MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 08-01-12, 06:29
Alberta, Canada

Default 1954 M37 CDN Question

I have started restoring a 1954 M37 CDN that is a little different. There is a radio rack across the front of the box, One set of seats in the box, metal document box mounted in the inside of the box, two battery racks under the radio racks in box, and two power connects mounted into the box.

There are a couple of questions. On the back (end) floor of the box there is a plate mounted there. It has a lip on the front side with a "T" screw down bracket on the back side. Wondering what it was used for. It was suggested that a wire spool holder could have been mounted there for laying down Field Telephone wire. Position would be right.

Also there are a number of holes on the sides of the hard top. Same on both sides. Told that they were antenna mounts and have also been suggested that there may have been a basket on the roof as well. Open to more ideas if anyone knows the hole pattern.

And finally wondering which radio and antenna would have been used on this unit.

Thanks Guys
Attached Thumbnails
m37 001.jpg   m37 106.jpg   m37 002.jpg   m37 100.jpg   m37 169.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Brown; 08-01-12 at 06:40. Reason: add photo
Old 08-01-12, 06:51

What you have what I believe is a M42 Command Truck.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m37_m42.php
Old 08-01-12, 10:56

The documents box looks similar or the same as the one that was fitted inside the M series 1/4 ton trailer IIRC.

R
Old 08-01-12, 16:32
Brian Asbury

Default M37

The plate with the "T" screw hold down is to hold the 300 watt " chore horse" so the batteries could be kept charged during radio operation.
There are no features on this truck that compare to the M42 Command version (which featured a special work table, a reel map light, special side curtains and end curtains that went under the standard canvas cargo cover).
The C42 set was probably installed for most of the life of this truck although it is possible that in 1954 a No.52 Set might have been used.
..... Brian
Old 08-01-12, 17:27
carrier mech

Along with the tray mounted on the front of the box for the radio trays, there is also supposed to be another shelf mounted above that on the superstructure. As well, there should be a 3/4 plate of plywoos on top of the main bracket you do have. There are still plenty of those (along with most of the other pieces) at the local military scrapyard. There was also a couple brackets on the left side of the cargo box which I believe were for an antenna mast.

I used to have the installation and operators manual for C42 Dual IKEE installation in truck M37, but think I loaned it out a couple of decades ago and never got it back. I'll have a look downstairs and see if I have it or not but I don't think so. Derk Derin might have a copy.
Old 09-01-12, 15:27

Default CFR number

Hello

What would your CFR number be and serial, so that it can be added to Clive Ramtank registry web page

Thanks
Eric
Old 11-01-12, 03:37
Alberta, Canada

Thanks really would appreciate it. Trying to find the mast (or even pix's).