MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-10-05, 10:44

Default Seaforths in Eastbourne ...

Thanks very much indeed, John, for your replies. I had some of the information from the WD but had not seen the book. It is all most interesting. The downing of the FW-190 is still remembered in the town.

In 2004, I was lucky enough to trace the pilot of the 2nd a/c and I interviewed him in Germany. He remembers the events of that day and I will include his story in the book "Canucks by the Sea", which I'm writing for Eastbourne Local History Society.

Renewed thanks.

Mike
Old 16-10-05, 10:53

Default Seaforths Museum ...

I forgot to ask in my previous post whether someone can give me a contact e-mail address for the Museum of the Seaforths. I believe that parts of the FW190 are in display.

Mike
Old 16-10-05, 13:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Seaforths Museum ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I forgot to ask in my previous post whether someone can give me a contact e-mail address for the Museum of the Seaforths. I believe that parts of the FW190 are in display.

Mike
Hi Mike;

E-mail address for the Seaforth Museum: The Museum Staff and their postal address:

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
Regimental Museum
1650 Burrard Street
Vancouver, B.C.
V6J 3G4, Canada

Cheers
Old 17-10-05, 16:53
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Alfriston

Camp Shilo in Manitoba is the Home Station of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery. When the married quarters were being constructed in the 1950's the street names were chosen for towns that the Gunners had been stationed in while in the UK during WW II.

Alfriston Crescent is the street assigned to senior NCO's and their families.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 07-11-05, 19:59

Default Alfriston ...

Thanks for that piece of information. I guess they were remembering the artillery ranges which were situation around the village of Alfriston.

Mike
Old 06-12-06, 22:03

Hello,
I am looking to for information too on Canadian soldiers stationed aound this area, at Cuckmere Haven during World War 2. My father served in special section of the English home guard and did his training with th em.He became personal friends with many of them.Some time around 1940 he witnessed some Canadian soldiers killed by ME110s.He never forgot this incident and used to lay poppies in one of the bomb craters on Rememberance Day..He died in 2004. Over the years he had become friends with a family int the adjacent Coastguard cottages and they instigated a memorial to these Canadians on this spot.It was dedicated 2 weeks ago.It also mentions my Dad in relation to a quote by him on the incident. However last weekend a local newspaper report questioned its validity.I am therefore trying to find more information. Any help would be appreicated.Thanks.
Old 06-12-06, 22:16

Regarding the river training at the Cuckmere. My Dad wrote the following.

"The next task was to jump the main brook by the track to Cuckmere and then run over to the large pond, where a rope ladder was fixed onto steel pipes at each side of the pond, and whilst hanging across the pond horizontally about eight feet above the water, you had to jump up grab the rope ladder and swing yourself across. By now you began to fell the strain, whilst you were working yourself across the pond a number 69 Blast Grenades were thrown into the pond and exploded under the water. Mud and water covered you, and the noise, you had to be fit, if you fell off, well just to bad, you went down and stuck in the vile black mud. God that was a trip, and did you stink, on you had to go, fix your bayonet and charge at sacks some filled with straw, while others were filled with pig intestines. As you lunged the bayonet into the sacks you had to scream, you really got hard you just did not care about anything"
Old 06-12-06, 22:31
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryNorman
Hello,
I am looking to for information too on Canadian soldiers stationed aound this area, at Cuckmere Haven during World War 2. My father served in special section of the English home guard and did his training with th em.He became personal friends with many of them.Some time around 1940 he witnessed some Canadian soldiers killed by ME110s.He never forgot this incident and used to lay poppies in one of the bomb craters on Rememberance Day..He died in 2004. Over the years he had become friends with a family int the adjacent Coastguard cottages and they instigated a memorial to these Canadians on this spot.It was dedicated 2 weeks ago.It also mentions my Dad in relation to a quote by him on the incident. However last weekend a local newspaper report questioned its validity.I am therefore trying to find more information. Any help would be appreicated.Thanks.
Hi Mary,

I just want to jump in here as one of the few women members, to say a special hello and a welcome to you! I suspect that you'll find out a lot in here, and hope that's true. I know that if I were in your shoes, regards the doubting report, I would trust my fathers story and actions for so many years, more than I would the report writer. I hope you get your fathers story validated quickly.

Your father sounds like he was a wonderful man. I love the story about his remembering these men with the poppies

Karmen.
Old 06-12-06, 22:40

Thanks Karmen for the welcome.
Great to meet you too.
Mary
Old 19-12-06, 21:45

Sorry to re post on this subject of the Canadians killed at Cuckmere but i wanted to make it clear that I do not doubt my fathers story or that he witnessed the solders being killed at Cuckmere.

On a slightly differant note I notice that a while back someone was discussing Exceat Bridge and if it was fitted with explosives.I can confirm it was .

My Dad said the following about it..

"I helped to set the charges and fuses under the Exceat Bridge ready to blow it up, this was a most vital point in the defence of Newhaven Harbour if the Germans invasion began, which could happen at any time. We had to be prepared in case they broke through and thrust their tanks forward to take Newhaven.We must be prepared to meet them and not let them have easy access.We always were prepared for German parachutes to drop and try to take this vital bridge, so a full Platoon stationed there with guards on the bridge at all times."

Mary