MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-07-11, 14:16
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Default Cf plastic fuel containers

plenty of times, a full 20 litre container will be extremely difficult to open, esp if its hot and the contents have expanded a bit.

Ive been using an oil filter wrench to loosen the lids, but just wondered from ex forces types how they dealt with this...if there is another technique.
Old 23-07-11, 14:24

Any kind of plastic fuel container are junk in my humble opinion, wont use them. We use the Brit style steel ones. Just love them.

R
Old 23-07-11, 15:29

The old Key was not to put 20 liters in a 20 liter can,just about 17 or 18 to leave room for expantion. They can be a bear, but they will come.
Jason
Old 23-07-11, 15:38

Frankly I disagree with you.

The plastic ones are very difficult to open, especially if the ambient air temperature is significantly colder than when filled.

As a property manager we use in the work place all NOS steel ones that have a cam over centre cap closure. As long as the seal is in good condition they dont leak.

I have yet to find a plastic one of comparable quality.

Thankfully my MV interests are of British kit so the steel ones are correct.

The cross over into my work for the same style of container is grand

R
Old 23-07-11, 18:46

Default special tool used

I remember being out in the field and pulled up to a line of plastic cans to fill up a 5/4 ton. We had a hell of a time to undo the lids and picked the easier ones. It took two guys to open one can.

The Service Battalion types laughed at us and then produced a tool they had made to go over the top of the lid and spin it. They used these to close the lids as well after filling them up. I guess we were a source of entertainment for a while.

I have made one up from memory, and it works.

If there is an interest i can get more made. Not sure what the price will be but i can guarantee you will never have a problem opening a plastic can again. Plus if somebody steals your full can they will never open it without it if you use it to close it.

Eric
Old 23-07-11, 19:14

There seems to be 2 versions of the Scepter plastic jerry cans. Early ones with a round hole in the sealing face for venting and the later ones with an oblong hole for venting .
The early ones seems to have more examples where the cap is hard to screw on/off regardless if it is under pressure/vacuum.
When those cans pressure up or get a vacuum on them they are nearly impossible to open by hand I use a strap wrench picked up from C-tire for just that.

The later style can still be tough to open when under pressure/vacuum but can be done by hand.

When I buy the plastic CF jerry cans now I make sure I only by the later style ones.
Personally I prefer the plastic jerry cans over the older steel ones, they are way tougher than the steel ones, they do not rust and do not get near the condensation in them, plus they do not leak.

Matthew
Old 24-07-11, 00:02
MUTT Guy

Hammer, blunt end of an Axe, Rocks, bear hugging the can and smashing the top against something...... You usually ended up buggering up the nubs on the cap, but all methods work depending on how bad you wanted the contents. Heating a tent with a Yukon Stove pretty much guaranteed that the can was going to lose.