aftermarket coil but it too cranked but did not start. I then checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line after the filter (just before the carb) and cranked the engine-fuel energetically spurted out into a container. So, are the aftermarket coils bad? Or is there another issue that I have not addressed? I have had the jeep since 2017 and after 5000 miles of trouble free starting & running I never had this starting issue. The jeep has been restored from 2009-2011 which included carb and fuel pump rebullds. The jeep is always parked in a locked garage so I am assuming that no animals have hidden in any air intakes as I do have a full military snorkle kit.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. lk