MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-12, 20:35

Smile CMP F15 open cab?

On a modelling site I visit a new company is releasing a resin 1/35 scale F15 11 cab but it is an open cab without windscreen and roof, the cab being level at door height. When I question the fact that there was no windscreen or roof I was told that "of course they were made in this open cab style"

I know of field mods made to remove the windscreen and roof so guns can be mounted in the rear but apart from the missing roof and windscreen this is a standard 11 cab F15.

So did they make these without windscreen and roof?

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 10-02-12, 21:03
MLU Administrator

Cliff,

No, indeed they were not manufactured without roof.

The roof was often removed in service in hot climates, however.

Hanno
Old 10-02-12, 22:54

That is what I thought Hanno.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
Old 11-02-12, 00:10
GM Fox I

I'm not so sure. I recall a reference to a series of open cabs. Something like a 43 cab was the open version of a 13 cab.
Old 11-02-12, 00:44

Default Lots of Pattern 12 with no cab top fewer Pattern 13

Did a quick search of the MLU forum it looks like the 43 Cab references all go along with the truck mounted bofors which was I believe on a 3 ton chassis.

There have been lots of period pictures of various CMPs both Ford and Chevy with the cab tops and often the windscreens removed. Closest that I have spotted to some thing that was intentionally built that way are the gun portees which had folding windscreens. Lots of North Africa pictures of various cargo trucks with improvised gun mounts where the windscreen has been removed allow firing forward.

Given the basically fragile windscreen posts on pattern 11 and 12 cabs I suspect that the removal of the cab tops was followed by the removal of the windscreen when one of the side posts failed. The design of the Pattern 13 windscreen post is much more substantial.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-02-12, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I'm not so sure. I recall a reference to a series of open cabs. Something like a 43 cab was the open version of a 13 cab.
I am talking about a standard cab less windscreen and roof NOT a purpose designed open cab.

The picture below which comes from Service Publications Factory Photo CD is the cab/vehicle I am talking about, and in fact the model is based on this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
AT-288.jpg  

Old 15-02-12, 16:10
British Indian Army

Default What about this?

Or was it just a very low bridge!
Attached Images

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 23-02-12, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
On a modelling site I visit a new company is releasing a resin 1/35 scale F15 11 cab
LZ Models isn't new company, they released several kits. But CMP F15 Cab 11 is their new release and it's the first one from CMP family. I've received this kit yesterday and this is excellent kit.

BTW, I'm trying to find photos of F15s from 1940-1941 and Tobruk siege period. I'm not sure if Polish Carpathian Rifle Brigade could use one but they had some Polish, French, British and Australian equimpent plus some captured German and Italian. There are no complete list of vehicles and I'm not sure if I can build that kit with Polish markings.
Old 23-02-12, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Mikolajski View Post
LZ Models isn't new company, they released several kits. But CMP F15 Cab 11 is their new release and it's the first one from CMP family. I've received this kit yesterday and this is excellent kit.
Piotr I don't doubt it is an excellent kit of a vehicle that was not supplied from the factory with no roof or windscreen.

BUT it is a pity that a model manufacturer did not do a bit more research and make the kit correct instead of basing it on one photo of a partly built truck at the factory.

Old 29-02-12, 18:10

Quote:
Piotr I don't doubt it is an excellent kit of a vehicle that was not supplied from the factory with no roof or windscreen.
This kit is researched a little bit deeper than just one photo. LZ Models will release several other variants including field conversions.

You shouldn't forget that modelling market has its own rights like releasing kits which are base for further conversions. Many modellers don't want to remove cab on their own, several others will not buy this kit and wait for "full cab" set.

Last but not least - you may use this kit to build this particular vehicle from the photo mentioned above so from modelling point of view it's well done.
Old 29-02-12, 18:41

Smile

you also must remember that the manufacturerer claimed to me on another site that this model was of a vehicle that came from the factory as it is with no roof or windscreen and told me to look at Service Publications Factory Photo CD for proof. Proof was one photo of a partly assembled truck. With a comment like this it is easy to believe that not much research was done and the kit was released incomplete. As to modellers having their own rights so do hotrodders and restorerers although finished vehicles are totally different between the two they both have their uniqueness.

I will not comment any further on this kit or it's maker which I believe you either are or are in close contact with except to say IT IS A NICE KIT IN MY OPINION BUT A PITY IT IS NOT OF A TRUE FACTORY FINISHED PRODUCT!

Perhaps you would like to send me a kit and I'll do an honest review of it for you!

Old 04-03-12, 20:30

Hi guys
I dont see any problem here, I wanted this first variant released without closed cab, because it simply suits much more to modellerīs needs. Full cab variant is coming in a couple of weeks, and it will be true factory finished product then
My mistake was that I mentioned somewhere I believed it was produced also as a open cab variant. A few pictures with open cab vehicles looked very same like the others taken at factory yard and showing fully finished vehicles, and then it was easy to believe they might be finished as well. I have spent many months by doing research, but no one could give me clear and documented answer about this
Libor
Old 04-03-12, 22:53

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libor Zachoval View Post
Hi guys
Full cab variant is coming in a couple of weeks, and it will be true factory finished product then
Libor
Hi Libor,

Have you an idea of what the cost of a complete kit will be please?

Old 05-03-12, 22:22

Hi Cliff
the price will be around 50 euro, should be available in some 4 weeks. I believe soon I will be able to switch our kits into plastic, and all new kits might be cheaper.
Cheers
Libor
Old 05-03-12, 22:56

Smile

That's good Libor. I may wait until the plastic variety is available as it is easier to work with. New 1/35 plastic kits of #11 & #12 cab CMP's would be very welcome out there followed by #13 cab versions.

I look forward to seeing them in real time

Old 11-03-12, 17:15

Quote:
That's good Libor. I may wait until the plastic variety is available as it is easier to work with. New 1/35 plastic kits of #11 & #12 cab CMP's would be very welcome out there followed by #13 cab versions.

I look forward to seeing them in real time
only note, have two picture C-15a (?) Indian product open cab, without roof,
Tom
Old 11-03-12, 19:51
David Pope

Piotr, here's a link to a thread on western desert pictures.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2