MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-13, 01:16

Default Wireless Set No. 52 Cdn - Input Power

What are the options for operating this set as a"permanent" base station in a fixed location for extended periods of time? Is the PSU in the set only able to input 12V DC - i.e. batteries or chore horse operation? I know the Remote Receiver came with it's own PSU that was either DC or AC capable. The Vehicle and Ground Station Manual for the set only references DC input options for the set. The TX draws about 40 amps, which is quite a load. The set has always intrigued me but operating one at home with a whack of wet cells lurking about is not appealing.

David
Old 01-04-13, 02:28
GM Fox I

Default I use one of these for my 52 set

Get yourself a CPP2 metallic rectifier. They are 1950's era and turn up. The good is they get hot enough to keep your coffee warm. The bad is they make your electric meter spin out of control.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060421.jpg  
Old 01-04-13, 02:51

Hi Bruce.

I have a CPP2 with my C42 Ground Station and you are right about it keeping the Timmies warm! Never bothered to look at the Hydro Meter when it was running, but then here in Manitoba hydro is cheaper than dirt and with this Spring's snow melt just around the corner, the reservoirs will be topped up again quite nicely.

The problem I see with the CPP2 is it only puts out 22 amps. That would drive a 52-Set in Rx mode but would fail miserably if the Tx were ever fired up. I suppose one could hook 3 Cpp2's up to get a 66 amp output, but then I would have to take apart my wireless set line distribution system and upgrade the wiring to handle it. Then I would be broke and not be able to buy a 52-Set.

David
Old 01-04-13, 03:32

Default Curious.....

If a 52 set draws 22 amps on RX and TX at 40 amps,,,

How much does the 42 set draw in RX and Tx ....?

and how much does the 19 set draw....?
....any diffrence in A or B mode??

Bob C
Canada
Old 01-04-13, 12:03

Figures I have for the 19 are A+B plus IC on 10A receive and 11.6A transmit.

HP Set transmit 18A.

The figures I have for the 52 are MCW on HP 45A, CW on HP 57A.
Receive is 3.3A, Standby 6.5A.

Source Wireless for the Warrior.
Old 01-04-13, 17:34
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Prior to getting the AC supply for the 19 set I ran it from a pair of 12 batteries using a switch panel much like a C5 charging board. When one battery got down I could switch to a fresh one and the other one was connected to a charger.

I'm not aware of a "base" AC supply for the 52 set. There were other options for base sets like the C43 set.

There are switching supplies available now in fairly high current ratings like:
http://www.durhamradio.com/jetstream...er-supply.html

The problem with using a regulated supply is the inrush current to bring the dynamotor up to speed. The CPP2 is a brute force power supply. It only has rectification and filtering.

Maybe parallel a battery across a 12 supply.
Old 01-04-13, 21:00

Default Bob

The C42 is a fairly tame beast current wise. Assuming you are running it on a 24V supply, it draws the following amps:

Rx 4.9amps
Tx LP 5.5 amps
TX HP 8.3 amps

Communication range was rated at 15 miles HP and 4 miles on LP. The CPP2 driving it provides 11 amps in 24V DC mode and 22 amps in 12V DC mode, so it is more than capable of running the C42, a standard 19-set or even a vehicular mounted PRC-77 rig with a nice reserve.

David
Old 01-04-13, 21:59

Default Relieved....

Thanks guys.

Now I know that I can run the 42 and 19 on the CPP 2 power supply with no worries. I like Bruce's idea of using a good 12 volt bat. in parallel to handle the surge in demand.

Biggest challenge is negotiating a room in the house from the wife for the set up.

Bob
Canada
Old 02-04-13, 01:48

The ZE12 PSU was developed for use with the Remote 52-Set Receiver. I took a quick look in my 52-Set Manual and could not find a reference to the output amps for the ZE12. I assume it would be low, based on the draw for the receiver when in use.

Am I correct in assuming the ZE12 can only be used with the remote receiver, with the appropriate adapter cable that incorporates the large Marconi plug at the receiver end?

David
Old 02-04-13, 20:45
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Am I correct in assuming the ZE12 can only be used with the remote receiver, with the appropriate adapter cable that incorporates the large Marconi plug at the receiver end?

David
The ZE12 can only supply the receiver. If you look at the WS52 manual the actual main power supply consists of 2 motor generators and a vibrator supply.

One MG supplies 300 volts to the transmitter for low voltage circuits and the other MG supplies the plate voltage. The built in vibrator supplies the receiver.
When using the receiver as a remote you only need the vibrator equivalent hence the ZE12.