MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 10-08-10, 23:43

Default Bren Carrier in a Crate

Years ago, well about 1978 to be approximate, I often heard of a few crated new Carriers in crates. In fact, I did know where there was one, at Crook Brothers near Preston where I bought a Half Track from. I seem to recall that when that was sold, the owner made a video/cine film of the cracking open of the crate. Now that would be a seriously great movie to get on here or Utube. Can anyone recall this? What about other brand new Brens, does anyone have one out of a box?
Old 11-08-10, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew honychurch View Post
Years ago, well about 1978 to be approximate, I often heard of a few crated new Carriers in crates. In fact, I did know where there was one, at Crook Brothers near Preston where I bought a Half Track from. I seem to recall that when that was sold, the owner made a video/cine film of the cracking open of the crate. Now that would be a seriously great movie to get on here or Utube. Can anyone recall this? What about other brand new Brens, does anyone have one out of a box?
Andrew,

I knew of one out of a crate, in Sussex, the owner used to bring it out on occasions, last I saw of it was on a RBL Parade at Cranbrook, it was still as it left the factory, with the maple leaf transfers on the side......sadly it broke down with a duff coil.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 11-08-10, 01:13
Harold

Many many years ago there was an army surplus store in Toronto Ontario called Hurcules, that had jeeps and harley davidson and tryumph motor cycles brand new in crates. You could buy one for 495$cdn. They still had the original packing grease on them.... if one only knew.... what they would be worth today!
Old 11-08-10, 03:26

Default That's Hercules Sales...

...their bike shop was on Wellesly just east of Yonge. Just bikes no vehicles.
Nortons were $99. We bought one used for $75. Harleys were $199.
But don't forget that was 6 weeks take home. Some Harley's were very low mileage.
They had 15 cwt's and jeeps out on Dundas St. near Runnymede and later
Triumph TRW's at their other Dundas St. location.
No. 1 Mk. 3 curved guard bayonets were $2.50, .303's were $9.99.
38 sets $10.

You're right..the good old days.
Old 11-08-10, 03:51
Harold

King Sols had enfields and mausers all mint condition with matching numbers for 29.95cdn. They came with bayonets and slings. They had them standing in wooden barrels
Old 12-08-10, 22:39

Hi there is one that i know of still in its box its in a very poor state.
its at jacksons the old rocket site there on milweb i asked if it was for sale and got a very short and sharp NO.
cheers martyn
Old 12-08-10, 23:20

come to think of it, I recall them having one. They would have bought it at the same auctions that the Crook Brothers bought theirs I assume. Like all things, by the end of the war the war machine was churning out paraphernalia at a rate of knots much to be left unused. I recall my father having sales catologues for crated Spitfires for something like £800. A story he loves to regale to me. However, one forgets that £800 back then was a serious ammount of money. Anyway, I wouldnt mind guessing that there are one or two carriers in crates still left. I do know where there is a delivery mileage Windsor. Sitting in a shed, its actually in gloss green but has 87 miles , from recollection on the clock and has its full tilt still erected. The man will not sell but he wont ever do anything with it either, so rest assured it will appear one day. I am monitoring it.
Old 13-08-10, 10:55
Richard Harrison

people like that frustrate the hell outa me, like the crated item by the time those guys want to let go (of their nest egg) it will be totally rusted out and worth a whole bunch less... reminds me of the spoilt kid back at school "Its my ball and you cant play with it" hehehehehe.

i have heard of a pair of spitfires buried in a concrete box here in Northumberland not far from an airfield...similar stories all around the UK it may seem. might have to do a bit diggin......now that would be a nest egg and a half.

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 13-08-10, 13:51

Default bren gun carier in crate

Richard that story has been doing the rounds all my life...I knew the scrap man who emptied the airfield and he got every last thing...I had the station clock!some years ago I located the bulldozer driver who told me the true story...side of hill was scraped away and all the unwanted stuff was buldozed in and recovered with soil and not concrete as the myth has it!...I know where it is but a gravel company are now mining there...he also showed me where the AA gun was sited and in the stream there where still empty cases....on a more positive note Im currently awaiting permission to explore the old Stobs Camp site as there may be a Carrier in the bog although one local reckons its a Valentine Tank which was bogged by the Poles best regards malcolm
Old 13-08-10, 14:56
Richard Harrison

keep me posted Malcolm i will come along with you

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 13-08-10, 15:29
John Forsey

Default Crated carrier

The carrier in a crate belonged to Bob White, a Cornish farmer. Yes he did video the opening of the crate and all tools were inside. The carrier regularly attends the August bank holiday rally at Stockland Hill in East Devon. John.
Old 13-08-10, 15:40

Default Do you know if the video has been posted?

Hi John

That's an interesting bit of news being interesting to see a carrier or any vehicle uncrated after 60-70 years. Pictures of the crate would be interesting can you think of a dummy load for a cargo truck that would be more eye catching.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 13-08-10, 22:48
John Forsey

Default carrier in a crate

I have just contacted a friend of mine and he has the video of the carrier coming out of its crate.I will try to find someone to transfer it onto a cd disc.I have no idea of utube, sorry, John.
Old 15-08-10, 21:01

Bob White brought his carrier to our veterans parade at Weymouth a couple of years ago. Hardley any miles on the clock and all the original stencil markings present. He did have problems with the ignition wiring and was attended to on a regular basis by a very nice man from the AA. He was going to lend me his sand guards to copy. But I managed to locate some from a carrier already in bits. Ron
Old 16-08-10, 08:22

Thanks John, so I am not going bonkers with old age. If you can get me a cd of it, with his permission I will gladly upload it to UTube or similar for all to see. I have sent you a private mail with my address if you wish me to do this. thx for the reply Andrew